Justice Scalia & Justice Thomas

Its not fully clear from the source, but it appears this is is from the state of WV.
Does WV's code of conduct restrict the actions of federal judges, especially those not in WV?

Tell me:
Does this partucular instance change your opinion as to Scala or Roberts' ability to carry out their judicial responsibilities with integrity, impartiality, and competence?

the state of west virginia does not govern the code of conduct of a supreme court justice. but no justice (or lawyer) can do anything that has an APPEARANCE of impropriety.

I'm going to guess that's true even in WV, anyway.
I asked; you did not answer..

Does this partucular instance change your opinion as to Scala or Roberts' ability to carry out their judicial responsibilities with integrity, impartiality, and competence?

Its not fully clear from the source, but it appears this is is from the state of WV.
Does WV's code of conduct restrict the actions of federal judges, especially those not in WV?

Tell me:

the state of west virginia does not govern the code of conduct of a supreme court justice. but no justice (or lawyer) can do anything that has an APPEARANCE of impropriety.

does it change my opinion?

no. i always thought they were hacks. they just keep proving it.

their being there is inappropriate.

as was thomas ruling on a case that involved a group that pays his wife hundreds of thousands of dollars a year...

and scalia ruling on a case that involved his hunting buddy's employment.

Well then - you cannot then aruge an appearance of impropriety here.

The test for appearance of impropriety is whether the conduct would create in reasonable minds a perception that the judge's ability to carry out judicial responsibilities with integrity, impartiality, and competence is impaired.

Your perception to this effect pre-exists this instance, and therefore this instance could not create any such perception. As this instance could not have created this perception, it cannot qualify as 'improperr".

:shrug:

The test for appearance of impropriety is whether the conduct would create in reasonable minds a perception that the judge's ability to carry out judicial responsibilities with integrity, impartiality, and competence is impaired.

Your perception to this effect pre-exists this instance, and therefore this instance could not create any such perception. As this instance could not have created this perception, it cannot qualify as 'improperr".

you know that's bass ackwards, right?

nice try, though.

no discussion, but good effort at being a wise ass.

you know that's bass ackwards, right?
Nope. Not at all.

-If the perception in question already exists, it cannot then be created by a certain action.
-If a certain action cannot create the perception in question , that activity cannot, by defintion, have the iappearance of impropriety
-By admitting that you already had the perception in question, you eliminated any possibility of the appearance of impropriety.

Perhaps next time you'll keep your partsian bigotry in check.

Last night I heard on the radio that Justice Scalia and Justice Thomas attended the private strategy meeting hosted by the Kock brothers in Palm Springs. The NYT's reported:

"Koch Industries, the longtime underwriter of libertarian causes from the Cato Institute in Washington to the ballot initiative that would suspend California’s landmark law capping greenhouse gases, is planning a confidential meeting at the Rancho Las Palmas Resort and Spa to, as an invitation says, “develop strategies to counter the most severe threats facing our free society and outline a vision of how we can foster a renewal of American free enterprise and prosperity.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/15/us/politics/15judge.text.html?_r=3&pagewanted=1

Two questions:
Is the participation of two members of the USSC at a solely political secret meeting appropriate?
Plutocracy anyone?

I don't remember it being written anywhere that becoming a Supreme Court Justice forfeits one's right to personal, private interests, even of a political nature.

Talk to me when their official decisions from the bench are wholly unsupportable by written US law, as so many of those from leftist Justices are, and THEN we'll talk about appropriate.

You don't remember or you never wanted to know - willfull ignorance?

CODE OF JUDICIAL CONDUCT

Now you'll know if you want to know. See the link for an example

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the judicial code of ethics for the state of West Virginia. So no, I never knew that, because I don't live in West fucking Virginia, and never have. And, of course, it has fuck-all to do with the Justices of the Supreme Court, who aren't under the jurisdiction of the state of West fucking Virginia.

Now YOU know, if you are capable of knowing anything.

Tell me:

Of course, to the left, Scalia and Thomas waking up in the morning and breathing in and out has an appearance of impropriety, so . . .

I don't remember it being written anywhere that becoming a Supreme Court Justice forfeits one's right to personal, private interests, even of a political nature.

Talk to me when their official decisions from the bench are wholly unsupportable by written US law, as so many of those from leftist Justices are, and THEN we'll talk about appropriate.

CODE OF JUDICIAL CONDUCT

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the judicial code of ethics for the state of West Virginia. So no, I never knew that, because I don't live in West fucking Virginia, and never have. And, of course, it has fuck-all to do with the Justices of the Supreme Court, who aren't under the jurisdiction of the state of West fucking Virginia.

Reading comp problem? Do you know the meaning of the word "Example".
Would you like me to post links to a dozen or more other similar examples?

Last edited:

CODE OF JUDICIAL CONDUCT

Would you like me to post links to a dozen or more other similar examples.

Reading comp problem? Do you know the meaning of "jurisdiction", or does it have too many syllables for you?

You can post me examples all fucking day of things that have no relevance to the US Supreme Court, if that makes you feel important, and it's STILL going to have the same answer: doesn't fucking matter here.

Go ahead. Tell me all about the judicial code of conduct in Light-My-Fart, Arkansas. Knock yourself out.

Reading comp problem? Do you know the meaning of "jurisdiction", or does it have too many syllables for you?

You can post me examples all fucking day of things that have no relevance to the US Supreme Court, if that makes you feel important, and it's STILL going to have the same answer: doesn't fucking matter here.

Go ahead. Tell me all about the judicial code of conduct in Light-My-Fart, Arkansas. Knock yourself out.

Thanks for sharing. You've provided more evidence of how stupid right wingers are.

