Kicked out of school for long hair.........

You know.........even though the school has rules on the length of hair for boys (a rule I disagree with by the way), they should make exceptions for this young man......

A few inches of hair stand between J.T. Gaskins and an education.

The 17-year-old, who had been treated for cancer and said he now wants to grow his hair to give to Locks of Love -- a charity that provides wigs for kids who lose their hair due to chemotherapy and other treatments -- was recently suspended from Madison Academy, a charter school in Burton, Mich., for refusing to trim his tresses.

Gaskins told The Flint Journal that he was diagnosed with leukemia as an infant and has been cancer-free since age 7. “This is something I want to do, and I feel very strongly about it.”

The school’s dress code policy, spelled out in the student-parent handbook, says hair must bair must be kept “clean, neat, free of unnatural or distracting colors, off the collar, off the ears and out of the eyes” for boys.

Gaskins’ hair, which resembles the windswept bangs of Justin Bieber, dangles at his eyes and covers his ears.

His mother, Christa Plante, told the Journal she supports her son and remembers his cancer fight as a small child. “The fact that he’s ready to talk about everything he went through, his strength ... I can’t deny him that. He’s ready to speak out about what he’s been through,” Plante said, according to the newspaper.

U.S. News - School suspends cancer-survivor boy for growing hair for Locks of Love

Me personally? I hope the parents are able to sue the school over this bullshit behavior.

They do not care about how long it is, they just want it to meet the styling guidelines.

That said, the guidelines are stupid, and the schools is stupid for enforcing them.

Exactly. The school administrator may have been a prick about it, but you can't sue someone for being a prick.

Also, as a school employee, I know for a fact that we only hear one side of the story. Locks of Love needs a min of 7 inches. It doesn't sound like this kid is even close. His desire to donate his hair could be complete BS.

Because he's a cancer survivior, I don't think so.

And do you know how long it takes to grow hair? I've been growing mine out since a year after I retired, and its still only around 12 inches.

That was 8 years ago.

That depends. mine grows almost 2 cm a month. Yours obviously hit its maximum length years ago as, on the average, it should grow about 30 cm (12 in) in 2 years. Different people have different lengths of hair, just like all mammals.

Exactly. The school administrator may have been a prick about it, but you can't sue someone for being a prick.

Also, as a school employee, I know for a fact that we only hear one side of the story. Locks of Love needs a min of 7 inches. It doesn't sound like this kid is even close. His desire to donate his hair could be complete BS.

Because he's a cancer survivior, I don't think so.

And do you know how long it takes to grow hair? I've been growing mine out since a year after I retired, and its still only around 12 inches.

That was 8 years ago.

That depends. mine grows almost 2 cm a month. Yours obviously hit its maximum length years ago as, on the average, it should grow about 30 cm (12 in) in 2 years. Different people have different lengths of hair, just like all mammals.

Mine. def grows faster than that. I got my hair cut (down almost all the way) in probably April or May? And it's already a little more than 6 inches. It's weird, my hair just grows very quickly.

Anyways back on topic: the kid violated a rule. I'm sure they gave him a chance. Once you let one kid get away with a rule-so many more kids will start to do it too, and then kids stop respecting the authority/rules of the school.

They did not ask him to cut off all his hair.It just must be neat and trimmed.If he refused to cut his hair then he should have been kicked out of school.

Why does anybody care how long a students hair is?

Control freakism is the signature of little minds.

It is what it is.

First impressions and perceptions of cleanliness matter. Cancer survivor stories may be interesting, but not necessarily marketable.

A charter school prepares kids for the real world.

It is what it is.

First impressions and perceptions of cleanliness matter. Cancer survivor stories may be interesting, but not necessarily marketable.

A charter school prepares kids for the real world.

And in the real world a person can have his hair any length he wants.

Yes they can. They can also pierce whatever they want or get a tattoo on their face. But in this job market, it might be unwise. Just like it may be unwise to give up a placement in a charter school. But hey - it's a free country.

Yes they can. They can also pierce whatever they want or get a tattoo on their face. But in this job market, it might be unwise. Just like it may be unwise to give up a placement in a charter school. But hey - it's a free country.

The job market has nothing to do with a kid in a charter school. To have an arbitrary rule like this is beyond idiotic.

