Kerry's response to Sheiffer's last question

phadras

Feb 17, 2004
had me laughing my head off... To Sheiffer's query about strong women in all three of their lives (Sheiffer, Bush, Kerry) Kerry's response was,“Well I guess all three of us are lucky men who married up.”

Surely I was not the only one to find this hilariously telling about the man...
Bush didn't "marry up". Laura was a librarian for goodness sake... But ole John "where are the rich gals at the party" Kerry has married up TWICE... He gave himself away there a bit... He's a dandy for wealthy women.. A golddigger in reverse... Then the expression on his face after he said this was comical...
Opps I didn't just admit that did I? hehehehe!!!!! I hope Teresa isn't going to cut off the ketchup money train on him for that comment....

I thought it funny that instead of taking the opportunity to introduce people to the possible first lady, he insults her by speaking about his mother. Alot of women have been calling talk radio voicing their anger about that. If any man speaks of their mom before thei wife when asked to talk about strong women in their lvies, be prepared to sleep on the couch.

phadras said:
had me laughing my head off... To Sheiffer's query about strong women in all three of their lives (Sheiffer, Bush, Kerry) Kerry's response was,“Well I guess all three of us are lucky men who married up.”

Bush didn't "marry up". Laura was a librarian for goodness sake...

Have to disagree just a bit. I think in some respects GW did marry up. Luara is smarter than George, she's more articulate, and one hell of a lot better looking. Matter of fact, I believe that we should put her on the ticket on '08.

Merlin1047 said:
Have to disagree just a bit. I think in some respects GW did marry up. Luara is smarter than George, she's more articulate, and one hell of a lot better looking. Matter of fact, I believe that we should put her on the ticket on '08.

Whether he married 'up' or not, they have managed to weather this life together. And for many years. I thought he was kinda cute when he spoke of his wife. I found his remarks concernig her, touching. It sounded like he adores her, appreciates her support, admires her. Now, that's a smart man.

phadras said:

Bush didn't "marry up". Laura was a librarian for goodness sake... But ole John "where are the rich gals at the party" Kerry has married up TWICE... He gave himself away there a bit... He's a dandy for wealthy women.. A golddigger in reverse... Then the expression on his face after he said this was comical...
Opps I didn't just admit that did I? hehehehe!!!!! I hope Teresa isn't going to cut off the ketchup money train on him for that comment....

I think it was interesting that Kerry didnt really mention his wife. He avoided talking about her. I was just thinking that is so sad.

I dont think he thinks he married up. He probably thinks he was entitled to all that money somehow. needless to say after Kerry loses im going to have to question whether they are going to stay married cause if i were Theresa id be pretty ticked at him for all this.

And then what his mother was telling him about Integrity. I was laughing at that. i was just like well she realizes he still hasnt learned that lesson at that age i guess it was a last ditch attempt to teach him. too bad he has such little respect for his mother that he doesnt listen to her.

I'm sure from a political standpoint it sounds like a touching story...but seriously from an emotional standpoint...

Your mom is dying...you love her and have a good relationship with her...you go to see her on her deathbed...it will be the last time you talk...what do you say..."Thanks for raising me?" "You are the best mom in the world?" "I love you." "Thank you for everything?"

Nah...you tell her of your political aspirations...

Does she tell you she loves you? She was proud to be your mother? That she is looking forward to seeing her mother and father, or husband? That she is ready to die? Or not ready?

Nah...she reminds you to show integrity.

First of all, doesn't that seem a bit cold and just a tad contrived??? I've heard Kerry tell the "private, personal" story four times. Not only that...but he was a grown man in his 30's when this story supposedly took place...isnt there something wrong when your Mom is reminding you to show integrity at that point??? Should she know you have integrity and not have to lecture you on it on your deathbed? Or did she know something about her son that we are learning about now???

Gem said:
I'm sure from a political standpoint it sounds like a touching story...but seriously from an emotional standpoint...

Your mom is dying...you love her and have a good relationship with her...you go to see her on her deathbed...it will be the last time you talk...what do you say..."Thanks for raising me?" "You are the best mom in the world?" "I love you." "Thank you for everything?"

Nah...you tell her of your political aspirations...

Does she tell you she loves you? She was proud to be your mother? That she is looking forward to seeing her mother and father, or husband? That she is ready to die? Or not ready?

Nah...she reminds you to show integrity.

First of all, doesn't that seem a bit cold and just a tad contrived??? I've heard Kerry tell the "private, personal" story four times. Not only that...but he was a grown man in his 30's when this story supposedly took place...isnt there something wrong when your Mom is reminding you to show integrity at that point??? Should she know you have integrity and not have to lecture you on it on your deathbed? Or did she know something about her son that we are learning about now???
Great one, Gem, and very true!
John Kerry hurt himself last night with a couple of comments he made.

First, when he mentioned Dick Cheney's daughter. Republicans and democrats alike were upset with him bringing her up, for obvious political reasons, which is low. It, to me, does not speak of the man that Kerry is. A low blow at someone's personal life for political reasons is cheap and weak! It is not as if he insulted her, but the intent for bringing her up was wrong and thusly a low blow and wrong! I have a hard time respecting Kerry for this!

Second, was during the 'strong women' question. Failing to talk about Teresa was a mistake, and many have also shown disapproval of Kerry for this.

For Kerry, who is trying to reach out to the 'women base', he really hurt himself with that base over those two comments. And, I have not heard Kerry apologize or remark on either. In fact, Edwards' wife today, said the outlash by the Cheneys over Kerry's comment somehow shows they are ashamed of their daughter. Once again another low, and unnecessary comment. Boy are the democratic wives certainly helping their husbands cause!

