Killer Astroid

Only tiny asteroids can hit the earth, a big asteroid will have enough mass that it will be captured by the sun's gravitational pull. An Asteroid with enough mass will be deflected by the opposing magnetic forces of our planet as well as the bigger planets in our solar system. We have a perfect solar system designed to protect us from big asteroids, our planet would of been destroyed eons go if another truth exsisted.

It's hardly a debate...

There is a lot more evidence that the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs was the Chicxulub asteroid in the Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico then against. The only argument that people put against it is that that asteroid hit 300,000 years prior and caused ANOTHER mass extinction.

However, that crater alone kills off your statement that the Earth is invulnerable to Life ending asteroid hits

tell that to the dinosaurs

A what killed the dinosaur debate, great, so how does the theory go, theory being an idea that is not proven.

That is only true for the very ignorant. Theory, in science, is a broad overarching explanation for how a natural process works. It can never be proven, and can only be falsified.

A theory, in the scientific sense of the word, is an analytic structure designed to explain a set of empirical observations. A scientific theory does two things:

Theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
it identifies this set of distinct observations as a class of phenomena, and

makes assertions about the underlying reality that brings about or affects this class.

In the scientific or empirical tradition, the term "theory" is reserved for ideas which meet baseline requirements about the kinds of empirical observations made, the methods of classification used, and the consistency of the theory in its application among members of the class to which it pertains. These requirements vary across different scientific fields of knowledge, but in general theories are expected to be functional and parsimonious: i.e. a theory should be the simplest possible tool that can be used to effectively address the given class of phenomena.

Only tiny asteroids can hit the earth, a big asteroid will have enough mass that it will be captured by the sun's gravitational pull. An Asteroid with enough mass will be deflected by the opposing magnetic forces of our planet as well as the bigger planets in our solar system. We have a perfect solar system designed to protect us from big asteroids, our planet would of been destroyed eons go if another truth exsisted.

Completely wrong. How did you ever come up with that? More than likely, our moon is the result of an interplanetary collision of the primodial Earth with a Mars sized object.

The Origin of the Moon

For this theory to work, however, we must place certain restrictions on events:
The impacting object must be much smaller than the Earth, or the Earth would break apart. But it must also be much larger than the Moon, because most of the material broken off the Earth will fall back to the Earth or escape into interplanetary space. For this reason, in the original version of this theory, it was proposed that the impacting object was about the size of Mars, which is ten times smaller than the Earth, and ten times bigger than the Moon, so that it is sort of in-between in size.
The impact must be a glancing blow, and must occur after the Earth has started to melt and differentiate, so that mostly lower-density mantle rocks are thrown into space. Otherwise, we won't be able to explain the Moon's low density.
The impact must occur long enough ago so that the Moon's rocks can be blasted into space, form into the Moon, melt and differentiate, and then resolidify, all before the 4.4 billion year age of highland rocks.
We believe that the planets started to form 4.5 billion years ago. Based on current theory, they melted primarily from the heat of short-lived radioactive materials which would have decayed and dissipated their energy within 30 to 50 million years. So we need to melt the Earth, blast out the Moon, reform the Moon, and melt it within this time period. Once that is accomplished, we have another 50 to 70 million years to resolidify the lunar surface rocks. With this time scale, for all practical purposes, the Moon has always been in orbit around the Earth, or at least for 4.47 or so of the 4.5 billion years since the Earth started to form.

tell that to the dinosaurs

A what killed the dinosaur debate, great, so how does the theory go, theory being an idea that is not proven.

That is only true for the very ignorant. Theory, in science, is a broad overarching explanation for how a natural process works. It can never be proven, and can only be falsified.

A theory, in the scientific sense of the word, is an analytic structure designed to explain a set of empirical observations. A scientific theory does two things:

Theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
it identifies this set of distinct observations as a class of phenomena, and

makes assertions about the underlying reality that brings about or affects this class.

In the scientific or empirical tradition, the term "theory" is reserved for ideas which meet baseline requirements about the kinds of empirical observations made, the methods of classification used, and the consistency of the theory in its application among members of the class to which it pertains. These requirements vary across different scientific fields of knowledge, but in general theories are expected to be functional and parsimonious: i.e. a theory should be the simplest possible tool that can be used to effectively address the given class of phenomena.

Old Crock goes off half cocked, where are you in the geothermal debate, cant cut it supporting your lies so you take a jab at me here. In the geothermal debate you cited a source you claim proved my post a lie.

Old Crock posts bullshit without even reading his own source as old crock proved in energy under the geothermal thread

Old Crock's post cited a source to discredit my source but Old Crock did not read the article or the source Old Crock used, turns out that the source Old Crock used was the same as my source, pretty funny, Old Crock claims my source as wrong by using my source as evidence.

So Old Crock, go back to geothermal under energy instead of being a coward, what a worthless liar you are, I am surprised the Liberal's dont tell you to take a hike, I guess if your a Liberal they will support an outright liar as long as the liar is a liberal.

very sad indeed

http://www.usmessageboard.com/energy/81192-geothermal-energy-for-the-future-2.html

Last edited:
Well Frank, I looked it up, and you are correct. Diorite is harder than Granite. Teach me to answer off the top of my head. However, that still changes nothing, many other civilizations older than that of Puma Punka did equal or better work in Diorite. The Egyptions even made vases of diorite.

Well Frank, I looked it up, and you are correct. Diorite is harder than Granite. Teach me to answer off the top of my head. However, that still changes nothing, many other civilizations older than that of Puma Punka did equal or better work in Diorite. The Egyptions even made vases of diorite.

I see old crock still wont correct old crocks lie, too bad, I am happy about this, it shows the character of the liberal/marxist, its okay to lie as long as your a liberal/marxist telling lies to advance marxism.

