Justice for New Haven Firefighters

I'm saying that? I didn't know that. Please, in the future, avoid claiming I am saying things that I'm actually not.

Look. I'm not playing semantics with you. If you don't want people reading between the lines on your posts, then clarify your writings. Your posts imply that you think people shouldn't criticize Sotomayor and point out the fact that she's made VERY racist statements ( and based on those statements is indeed a racist), because she's Hispanic and we might make other Hispanics mad. In other words.. You better be nice to Sotomayor because she's Hispanic and Hispanics won't vote for you if you don't support her.

You didn't read between the lines. You flatly made shit up. I never said, nor implied, that nobody should criticize Sotomayor. As for her VERY racist statements, she's said ONE statement that could be construed as racist, and a weak one at that. Feel free to attack her, but if you attack her based on Latina stereotypes (she is so uneven and hot tempered!), or saying that you hope shes not PMS'ing on the day she appears before Congress, yeah, your going to lose Latino votes.

Actually, feel free to bash her for whatever reactionary reasons you want. As I said, it'll just cause the Republicans to lose more and more of the Latino population. Which I really, really don't have a problem with.

Do you just not bother to read your own words? The whole BASIS of your earlier post was to point out that if someone called Sotomayor a racist that negative consequences ( loss of Hispanic vote ) would ensue. ( Note to self.. Meister is right, Meister is right )

Actually hispanics should be happy with this ruling, since two of the firefighters were hispanic. The media is screaming WHITE firefighters, but if you go back to the original story, they weren't all white.

So for the guy yelling about latinos and being upset with republicans for going against Sotomayor. I think latinos/hispanics are smart enough to think for themselves I don't see them voting as a group, like the libs seem to think they're going to do in the future.

They're a pretty diverse group of people. After all on the last census 1/2 put themselves down as white-hispanic.

No, I don't. What about me asking a question makes you think I assume a lot?

you wouldn't have asked unless you thought I didn't read it. it's your M.O.

BTW here is where I read it if you care to know that too

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/08pdf/07-1428.pdf

Having an opinion about something isn't an assumption, dumbass. Good, so you made use of the link I posted. Your welcome.

i am more than capable of finding a link without your help.

i downloaded the pdf before I posted the thread. You like to give yourself credit when you don't deserve it don't you.

Does anyone have any actual evidence that the tests were racist? More importantly does New Haven have any evidence?

Nope, do it to prove it ... otherwise you are just looking for an excuse to whine. Intelligence and knowledge based tests cannot be racist, period. The test is a viable method for determining hiring and promotions, degrees from school are not.

ACLU of Washington | ACLU Report Highlights Racial Disparities in WASL Scores

You do know that much of America is still segregated and the knowledge that people attain in their segregated patches can be different, right?

Just because you are too ignorant and stupid to think of how a test can be racist, doesn't mean its impossible.

Still doesn't prove that tests can be racist ... their argument is that using them is racist but the ACLU is always looking for a fight even when there isn't one. ;)

The real issue with the WASL is that not all students do good in test taking, nothing about the racial nature. So, unless you are perpetuating the myth that minorites are naturally stupid, tests about intellect and ability are not racists, do you think that blacks are "just plain too stupid"?

You said to show you a test where whites did 50% better than blacks to "prove" it. I did. And now you want to say thats not proof?

Yeah, as usual, you are just a lying sack of shit.

Not all tests test the same thing, moron. Even you should know that.

Look. I'm not playing semantics with you. If you don't want people reading between the lines on your posts, then clarify your writings. Your posts imply that you think people shouldn't criticize Sotomayor and point out the fact that she's made VERY racist statements ( and based on those statements is indeed a racist), because she's Hispanic and we might make other Hispanics mad. In other words.. You better be nice to Sotomayor because she's Hispanic and Hispanics won't vote for you if you don't support her.

