Kids Didn't Hear Obama, But Will Be Bussed For Bush

Kids Didn't Hear Obama, But Will be Bussed for Bush - News- msnbc.com

By Stacy Morrow
NBCDFW.com
updated 41 minutes ago
The Arlington Independent School District, which passed on airing President Barack Obama's live classroom address, has announced that some students will be bussed off campus to hear a message from former President George W. Bush on Sept. 21.

District officials said it's part of a Cowboys Stadium field trip that the North Texas Super Bowl Host Committee invited 28 fifth-grade classes to attend several months ago.

In addition to hearing from Bush and former first lady Laura Bush, the students will hear from legendary Dallas Cowboys players and North Texas business and community leaders. The event launches the Super Bowl committee's largest-ever youth education program.

<Story continues>

This with GHWB is a local affair, and really is irrelevant to the discussion of what Obama had planned.

What Republicans objected to, unlike with Bush the Elder's talk to students, was the president speaking to all students through out the country. He should've made an appearance at one school like George W. (the elder) Bush.

It's too bad, though, that such a fuss was made, because it would have been revealing to see what he would have said before getting the heads-up from the Republicans, and then re-writing his presentation. Because of that we missed the part with the lesson plan in which the pres asked students to write about the most inspirational parts of his speach, or his asking students to write remarks on the three words which inspired them most, and to comment like that. All of that would have been the more alarming had it come off as he and his imprudent advisors had originally planned.

Last edited:

By Stacy Morrow
NBCDFW.com
updated 41 minutes ago
The Arlington Independent School District, which passed on airing President Barack Obama's live classroom address, has announced that some students will be bussed off campus to hear a message from former President George W. Bush on Sept. 21.

District officials said it's part of a Cowboys Stadium field trip that the North Texas Super Bowl Host Committee invited 28 fifth-grade classes to attend several months ago.

In addition to hearing from Bush and former first lady Laura Bush, the students will hear from legendary Dallas Cowboys players and North Texas business and community leaders. The event launches the Super Bowl committee's largest-ever youth education program.

<Story continues>

This with GHWB is a local affair, and really is irrelevant to the discussion of what Obama had planned.

What Republicans objected to, unlike with Bush the Elder's talk to students, was the president speaking to all students through out the country. He should've made an appearance at one school like George W. (the elder) Bush.

It's too bad, though, that such a fuss was made, because it would have been revealing to see what he would have said before getting the heads-up from the Republicans, and then re-writing his presentation. Because of that we missed the part with the lesson plan in which the pres asked students to write about the most inspirational parts of his speach, or his asking students to write remarks on the three words which inspired them most, and to comment like that. All of that would have been the more alarming had it come off as he and his imprudent advisors had originally planned.

other than repetition by the rightwingblogosphere, i've seen absolutely nothing indicating the speech was changed at all... only the "lesson plan"...which shouldn't have been objectionable either. and why should he have spoken to one school? so your kids wouldn't know that he's not the anti-christ? seriously...

it shouldn't matter either way. I would not have had a problem with him doing a speech while he was just like my parents didn't have a problem with me hearing a speech from his father while I was in grade school.

we you asked to write a letter of support of the presidents agenda.....

By Stacy Morrow
NBCDFW.com
updated 41 minutes ago

<Story continues>

And your point is?

Secondly, so the president is now a god and all must here his words since it's Obama? Not buying it. Obama is still no different than the rest of us, well except that now his faults, lies, and flaws are a public matter and concern. Bush was once president to, but you think bad of him, why?

I personally have no problem with them listening or not listening to Obama's speech, or listening or not listening to a speech from Bush. They are all the same: "Stay in school. Say no to drugs. Drink milk. Be nice to your mother."

