Justice Scalia & Justice Thomas

Wry Catcher

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Last night I heard on the radio that Justice Scalia and Justice Thomas attended the private strategy meeting hosted by the Kock brothers in Palm Springs. The NYT's reported:

"Koch Industries, the longtime underwriter of libertarian causes from the Cato Institute in Washington to the ballot initiative that would suspend California’s landmark law capping greenhouse gases, is planning a confidential meeting at the Rancho Las Palmas Resort and Spa to, as an invitation says, “develop strategies to counter the most severe threats facing our free society and outline a vision of how we can foster a renewal of American free enterprise and prosperity.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/20/us/politics/20koch.html

Two questions:
Is the participation of two members of the USSC at a solely political secret meeting appropriate?
Plutocracy anyone?

Last night I heard on the radio that Justice Scalia and Justice Thomas attended the private strategy meeting hosted by the Kock brothers in Palm Springs. The NYT's reported:

"Koch Industries, the longtime underwriter of libertarian causes from the Cato Institute in Washington to the ballot initiative that would suspend California’s landmark law capping greenhouse gases, is planning a confidential meeting at the Rancho Las Palmas Resort and Spa to, as an invitation says, “develop strategies to counter the most severe threats facing our free society and outline a vision of how we can foster a renewal of American free enterprise and prosperity.”

Two questions:
Is the participation of two members of the USSC at a solely political secret meeting appropriate?
Plutocracy anyone?

Did they wear their robes and bring gavels?

Two questions:
Plutocracy anyone?

Newsflash:

It isn't "solely political."

That's one of the things that makes it "secret."

Two questions:
Plutocracy anyone?

The Supreme Court overstepping It's Constitutional Authority by Abusing Judicial Review, contributes to Oligarchy/Plutocracy.

The Justices attending a Meeting by it self does not. ;)

This must be some of that judicial activism the right was talking about.

You mean like appointing and confirming a Supreme Court Justice that openly admits Latino Women are smarter then men? That belongs to an openly anti American racist group? You mean like that?

• Banned

Two questions:
Plutocracy anyone?

The Supreme Court overstepping It's Constitutional Authority by Abusing Judicial Review, contributes to Oligarchy/Plutocracy.

The Supreme Court overstepping It's Constitutional Authority by Abusing Judicial Review, contributes to Oligarchy/Plutocracy is an Interesting point. Did the Justices cross the line in Citizens United v. FEC? The nexus between the Kock Brothers wealth and unlimited ability to influence elections should give pause to every thinking American.

You mean like appointing and confirming a Supreme Court Justice that openly admits Latino Women are smarter then men? That belongs to an openly anti American racist group? You mean like that?

That was not what I was referring to.
Do you mean to say that Latino women are not smarter than men?

btw that is not racist, but sexist it would seem to me.

She is a member of La Raza, which IS Anti American and racist. She is sexist based on her statements about being smarter then men and again racist by proclaiming she as a Latino is smarter then white men.

Last night I heard on the radio that Justice Scalia and Justice Thomas attended the private strategy meeting hosted by the Kock brothers in Palm Springs.

please link to substantiate this, as this is the second time you have made that claim......

in fact last thread you said declaratively- they met in private WITH the Kock [sic] bros...are you backing off of that now?

Its a session...how many makes a 'session'? Oh and remember to make this claim the Koch bro.s actually have to be in the room.

Can you in fact even prove they were in attendance, because I have seen sources that aren't even sure if they were there, they just know they were invited...

and gee how secret is this btw? what constitutes secret? Please explain your reasoning as to what secret is and what it means to you in this context.

facts anyone?

Two questions:
Plutocracy anyone?

The Supreme Court overstepping It's Constitutional Authority by Abusing Judicial Review, contributes to Oligarchy/Plutocracy is an Interesting point. Did the Justices cross the line in Citizens United v. FEC? The nexus between the Kock Brothers wealth and unlimited ability to influence elections should give pause to every thinking American.

From my perspective, No. It is a Free Speech Issue, which includes the Right to hear or Listen, and discern for one's self. Be the Source from the Right or Left, the Messenger should not be confused with the Message. Let the message stand or fall on it's own Merritt. The Truth has a right to be heard. Censorship and Book Banning would have been the next step. We need to have more Faith in the ability of the Individual to reason. If there anything as a Society we should be working on, it's developing that skill.