And if people want to pierce ans tattoo they can deal with the consequences. It ain't any of our business.

Preparing students for the real world is the business of schools.

We can argue all day long about whether or not they are effective, but that's the goal. I'm not familiar with this academy, but I do know most private schools have strict dress codes - that inc. hair, makeup, and piercings. There's a reason.

We can argue all day long about whether or not they are effective, but that's the goal. I'm not familiar with this academy, but I do know most private schools have strict dress codes - that inc. hair, makeup, and piercings. There's a reason.

You will be assimilated.

You know.........even though the school has rules on the length of hair for boys (a rule I disagree with by the way), they should make exceptions for this young man......

A few inches of hair stand between J.T. Gaskins and an education.

The 17-year-old, who had been treated for cancer and said he now wants to grow his hair to give to Locks of Love -- a charity that provides wigs for kids who lose their hair due to chemotherapy and other treatments -- was recently suspended from Madison Academy, a charter school in Burton, Mich., for refusing to trim his tresses.

Gaskins told The Flint Journal that he was diagnosed with leukemia as an infant and has been cancer-free since age 7. “This is something I want to do, and I feel very strongly about it.”

The school’s dress code policy, spelled out in the student-parent handbook, says hair must bair must be kept “clean, neat, free of unnatural or distracting colors, off the collar, off the ears and out of the eyes” for boys.

Gaskins’ hair, which resembles the windswept bangs of Justin Bieber, dangles at his eyes and covers his ears.

His mother, Christa Plante, told the Journal she supports her son and remembers his cancer fight as a small child. “The fact that he’s ready to talk about everything he went through, his strength ... I can’t deny him that. He’s ready to speak out about what he’s been through,” Plante said, according to the newspaper.

U.S. News - School suspends cancer-survivor boy for growing hair for Locks of Love

Me personally? I hope the parents are able to sue the school over this bullshit behavior.

Wow that's harsh. I had to get caught drinking before they kicked me out of school. Even then it was only a three day vacation. We had guys that had hair half way down thier back and nobody complained. This kid has Justin Bieber hair,I'd hardly call that long.

I understand it's school rules but considering the circumstances I wonder why the kid can't be allowed to pull his hair back and up out of the way? He may look a bit like a girl but that's his problem.

As the man said, "you can sue a ham sandwhich". They may not win, but I'm sure a creative attorney could find a cause of action.

A creative administrator would make this a 'teaching moment' and offer an exception to the rule based on the young man's life experience and willingness to help others.

BTW, the school adminsitrator should hear all sides of the story, not simply default to a rule which if not enforced is unlikely to cause an injury.

I agree about the tat's and piercings not being good for business but long hair, if you want to call it that, really doesn't matter much now. I've seen male lawyers,teachers ect. with ponytails and no problem. Justin Bieber length hair being considered long is laughable in 2012. I thought school offiicals got over the long hair heart attack after the Beatles in the 60's.

I agree about the tat's and piercings not being good for business but long hair, if you want to call it that, really doesn't matter much now. I've seen male lawyers,teachers ect. with ponytails and no problem. Justin Bieber length hair being considered long is laughable in 2012. I thought school offiicals got over the long hair heart attack after the Beatles in the 60's.

I thought so as well, but I guess with the GOP wanting to return to the "good old days of the 50's and 60's", I guess that means hair styles too.

Shit..........gonna miss all the new styles of slink that the women like to wear nowadays when they switch short mini's for poodle dresses and penny loafers.

Don't fret darling. Fashion will never die.

Personally, I love long hair on men. My sons would grow their hair down to their shoulders in Catholic school as a small act of rebellion. But when they were threatened with a demerit, they would cut it.

Now they are in college with short hair and beards (ugh) Whatcha gonna do?

Don't fret darling. Fashion will never die.

Personally, I love long hair on men. My sons would grow their hair down to their shoulders in Catholic school as a small act of rebellion. But when they were threatened with a demerit, they would cut it.

Now they are in college with short hair and beards (ugh) Whatcha gonna do?

I mean shit..........for the 17 years I was a kid in Montana, I had to keep my hair off my ears.

Then............20 years in the U.S. Navy where I had to have short hair and keep the back of my neck clean.

Now? I'm 47 and have hair down to my shoulders. Damn it..........I earned my right to grow it!

Forum List

Back