Would You Convict?

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Madeline, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Cecil Conner was extremely drunk when, at two in the morning he got behind the wheel of a car. His girlfriend's five year old son was with him. Less than an hour later, he crashed the car into a tree and the child was killed. He is on trial for aggravated drunken driving, and evidence has been introduced to show his blood alcohol was .208 at the time of the crash.

Case closed?

Not exactly. Though the prosecutor sought to exclude this evidence, here are some additional facts the jury will hear:

The child's mother had come to collect Cecil from his friend's house because, after drinking all day, Cecil felt he was too drunk to drive. The police stopped the car and the girlfriend was arrested for driving on a suspended license.

Having now no safe way to get home (and having the care of that child), Cecil called friends, desperate for another ride. However, the police grew impatient and told Cecil if he did not drive away immediately, he would be arrested as well. Cecil claims he told the police he was drunk but they did not seem to care.

It seems to me, the people who should be on trial here are the cops and not the driver (assuming all these facts are correct).

Lawyer: Drunk driver called friends for help before fatal crash - chicagotribune.com

What say you?

2. R.C. Christian

R.C. Christian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,195
    Very interesting.

3. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    He should have still refused to drive, whether arrested or not, whether the cops cared or not. So now the kid is dead because he didn't want to go to jail too. He is guilty, and the cops are accessory to the crime in question.

That is, IF the facts are as stated..which we won't know until the trial.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    I hear you. But I also can believe that a law abiding person, drunk off his ass, confused and unable to reach a friend who could drive, pressured by the cops to drive home -- such a person would have followed their instructions against his better judgment.

BTW, though of course we do need the facts proven at trial, the behavior of the police who stopped the girlfriend and arrested her, then ordered Conners to drive home is not in issue. Not really.

Cecil Conner: Officer who gave keys to driver before fatal crash testifies - chicagotribune.com

IMO, the prosecutor in this case should be hauled up before the state bar's ethics committee. At the very least, he should be charging the police involved with a crime -- reckless endangerment or negligent homicide.

5. R.C. Christian

R.C. Christian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,195
    The system always tries to protect their own. It's extremely pathetic.

6. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Somebody is obviously lying, and the jury needs to hear all the facts. I know there would be no way I would find him guilty if he went from being fine to having a strong odor of alcohol in less than 40 minutes unless someone could explain where he got that alcohol. No wonder the judge wants to keep the evidence out of court.

7. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    Driving drunk. Guilty.

8. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    this.

sounds like a couple of drunks that did not have any business with a child anyway.
    And they guy got too drunk to drive knowing his wife? had a suspended liscence?
    And sounds like he was already driving drunk or how would the cops have told him to drive away?

A fine bunch. Yep I would convict him, but maybe prosecute the cops as well.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  9. Intense

Intense Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,863
    Why was She pulled over in the first place??? Why was he drinking so heavily while responsible for the boy??? He shouldn't have driven. The complications may contribute to a reduced sentence. The Cop's on scene have some explaining to do, too.

10. Ernie S.

Ernie S. Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,500
    Poor Ceicil is guilty, no way around that, but I see a big payday on the way for the child's mother.