Kids Didn't Hear Obama, But Will Be Bussed For Bush

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Kids Didn't Hear Obama, But Will be Bussed for Bush - News- msnbc.com

By Stacy Morrow
NBCDFW.com
updated 41 minutes ago
The Arlington Independent School District, which passed on airing President Barack Obama's live classroom address, has announced that some students will be bussed off campus to hear a message from former President George W. Bush on Sept. 21.

District officials said it's part of a Cowboys Stadium field trip that the North Texas Super Bowl Host Committee invited 28 fifth-grade classes to attend several months ago.

In addition to hearing from Bush and former first lady Laura Bush, the students will hear from legendary Dallas Cowboys players and North Texas business and community leaders. The event launches the Super Bowl committee's largest-ever youth education program.

<Story continues>

I don't care if these student will hear from Bush and Laura about education, and I am sure the students will enjoy hearing from a President. The point is they had a problem with one president talking about education but don't have a problem with another doing the same thing.

I don't care if these student will hear from Bush and Laura about education, and I am sure the students will enjoy hearing from a President. The point is they had a problem with one president talking about education but don't have a problem with another doing the same thing.
there is a difference in the events
and, Bush is no longer president

it shouldn't matter either way. I would not have had a problem with him doing a speech while he was just like my parents didn't have a problem with me hearing a speech from his father while I was in grade school.

Sorry, but Texans are very big on their non-Hollywood celebrities. This isn't surprising in any way. It's a field trip, part of their actual education (at least some states still do that you know) regardless of who is speaking or not. Bush doesn't make policy anymore, so there is no possible reason he would want to sway their little minds into blindly supporting him. Get a life, the connection between the two events is so flimsy even Michael Moore would have a hard time seeing it.

How is a Cowboy's Stadium field trip educational? Field trips around here are mostly science based to the Aquarium or to locales for geology, stream/river tests, the planetarium......or to museums.

The NFL is so expensive, regular people are excluded. TV is their best bet.

I call field tripe.

How is a Cowboy's Stadium field trip educational? Field trips around here are mostly science based to the Aquarium or to locales for geology, stream/river tests, the planetarium......or to museums.

The NFL is so expensive, regular people are excluded. TV is their best bet.

I call field tripe.

I don't like pro sports myself, but it is part of America and will always be whether you like it or not.

... which is why they should have listened to the president speak yesterday and not had their school district give in to nutters....

beyond that, i couldn't care less about them going on this field trip.

but don't you notice a problem there in terms of priorities?

The important part that will be ignored:
"it's part of a Cowboys Stadium field trip"

It's interesting, however, that the writer brought up the point that these kids did NOT hear the Obama speech.

So this is how the story should be read:

A group of students, who did not watch the Obama speech, will be taking a field trip to the new Cowboy Stadium. Many of the students are Cowboys fans and are looking forward to the possibility of seeing Tony Romo.

"I'm gosh darn excited, I tell ya," said Billy Bob Jones, from Arlington.

They will also meet President Bush at the stadium.

Alternatively, the story could have read...

A group of students, many of whom ate Corn Flakes for breakfast, will be taking a field trip to the new Cowboy Stadium. Many of the students are Cowboys fans and are looking forward to the possibility of seeing Tony Romo.

"I'm gosh darn excited, I tell ya," said Billy Bob Jones, from Arlington.

They will be served Pop tarts at the stadium.

So, just to help you understand the context of the story...it is NOT about kids visiting a stadium.

It is about student that will be meeting George Bush instead of hearing Obama's speech.

Texas is especially bad with the football culture. They should really get their education standards up and shelve the football crap.

... which is why they should have listened to the president speak yesterday and not had their school district give in to nutters....

beyond that, i couldn't care less about them going on this field trip.

but don't you notice a problem there in terms of priorities?

Two people giving a speech, if they address the same topic, what's the difference of which they go to? If they address different topics, then why shouldn't the locals get to choose which they find more important? Or are you against choice?

one is the president... the wingnutters shouldn't have been acquiesed to.

if you really want a discussion fine. if this is another kk pissing match, sorry...too boring for words.

one is the president... the wingnutters shouldn't have been acquiesed to.

if you really want a discussion fine. if this is another kk pissing match, sorry...too boring for words.

First, if I was "too boring for words" then why are you typing responses with them?

Secondly, so the president is now a god and all must here his words since it's Obama? Not buying it. Obama is still no different than the rest of us, well except that now his faults, lies, and flaws are a public matter and concern. Bush was once president to, but you think bad of him, why?

Secondly, so the president is now a god and all must here his words since it's Obama? Not buying it. Obama is still no different than the rest of us, well except that now his faults, lies, and flaws are a public matter and concern. Bush was once president to, but you think bad of him, why?

I personally have no problem with them listening or not listening to Obama's speech, or listening or not listening to a speech from Bush. They are all the same: "Stay in school. Say no to drugs. Drink milk. Be nice to your mother."

However, I wanted to stop the spin that the article was about a field trip to a stadium. That was NOT the premise.

I personally have no problem with them listening or not listening to Obama's speech, or listening or not listening to a speech from Bush. They are all the same: "Stay in school. Say no to drugs. Drink milk. Be nice to your mother."

However, I wanted to stop the spin that the article was about a field trip to a stadium. That was NOT the premise.

Sorry Xotoxi, unless you work in their school district I won't take your word for it. ;)

Sorry, but Texans are very big on their non-Hollywood celebrities. This isn't surprising in any way. It's a field trip, part of their actual education (at least some states still do that you know) regardless of who is speaking or not. Bush doesn't make policy anymore, so there is no possible reason he would want to sway their little minds into blindly supporting him. Get a life, the connection between the two events is so flimsy even Michael Moore would have a hard time seeing it.

I want to know where anyone said he was going to try to sway their mind in anyway?
and the connection is neither one is a big deal.

I want to know where anyone said he was going to try to sway their mind in anyway?
and the connection is neither one is a big deal.

I'm just going by some assumptions here, nothing concrete. ;) Alternative views are like that.

Forum List

Back