Justice Scalia & Justice Thomas

Last night I heard on the radio that Justice Scalia and Justice Thomas attended the private strategy meeting hosted by the Kock brothers in Palm Springs. The NYT's reported:

"Koch Industries, the longtime underwriter of libertarian causes from the Cato Institute in Washington to the ballot initiative that would suspend California’s landmark law capping greenhouse gases, is planning a confidential meeting at the Rancho Las Palmas Resort and Spa to, as an invitation says, “develop strategies to counter the most severe threats facing our free society and outline a vision of how we can foster a renewal of American free enterprise and prosperity.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/20/us/politics/20koch.html

Two questions:
Is the participation of two members of the USSC at a solely political secret meeting appropriate?
Plutocracy anyone?

These are two men solely influenced by ideology. With Thomas, more court cases he sits on are settled long before any arguments are heard. He may as well skip the trials. In Scalia's case, it's basically the same, but he listens in to formulate opinions that sound like he actually heard the case.

Neither man has any notion of "Conflicts of Interests".

In a nutshell..they are exactly the wrong types of judges for the bench.

Wry Catcher seems to believe that Sotomeyer did not say she was smarter as a Latino woman then all white men nor that she is a member of La Raza. Is this true Wry Catcher?

Further you started the thread it is YOUR responsibility to provide evidence your claim is true. I see no evidence that either Supreme Court Justice attended any such meeting nor that it was a private meeting just with the Brothers.

The Koch brothers are to the left what George Soros is to the right.
What would the right's reaction be if Soros had private meetings with Justices Ginsberg and Breyer?
Whatever happened to the concept of an impartial court?

Provide EVIDENCE any such meeting took place.

Thomas' wife advocates for conservative causes. He's already written a book where he denigrates Liberal ideology and the Affirmative Action in particular.

Juxtapose this steaming heap of a thread with the dearth of comment from the usual Fabian/progressive bedwetter suspects, about Immelt getting a cush position with the administration and GE getting big time exemptions from EPA regs.

Y'know.....It's all about "asking questions".

:eusa_whistle:

So, post a thread and ask the questions. Posting glib comments as you do suggests only that you're an arrogant self righteous asshole. Of course posting such a thread, asking necessary questions won't make you any less of an arrogant self righteous asshole. It might give you some credibility though, something none of your many short comments fail to do.
Where is your snide ass and the rest of the Fabian troll moonbat troop, on the threads about the obvious graft going to Immelt and GE, fuckstick?

Speaking of self-righteousness and lack of credibility...:eusa_whistle:

Last night I heard on the radio that Justice Scalia and Justice Thomas attended the private strategy meeting hosted by the Kock brothers in Palm Springs.

please link to substantiate this, as this is the second time you have made that claim......

in fact last thread you said declaratively- they met in private WITH the Kock [sic] bros...are you backing off of that now?

Its a session...how many makes a 'session'? Oh and remember to make this claim the Koch bro.s actually have to be in the room.

Can you in fact even prove they were in attendance, because I have seen sources that aren't even sure if they were there, they just know they were invited...

and gee how secret is this btw? what constitutes secret? Please explain your reasoning as to what secret is and what it means to you in this context.

facts anyone?

The facts are hard to come by, here is a link to a fair and balanced article from the Huffington Post:
Justices Scalia And Thomas's Attendance At Koch Event Sparks Judicial Ethics Debate

My point is, if they didn't attend it is a scurrilous attack, if they did attend it's worth knowing and asking questions.

no that wasn't your point, or that is all of it, you started off your latest screed with a lie, period .

first- I read that and at least 5-6 other sources yesterday when I saw your post.

Lets take a look at this ‘article’;

a) Reports that two Supreme Court Justices have attended seminars sponsored by the energy giant and conservative bankroller Koch Industries has sparked a mild debate over judicial ethics.

A report? Where they there or not?

b) It's not rare for a Justice to attend a seminar sponsored by a group with judicial or political interests. Members of the court, for instances, often speak at academic institutions or think tanks. Virtually all companies, meanwhile, are affected by the judicial branch. So long as Scalia and Thomas did not participate in overt partisan activities, there would be no apparent conflict of interest.

"There is nothing to prevent Supreme Court justices from hanging out with people who have political philosophies," said Steven Lubet, a professor of law at Northwestern University who teaches courses on Legal Ethics.

So is this a big deal or not? Sure, becasue they will make it one.
Should I now post a catalog of orgs., say for say that Uber Smart latina Sotomayer and Ginsberg regulary attend and contribute too? :rolleyes:

What nonsense. This what you hung your hat on?