The Governments role as the Referee is to Establish and maintain the integrity of the playing field, not pick and lose winners or predetermine outcome. We need Impartial application of the Law, not loaded dice, or the dealer changing the rules every time he deals a new hand and has looked at his cards. It does take the fun out of the game. ;)
Who wants to play Catch-22???

She is a member of La Raza, which IS Anti American and racist. She is sexist based on her statements about being smarter then men and again racist by proclaiming she as a Latino is smarter then white men.

You have proof that she is not smarter than you are?
From your posts I have concluded that you are a white male.

From my perspective, No. It is a Free Speech Issue, which includes the Right to hear or Listen, and discern for one's self. Be the Source from the Right or Left, the Messenger should not be confused with the Message. Let the message stand or fall on it's own Merritt. The Truth has a right to be heard. Censorship and Book Banning would have been the next step. We need to have more Faith in the ability of the Individual to reason. If there anything as a Society we should be working on, it's developing that skill.

The Governments role as the Referee is to Establish and maintain the integrity of the playing field, not pick and lose winners or predetermine outcome. We need Impartial application of the Law, not loaded dice, or the dealer changing the rules every time he deals a new hand and has looked at his cards. It does take the fun out of the game. ;)

Scalia ....*gosh oh mighty* also had a 10 hour seminar at
^que the sinister gotcha music^ bum bum bumm ...Federalist Society meeting for 100 lawyers..the fiend!!:eek:

Last night I heard on the radio that Justice Scalia and Justice Thomas attended the private strategy meeting hosted by the Kock brothers in Palm Springs.

please link to substantiate this, as this is the second time you have made that claim......

in fact last thread you said declaratively- they met in private WITH the Kock [sic] bros...are you backing off of that now?

Its a session...how many makes a 'session'? Oh and remember to make this claim the Koch bro.s actually have to be in the room.

Can you in fact even prove they were in attendance, because I have seen sources that aren't even sure if they were there, they just know they were invited...

and gee how secret is this btw? what constitutes secret? Please explain your reasoning as to what secret is and what it means to you in this context.

facts anyone?

The facts are hard to come by, here is a link to a fair and balanced article from the Huffington Post:
Justices Scalia And Thomas's Attendance At Koch Event Sparks Judicial Ethics Debate

My point is, if they didn't attend it is a scurrilous attack, if they did attend it's worth knowing and asking questions.

Juxtapose this steaming heap of a thread with the dearth of comment from the usual Fabian/progressive bedwetter suspects, about Immelt getting a cush position with the administration and GE getting big time exemptions from EPA regs.

Y'know.....It's all about "asking questions".

:eusa_whistle:

Last edited:

From my perspective Citizens United is a first step towards a remaking of our democratic heritage. Money and great wealth in the hands of the few have usually lead to abuse, for power tends to corrupt and few would dispute great wealth provides the holder with power.
If in fact Scalia and Thomas attended a strategy meeting and participated in any partisan discussions such behavior is an example of the arrogance of power and ought to be made an issue.
Surely an NFL Umpire or Referee attending dinner with one Super Bowl Team owner, going to a hunting lodge with the owner and attending team meetings on strategy for the big game would raise an eyebrow or two.

The Koch brothers are to the left what George Soros is to the right.
What would the right's reaction be if Soros had private meetings with Justices Ginsberg and Breyer?
Whatever happened to the concept of an impartial court?

Provide EVIDENCE any such meeting took place.

Juxtapose this steaming heap of a thread with the dearth of comment from the usual Fabian/progressive bedwetter suspects, about Immelt getting a cush position with the administration and GE getting big time exemptions from EPA regs.

Y'know.....It's all about "asking questions".

:eusa_whistle:

So, post a thread and ask the questions. Posting glib comments as you do suggests only that you're an arrogant self righteous asshole. Of course posting such a thread, asking necessary questions won't make you any less of an arrogant self righteous asshole. It might give you some credibility though, something none of your many short comments fail to do.

The Koch brothers are to the left what George Soros is to the right.
What would the right's reaction be if Soros had private meetings with Justices Ginsberg and Breyer?
Whatever happened to the concept of an impartial court?

Provide EVIDENCE any such meeting took place.

Read the OP and my post above. I have no proof, only secondary sources of which there are many.
You ought to know about secondary sources, most of what you post are comments from others without attribution.

Forum List

Back