Although the polls show Kerry won the debate last night, which I disagree, focus groups apparently showed more support for Bush. One group mentioned was a group of 23 undecided. The group felt Kerry won, on the fact that his speaking was more clear, etc., but 17 of the 23 decided to vote for Bush, 5 for Kerry, and 1 independant. Lets remember that these debates are won or lost on style, not content. When it comes to content, and believability, Bush has won all of the debates, especially the 2nd and 3rd. They cited the fact that Bush is more believable, as the reason they decided to vote for him, which shows Kerry's failure at painting the picture of Bush as being a dishonest man who 'mislead' the nation. It also shows that Bush has succeeded in causing people to question Kerry's honesty and stance on issues, specifically by pointing out Kerry's inconsistancies.

The polls today, after the debate, also show Bush with a lead gain. The race was tied, basically, but now I see Bush has taken a lead by a few points.

I think Kerry may have done himself in with the third debate, and much of it has to do with those two comments of his, and the fact that he had to stay on the defensive throughout much of the debate.

phadras said:

Marrying up does not necessarily mean marrying someone of greater financial holdings.

On November 1, 2004 John Kerry will call a press conference and create a guaranteed win in the election. He will just simply say, "if you don't vote for me, your ketchup is gone." And then the American people will have to decide: is the president really worth my Heinz ketchup?

insein said:
I thought it funny that instead of taking the opportunity to introduce people to the possible first lady, he insults her by speaking about his mother. Alot of women have been calling talk radio voicing their anger about that. If any man speaks of their mom before thei wife when asked to talk about strong women in their lvies, be prepared to sleep on the couch.

What's that saying? The woman a man takes to his bed is the one who comes first? I probably just slaughtered that?

[If you will allow me to venture an outside Conservative perspective it seems there can be little doubt that any objective view has Senator Kerry winning all three debates. As a conservative, and under normal circumstances a natural Republican supporter, it pains me to have to say it but this Republican President has been nothing but a disaster. My political hero is the first and in my view, greatest, Republican President, Abraham Lincoln and when I think that the Republican Party can now do no better than George W Bush it makes me want to weep.

Bonnie said:
What's that saying? The woman a man takes to his bed is the one who comes first? I probably just slaughtered that?

You should have specified whether the pun was intended or not! :teeth:

Plato said:
[If you will allow me to venture an outside Conservative perspective it seems there can be little doubt that any objective view has Senator Kerry winning all three debates. As a conservative, and under normal circumstances a natural Republican supporter, it pains me to have to say it but this Republican President has been nothing but a disaster. My political hero is the first and in my view, greatest, Republican President, Abraham Lincoln and when I think that the Republican Party can now do no better than George W Bush it makes me want to weep.

Welcome Plato! :D

phadras said:

Surely I was not the only one to find this hilariously telling about the man....

Could you not tell that Kerry was making fun of himself?

Plato said:

Forgive me but what does this have to do with John Kerry's comments or lack there of about his wife?

It also puzzles me how you can say President Bush has been a disaster. He is easily the best President since Reagan. Not that he has alot of great people to compete with but seriously. What President in recent history has liberated two nations? We've seen our President stand up to the Chinese, North Koreas, Mullahs, Saddam, the Taliban, Al Queda, Kadafi. etc. We have seen a man who isnt afraid to challenge dictators and will keep his word when he gives it.

We've seen a President who inherited a recession hit by the tech bubble burst, Corporate scandals from the previous administration and then the worst attack in American history and yet because of his economic plan our economy is one of the fastest growing in decades and our unemployment rate is 5.4 which is lower than when Clinton was reelected. He did all this by allowing us to keep our hard earned money. I think thats pretty impressive.

He lead a bipartisan effort to raise standards in schools. He is leading the charge to restructure the education system so that it works rather than just shuffling students through. This is a bold plan and its beginning to pay off.

He has lead the effort to rebuild the military and intelligence agencies of the government. To modernize them and make them more effective in fighting those who wish to do us harm.

He proposed a bold new effort in space exploration.

these are just a few things the President has done off the top of my head. i could give you tons more. He has done more in four years than Clinton did in 8.

He may not be Abraham Lincoln, i mean how many of Lincoln's come around. but come on after 8 years of illusion and fantasy under Clinton the american people are awake now and i dont think we will go to sleep again anytime soon. we have an enemy to defeat abroad and a nation to change at home. President Bush is the clear man to lead us for the next four years.

phadras said:

You simply didn't get the joke. Kerry insulted Bush (punchline- Bush "married up" in order to appear to be smart). Kerry scored points off the fact that Bush didn't get it, thus proving how stupid he really is. That line was stolen from the late Rodney Dangerfield's playbook. Pathetic!!!

:eek:

Palestinian Jew said:
Could you not tell that Kerry was making fun of himself?

yeah. but still doesnt mean he didnt turn off much of the female population by not mentioning his wife other than about her money and then avoiding the actual question. It speaks volumes.

hylandrdet said:
You simply didn't get the joke. Kerry insulted Bush (punchline- Bush "married up" in order to appear to be smart). Kerry scored points off the fact that Bush didn't get it, thus proving how stupid he really is. That line was stolen from the late Rodney Dangerfield's playbook. Pathetic!!!

:eek:

Thats a new spin. if thats what Kerry was doing it was a very lame joke.

Forum List

Back