Next- where is the evidence to sppt .your assertion, nay, declarative statement that they, the justices had met with the Kock [sic] bros. and, in private?

Answer- no where, you invited it.

Ergo, survey says-

You’re a fraud.

Have a nice day. :)

please link to substantiate this, as this is the second time you have made that claim......

in fact last thread you said declaratively- they met in private WITH the Kock [sic] bros...are you backing off of that now?

Its a session...how many makes a 'session'? Oh and remember to make this claim the Koch bro.s actually have to be in the room.

Can you in fact even prove they were in attendance, because I have seen sources that aren't even sure if they were there, they just know they were invited...

and gee how secret is this btw? what constitutes secret? Please explain your reasoning as to what secret is and what it means to you in this context.

facts anyone?

The facts are hard to come by, here is a link to a fair and balanced article from the Huffington Post:
Justices Scalia And Thomas's Attendance At Koch Event Sparks Judicial Ethics Debate

My point is, if they didn't attend it is a scurrilous attack, if they did attend it's worth knowing and asking questions.

no that wasn't your point, or that is all of it, you started off your latest screed with a lie, period .

first- I read that and at least 5-6 other sources yesterday when I saw your post.

Lets take a look at this ‘article’;

a) Reports that two Supreme Court Justices have attended seminars sponsored by the energy giant and conservative bankroller Koch Industries has sparked a mild debate over judicial ethics.

A report? Where they there or not?

b) It's not rare for a Justice to attend a seminar sponsored by a group with judicial or political interests. Members of the court, for instances, often speak at academic institutions or think tanks. Virtually all companies, meanwhile, are affected by the judicial branch. So long as Scalia and Thomas did not participate in overt partisan activities, there would be no apparent conflict of interest.

"There is nothing to prevent Supreme Court justices from hanging out with people who have political philosophies," said Steven Lubet, a professor of law at Northwestern University who teaches courses on Legal Ethics.

So is this a big deal or not? Sure, becasue they will make it one.
Should I now post a catalog of orgs., say for say that Uber Smart latina Sotomayer and Ginsberg regulary attend and contribute too? :rolleyes:

What nonsense. This what you hung your hat on?

Next- where is the evidence to sppt .your assertion, nay, declarative statement that they, the justices had met with the Kock [sic] bros. and, in private?

Answer- no where, you invited it.

Ergo, survey says-

You’re a fraud.

Have a nice day. :)

Thank you, I will. By the way, those other Justices, would you point out any decision made by them that offered the same benefit to the many which was given to the few in Citizens United?
I suggest this decision did not level the playing field as suggested above, rather it made it possible for the Koch Brothers to invite the rich and powerful to Palm Springs to develop a strategy for the next national election.
I suggest a little research is in order for those not willfully ignorant into the Koch family, their interests and goals for 'America'.

Impartiality seems to matter to the GOP:

GOP Argues Kagan Won't be Impartial on Court

GOP Argues Kagan Won't be Impartial on Court - CBS News

And then there's this:

Canon 4 of the judicial Code of Conduct states that a federal judge should not take part in any activities that "reflect adversely on the judge's impartiality

It only matters as a point of self interest. Scalia's sat in on cases involving Dick Cheney, one of his longtime personal friends.

And a clear conflict of interest.

Juxtapose this steaming heap of a thread with the dearth of comment from the usual Fabian/progressive bedwetter suspects, about Immelt getting a cush position with the administration and GE getting big time exemptions from EPA regs.

Y'know.....It's all about "asking questions".

:eusa_whistle:

So, post a thread and ask the questions. Posting glib comments as you do suggests only that you're an arrogant self righteous asshole. Of course posting such a thread, asking necessary questions won't make you any less of an arrogant self righteous asshole. It might give you some credibility though, something none of your many short comments fail to do.
Where is your snide ass and the rest of the Fabian troll moonbat troop, on the threads about the obvious graft going to Immelt and GE, fuckstick?

Speaking of self-righteousness and lack of credibility...:eusa_whistle:

Post the "graft going to Immelt and GE". I've google both and found nothing to substantiate your allegation. All refer to his new post in the Obama Administration, if you have a credible link post it, I'll read it.
Unlike you my arrogance is based on my willingness to confront my ignorances and admit when I'm wrong. Your glib posts suggest a different kind of arrogance, the arrogance of a loser who needs to boast to feel good about himself.

And then there's this:

Canon 4 of the judicial Code of Conduct states that a federal judge should not take part in any activities that "reflect adversely on the judge's impartiality

It only matters as a point of self interest. Scalia's sat in on cases involving Dick Cheney, one of his longtime personal friends.

