Kidnapped Israelis found dead

Bodies of 3 abducted West Bank teens found shot to death

Doug Stanglin, USA TODAY 1:51 p.m. EDT June 30, 2014

The bodies of three Israeli teenagers, who were kidnapped on their way home from religious school in the West Bank two weeks ago, have been found shot to death, the Israeli media reported Monday.

Israeli TV and the Jerusalem Post reported that the bodies were found near Hebron about three miles from where they were abducted June 12.

The students, Naftali Fraenkel and Gilad Shaar, both 16, and Eyal Yifrach, 19 disappeared while hitchhiking home, prompting the Israeli military to carry out one of the biggest sweeps of the West Bank in a decade.

Israel's domestic security agency has already named two Palestinian suspects in the abductions -- Marwan Kawasma and Amer Abu Aysha, who are described as operatives in the Islamist militant group Hamas.

The Israeli cabinet held an emergency meeting on the case Monday before the deaths were announced.

Haaretz reports that a large Israeli military force had assembled north of Hebron on the West bank money evening in search of the missing teens.

A committee investigating the teens disappearance said Monday that it found a "severe failure of conduct" by operators of the Judea and Samaria Police emergency hotline on the night of the kidnapping.

Several officer were immediately dismissed over what the investigating committee described as a "mishandling of the telephone call received at the center, as far as the professional standards expected from emergency hotline operators on all levels, and which included all the ranks: police, officers and commanders involved," Haaretz reports.

According to the committee's report, a telephone call was made to the police at around 10:25 P.M. by one of the abducted teens who said, in a soft voice, "I have been kidnapped."

The report says those on duty tried to speak with the a teen and called back a traced number no less than eight times but, in the end, a manager and shift supervisor decided not to look into the call any further.

Bodies of 3 abducted West Bank teens found shot to death

There will be blood for this, understandably so. This could be the tipping point for the entire region to erupt. I'm not a praying man, but if I was I would send those prayers to all those innocents who will caught in the crossfires.

There will be blood for this, understandably so. This could be the tipping point for the entire region to erupt. I'm not a praying man, but if I was I would send those prayers to all those innocents who will caught in the crossfires.

Horrible, sad news.

Forum List

Back