However, I wanted to stop the spin that the article was about a field trip to a stadium. That was NOT the premise.
no, you are right
the story's premise is faulty
the field trip isnt to "go see George Bush" its to the cowboys stadium of which George Bush will be but ONE of the MANY people there

By Stacy Morrow
NBCDFW.com
updated 41 minutes ago

<Story continues>

other than repetition by the rightwingblogosphere, i've seen absolutely nothing indicating the speech was changed at all... only the "lesson plan"...which shouldn't have been objectionable either. and why should he have spoken to one school? so your kids wouldn't know that he's not the anti-christ? seriously...

in the speech he was going to ask each kid to write him a letter telling him what each child could do to help the pres with his agenda......

By Stacy Morrow
NBCDFW.com
updated 41 minutes ago

<Story continues>

the whitehouse pulled the extra stuff off the web

it shouldn't matter either way. I would not have had a problem with him doing a speech while he was just like my parents didn't have a problem with me hearing a speech from his father while I was in grade school.

we you asked to write a letter of support of the presidents agenda.....

For the second time... THAT ISN'T WHAT IT SAID.

don't you have enough to disagree with him about without being misleading?

in the speech he was going to ask each kid to write him a letter telling him what each child could do to help the pres with his agenda......
no, that was not what it was
it was for them to write a letter to THEMSELVES about how they could help the president
still dumb, but thats what it was

That's the insidious part.

By Stacy Morrow
NBCDFW.com
updated 41 minutes ago

<Story continues>

Jillian, I'll tell you why I object, and its not that "he's the anti-christ. (your words). It's because, it will become a commonplace, as it is with Democrat politicians going into churches with campaigns, and using religious phrases there and in public places, all the while Republicans are castigated for anything approaching that. That will simply make political/social divisions greater, and not be healing at all, which we know Obama is not about as he campaigned.

Bush the elder was roundly criticized after speaking to a class (I believe) in '91, and members of his adminstration had to appear before congress to show that no government resources were expended on it. I clearly recall that happening; a lot was made of it.

I do wish that Republicans had kept silent and just let it happen, because as I said, it would've been revealing. The content of the presidents presentation was too well known to only be wing-nut creation. He can't help self aggrandizement. I counted 56 uses of the word "I" in his speech, as it was presented, which seems to be a lot about himself.

Last edited:
Jillian, I'll tell you why I object, and its not that "he's the anti-christ. (your words). It's because, it will become a commonplace, and like with Democrat politicians going into churches with campaigns, and using religious phrases there and in public places, all the while Republicans are castigated for anything approaching that. That will simply make political/social divisions greater, and not be healing at all, which we know Obama is not about as he campaigned.

Bush the elder was roundly criticized after speaking to a class (I believe) in '92, and members of his adminstration had to appear before congress to show that no government resources were expended on it. I clearly recall that happening; a lot was made of it.

I do wish that Republicans had kept silent and just let it happen, because as I said, it would've been revealing. The content of the presidents presentation was too well known to only be wing-nut creation. He can't help self aggrandizement. I counted 56 uses of the word "I" in his speech, as it was presented, which seems to be a lot about himself.

actually, not my words so much as an interpretation of what's being said in some quarters. My feeling? It's ALREADY commonplace.... FDR had his fireside chats; Reagan spoke to kids about freaking supply side economics...

the only thing making our divisions greater are people getting insane about things that there's no reason to get insane about.

you know, i saw a bit last night interposing the hysterical rantings of the extremists about the horrors of what the president would influence the kids to do.. with the words of the speech itself. It made the ranters look foolish...and it only made the president look good. So I'd say that the hysteria was counterproductive at best.

And do you really think that anyone who thinks he is good enough, smart enough and important enough to lead the U.S. has a dearth of ego? Come on...

btw, I didn't notice his use of "I" except as a device to show kids that he overcame all of the things he was talking about and as a means of relating to them. Again, nothing wrong with it.

you know, I said this on another thread, but I don't have to tell you that I thought bush II was the worst president I've seen in my lifetime. but when my son had a school assignment when he was in elementary school, I helped him write a letter to Bush. It was a nice letter and he got a response from the president and was very pleased with himself and felt very important.

i think the objections were beyond goofy.

Forum List

Back