Saul Alinsky hard at work

Old Crock, how about this thread;

http://www.usmessageboard.com/environment/92812-lol-5.html

you going to dispute your source that proves you wrong.

Seriously old crock, this will make two threads you must hide from.

Old Crock has proven himself an idiot, imagine telling someone they are wrong, posting a source such as Scientific America, and the source actually is damaging to Old Crock, you are a fool. Only a fool posts articles without reading the article, only a fool runs and hides from his own post.

Go ahead, go dispute geothermal, coward.

I would like to change the tack on this thread and ask the questions..."If you knew a killer astroid was going to impact earth ...and you knew it was not going to hit your town but to survive you need to hide underground for a year and start over ..would you do it? Who would you take with you? Would you go solo?, or with a group of trusted friends? Would you do what the government told you to do? Would you abide by our laws or under the circumstance all bets are off take what you can ..everyone for themself." Obviously there would be Marshal law so do you chance getting shot over some bottled water or organize and go in strong and clear out a few soldiers and make them retreat so you can get what you might need to survive?

Soldiers ..national guard ... would be spread out thin and they would have no reinforcements. Yours and your families lives are on the line..what would you do to survive?

The problem is not just the impact itself, there are the secondary effect of a large asteroid hitting to consider

For example, how much of a shake would it take to pop the top off the Yellowstone Caldera or create another Toba? Probably not much and something that a large asteroid hitting elsewhere on Earth could precipitate

But OR, don't you see what this means?!

Look at the remaining stone at Puma Punku, they fit together like Lego pieces and they are made of a stone that can only be accurately cut with a diamond drill. Maybe a laser could make those cuts, I'm not sure, but the stone masons tell me that its most likely a diamond drill -- at a site that was abandoned when Europeans were wearing loin cloth.

Thank you for being sincere!

Look at the remaining stone at Puma Punku, they fit together like Lego pieces and they are made of a stone that can only be accurately cut with a diamond drill. Maybe a laser could make those cuts, I'm not sure, but the stone masons tell me that its most likely a diamond drill -- at a site that was abandoned when Europeans were wearing loin cloth.

Has anyone ever advanced this theory? What if they moved these big rocks to the base of a waterfall and stacked some big logs end for end up a couple of hundred feet tall and had the waterfall fall into them creating high preaqsure at the bottom. if they injected sand into the bottom "nozzel" with the high preassure water and it could be moved around to a degree they could easily cut the profiles shown. Check out water jet machining. One thing you should look at when trying to figure out ancient technology is what THEY were looking at. They saw rocks worn smooth at the base of waterfalls laying next to rough ones nearby that were not getting hit by the natural errosion of falling water mixed with sand. I believe this is the simplest answer.

I would like to change the tack on this thread and ask the questions..."If you knew a killer astroid was going to impact earth ...and you knew it was not going to hit your town but to survive you need to hide underground for a year and start over ..would you do it? Who would you take with you? Would you go solo?, or with a group of trusted friends? Would you do what the government told you to do? Would you abide by our laws or under the circumstance all bets are off take what you can ..everyone for themself." Obviously there would be Marshal law so do you chance getting shot over some bottled water or organize and go in strong and clear out a few soldiers and make them retreat so you can get what you might need to survive?

Soldiers ..national guard ... would be spread out thin and they would have no reinforcements. Yours and your families lives are on the line..what would you do to survive?

The problem is not just the impact itself, there are the secondary effect of a large asteroid hitting to consider

For example, how much of a shake would it take to pop the top off the Yellowstone Caldera or create another Toba? Probably not much and something that a large asteroid hitting elsewhere on Earth could precipitate

That is exactly correct. Then there are the inevitable effects of an ocean strike. Now you have a hole several miles deep into the mantle. And a couple of miles of seawater in a wall moving into a crater thirty miles or more in diameter. That would create a wall of live steam going straight into the stratosphere, and spawning category who knows hurricanes by the minute.

And the ejected material would travel in ballastic trajectories that would carry it halfway around the earth. And cause major fires all over the earth.

Even a minor hit, a one mile diameter asteriod would end our present civilization.

No, diorite is not that hard. It is made up of Plagioclase feldspars, sometimes some quartz, and hornblende/pyroxene. Quartz, which would be the hardest mineral in that makeup, Plagioclase (feldspar) comes in at 6 on the Mohs scale, Hornblende/pyroxene at 5/6, and quartz at 7. Common minerals like garnet and corundem come in at much harder, corundem being 9 on the scale.

The problem is not that they could not do it with the tools that they had, but how did they do it with the tools available. Remember, they were every bit as smart and ingenious as we are today, they just did not have our machinery.

It is not that I disrespect them, but to the contrary, I am astounded at how much they accomplished with the simplest of tools.

Has anyone ever advanced this theory? What if they moved these big rocks to the base of a waterfall and stacked some big logs end for end up a couple of hundred feet tall and had the waterfall fall into them creating high preaqsure at the bottom. if they injected sand into the bottom "nozzel" with the high preassure water and it could be moved around to a degree they could easily cut the profiles shown. Check out water jet machining. One thing you should look at when trying to figure out ancient technology is what THEY were looking at. They saw rocks worn smooth at the base of waterfalls laying next to rough ones nearby that were not getting hit by the natural errosion of falling water mixed with sand. I believe this is the simplest answer.

I like it. Have no idea if anyone has ever done that, but is sure should work.

My favorite for unexpected solutions that primitive cultures used is the diesel effect fire starter used by the Polynesians. This is a modern easily made version of it. Easier to come by than bamboo. At least in Portland.

Make: Online : Weekend Project: Fire Piston

Forum List

Back