Judges and Justices recuse themselves everyday whenever an appearence of conflict exists; Scalia is the epitome of arrogance and an example of what is wrong with the USSC as it is currently composed.

will kagan recuse herself from the obama care case?

Why, exactly?

Scalia set the bar here.

no sorry..not even close.

Kagan was solicitor general and helped litigate or fashion litigation for Obamacare.

Kagan has already told the committee she would recuse herself from any case in which she “participated in formulating the government’s litigating position.” Given that she appears to take an expansive view of Congress’ power to regulate interstate commerce, the best possible outcome for opponents of ObamaCare would probably be for Kagan to join the Court but recuse herself from cases challenging that law.

http://www.unitedliberty.org/articles/6366-will-kagan-recuse-herself-from-obamacare-case

Last edited:
Last night I heard on the radio that Justice Scalia and Justice Thomas attended the private strategy meeting hosted by the Kock brothers in Palm Springs. The NYT's reported:

"Koch Industries, the longtime underwriter of libertarian causes from the Cato Institute in Washington to the ballot initiative that would suspend California’s landmark law capping greenhouse gases, is planning a confidential meeting at the Rancho Las Palmas Resort and Spa to, as an invitation says, “develop strategies to counter the most severe threats facing our free society and outline a vision of how we can foster a renewal of American free enterprise and prosperity.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/20/us/politics/20koch.html

Two questions:
Is the participation of two members of the USSC at a solely political secret meeting appropriate?
Plutocracy anyone?

nice to know the koch's have the ethically challenged scalia and his buddy in their pockets.

how so?

Thanks for sharing. You've provided more evidence of how stupid right wingers are.

Yes, it's stupid of me to think that the conduct rules for Justices of the Peace in Tweedle-Your-Ballsack, Wyoming, would have no effect on US Supreme Court Justices . . . apparently much like the left thinks it's stupid of us to believe that laws in Europe should have no effect or bearing on legal cases in the United States, to observe YOUR ideas of sterling judiciary behavior, Ginsburg and Breyer. :cuckoo:

State Bar of Georgia - Georgia Code of Judicial Conduct

One more example. Notice, no discussion in re Jurisdiction.

OF COURSE there's no discussion of jurisdiction. You're a leftist, so you have no clue what it means. You think it's spiffy to decide US legal cases based on laws from other countries. So NATURALLY, you think talking about West Virginia and Georgia are examples of . . . I don't know what, exactly, because I'm not a leftist, but they're by God examples, right? :eusa_hand:

God forbid you should take your ignorant leftist ass (I know that's redundant) out and find me something that actually RELATES to the US Supreme Court upon which to hang your bitching and moaning.

And by the way, dumb shit, don't send me any more private essays about "Why I Think You're Stupid". Only a leftist would be brain-damaged enough to think someone who has just neg-repped you for being dumber than dirt would care what you think about them. :lol:

OF COURSE there's no discussion of jurisdiction. You're a leftist, so you have no clue what it means. You think it's spiffy to decide US legal cases based on laws from other countries. So NATURALLY, you think talking about West Virginia and Georgia are examples of . . . I don't know what, exactly, because I'm not a leftist, but they're by God examples, right? :eusa_hand:

God forbid you should take your ignorant leftist ass (I know that's redundant) out and find me something that actually RELATES to the US Supreme Court upon which to hang your bitching and moaning.

And by the way, dumb shit, don't send me any more private essays about "Why I Think You're Stupid". Only a leftist would be brain-damaged enough to think someone who has just neg-repped you for being dumber than dirt would care what you think about them. :lol:

Laugh all you want, using Jurisdiciton in the context you have is incorrect and is evidence you are one more RW hack without integrity or even average intelligence.

Document Viewer

See in particular Cannon 2, clause B, in re Outside Influence.

Two questions:
Plutocracy anyone?

Not to throw too much water on your delusions, but the article states pretty clearly that the two you mention had attended other get togethers, but not this one.

Do you ever tire of misdirection?

Only a dumb shit like you would think that SCOTUS justices are not subject to a code of conduct

Document Viewer

Two questions:
Plutocracy anyone?

Not to throw too much water on your delusions, but the article states pretty clearly that the two you mention had attended other get togethers, but not this one.

Do you ever tire of misdirection?

Read what I posted and stick your personal attack up your ass. There is no misdirection nor am I delusional. I stated very clearly I had no direct evidence they attended. In my post (#14) I wrote:

"The facts are hard to come by, here is a link to a fair and balanced article from the Huffington Post:" "'Justices Scalia And Thomas's Attendance At Koch Event Sparks Judicial Ethics Debate""

"My point is, if they didn't attend it is a scurrilous attack, if they did attend it's worth knowing and asking questions."

But thanks for sharing. Would you like to share your opinion on the US Courts Code of Conduct and IF Scalia and Thomas attended such a meeting as took place in Palm Springs last week how appropriate you find that conduct?

This must be some of that judicial activism the right was talking about.
I'm sorry, I couldn't see your response, my hypocrisy warning light was flashing too brightly whenever it came on screen.

Your criticism would have had validity if you complained about judicial activism regarding things that the left loved as well. I know you are mad that the USSC didn't strike down the Patriot Act, and I am not happy with parts of it either, but... them's the breaks when you play this game. Now you have equality between corporations and unions with Citizens United too. And now that the political tide is reversing... you have the gall to complain?

How about that 'wise latina' Sotomayor who tried to codify anti-white racism into law with the New Haven fire fighter case? Did you protest that?

I'll give you a break on the judicial activism of the 1930's that overlooked all the New Deal reforms because you probably weren't around them, nor was I.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back