Judges and Justices recuse themselves everyday whenever an appearence of conflict exists; Scalia is the epitome of arrogance and an example of what is wrong with the USSC as it is currently composed.

And then there's this:

Judges and Justices recuse themselves everyday whenever an appearence of conflict exists; Scalia is the epitome of arrogance and an example of what is wrong with the USSC as it is currently composed.

will kagan recuse herself from the obama care case?

Last night I heard on the radio that Justice Scalia and Justice Thomas attended the private strategy meeting hosted by the Kock brothers in Palm Springs. The NYT's reported:

"Koch Industries, the longtime underwriter of libertarian causes from the Cato Institute in Washington to the ballot initiative that would suspend California’s landmark law capping greenhouse gases, is planning a confidential meeting at the Rancho Las Palmas Resort and Spa to, as an invitation says, “develop strategies to counter the most severe threats facing our free society and outline a vision of how we can foster a renewal of American free enterprise and prosperity.”

Two questions:
Is the participation of two members of the USSC at a solely political secret meeting appropriate?
Plutocracy anyone?

I don't remember it being written anywhere that becoming a Supreme Court Justice forfeits one's right to personal, private interests, even of a political nature.

Talk to me when their official decisions from the bench are wholly unsupportable by written US law, as so many of those from leftist Justices are, and THEN we'll talk about appropriate.

Two questions:
Plutocracy anyone?

The Supreme Court overstepping It's Constitutional Authority by Abusing Judicial Review, contributes to Oligarchy/Plutocracy.

The Justices attending a Meeting by it self does not. ;)

The Supreme Court overstepping It's Constitutional Authority by Abusing Judicial Review, contributes to Oligarchy/Plutocracy is an Interesting point. Did the Justices cross the line in Citizens United v. FEC? The nexus between the Kock Brothers wealth and unlimited ability to influence elections should give pause to every thinking American.

Whereas the nexus between George Soros' wealth and obvious public attempts to influence elections should go utterly unremarked?

The Koch brothers are to the left what George Soros is to the right.
What would the right's reaction be if Soros had private meetings with Justices Ginsberg and Breyer?
Whatever happened to the concept of an impartial court?

The same. I'm much too busy being outraged by the actual court opinions handed down by Ginsburg and Breyer to waste any energy trying to gin up faux outrage at their personal lives and associations. Besides, unlike the left, I have no interest in suddenly, out of the blue, feigning shock and horror at the notion that Justices are human beings, with political leanings and political associations, just because I have a chance to "view with alarm" someone on the other side.

Again, call me when there's a problem with their work. The American people are their employers, not their jailers.

will kagan recuse herself from the obama care case?

Why, exactly?

Scalia set the bar here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/15/us/politics/15judge.text.html?_r=3&pagewanted=1

Two questions:
Plutocracy anyone?

I don't remember it being written anywhere that becoming a Supreme Court Justice forfeits one's right to personal, private interests, even of a political nature.

Talk to me when their official decisions from the bench are wholly unsupportable by written US law, as so many of those from leftist Justices are, and THEN we'll talk about appropriate.

You don't remember or you never wanted to know - willfull ignorance?

http://www.state.wv.us/wvsca/jic/codejc.htm

Now you'll know if you want to know. See the link for an example

Last edited:

Two questions:
Plutocracy anyone?

nice to know the koch's have the ethically challenged scalia and his buddy in their pockets.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/15/us/politics/15judge.text.html?_r=3&pagewanted=1

Two questions:
Plutocracy anyone?

You don't remember or you never wanted to know - willfull ignorance?

CODE OF JUDICIAL CONDUCT

Now you'll know if you want to know. See the link for an example
Its not fully clear from the source, but it appears this is is from the state of WV.
Does WV's code of conduct govern the actions of federal judges, especially those not in WV?

Tell me:
Does this partucular instance change your opinion as to Scala or Roberts' ability to carry out their judicial responsibilities with integrity, impartiality, and competence?

Last edited:
Its not fully clear from the source, but it appears this is is from the state of WV.
Does WV's code of conduct restrict the actions of federal judges, especially those not in WV?

Tell me:
Does this partucular instance change your opinion as to Scala or Roberts' ability to carry out their judicial responsibilities with integrity, impartiality, and competence?

the state of west virginia does not govern the code of conduct of a supreme court justice. but no justice (or lawyer) can do anything that has an APPEARANCE of impropriety.

I'm going to guess that's true even in WV, anyway.

Forum List

Back