You didn't read between the lines. You flatly made shit up. I never said, nor implied, that nobody should criticize Sotomayor. As for her VERY racist statements, she's said ONE statement that could be construed as racist, and a weak one at that. Feel free to attack her, but if you attack her based on Latina stereotypes (she is so uneven and hot tempered!), or saying that you hope shes not PMS'ing on the day she appears before Congress, yeah, your going to lose Latino votes.

Actually, feel free to bash her for whatever reactionary reasons you want. As I said, it'll just cause the Republicans to lose more and more of the Latino population. Which I really, really don't have a problem with.

Do you just not bother to read your own words? The whole BASIS of your earlier post was to point out that if someone called Sotomayor a racist that negative consequences ( loss of Hispanic vote ) would ensue. ( Note to self.. Meister is right, Meister is right )

You can, I hope realize the difference between a legitimate criticism and just screaming racist at every chance you get, I hope?

so here's the truth of the matter. The black firemen did not prepare. Did not study. Did not put forth the effort. And when they failed.. They cried racism. I think that's the brutal truth. We should not have one standard for white firemen and another for black.. Not unless we advocate one standard for white doctors and nother for black. one standard for white lawyers and another for black.. etc etc etc.. everyone who is a fireman whould know how to do the job.. equally well..
You don't know that they didn't prepare and they most certainly did not cry racism. You're an idiot Willow, and your post about only white men getting stimulous jobs was either a lie or just futher proof that you are an idiot because no one said that.

I may be an idiot,, but they did cry racism.. sotomyer ruled it a racist test.. and yes,, we did all see the man say that the money and jobs should not go to those prepared and to white men.. we all got a good laugh over it.. denial is a river in egypt.. ravirabid.:lol:

You do understand that just because they have a problem with white men getting ALL the jobs doesn't mean they think white men should get NO jobs, correct?

so here's the truth of the matter. The black firemen did not prepare. Did not study. Did not put forth the effort. And when they failed.. They cried racism. I think that's the brutal truth. We should not have one standard for white firemen and another for black.. Not unless we advocate one standard for white doctors and nother for black. one standard for white lawyers and another for black.. etc etc etc.. everyone who is a fireman whould know how to do the job.. equally well..
You don't know that they didn't prepare and they most certainly did not cry racism. You're an idiot Willow, and your post about only white men getting stimulous jobs was either a lie or just futher proof that you are an idiot because no one said that.

I may be an idiot,, but they did cry racism.. sotomyer ruled it a racist test.. and yes,, we did all see the man say that the money and jobs should not go to those prepared and to white men.. we all got a good laugh over it.. denial is a river in egypt.. ravirabid.:lol:

No, she didn't.

From NPR In a six-sentence unsigned order, the panel said that because the test appeared to violate a provision of federal law that treats such racially disproportionate test results with grave suspicion, the city was within its rights to take the steps necessary to avoid liability.

You do know that much of America is still segregated and the knowledge that people attain in their segregated patches can be different, right?

Just because you are too ignorant and stupid to think of how a test can be racist, doesn't mean its impossible.

Still doesn't prove that tests can be racist ... their argument is that using them is racist but the ACLU is always looking for a fight even when there isn't one. ;)

The real issue with the WASL is that not all students do good in test taking, nothing about the racial nature. So, unless you are perpetuating the myth that minorites are naturally stupid, tests about intellect and ability are not racists, do you think that blacks are "just plain too stupid"?

You said to show you a test where whites did 50% better than blacks to "prove" it. I did. And now you want to say thats not proof?

A test given to high school sophomores hardly seems a valid comparison to the firefighter's exam or any exam given to adults.

teenagers have less life experience and most likely didn't have a set of specific set of material in a narrowly defined subject area on which the questions on the test were based.

Actually hispanics should be happy with this ruling, since two of the firefighters were hispanic. The media is screaming WHITE firefighters, but if you go back to the original story, they weren't all white.

So for the guy yelling about latinos and being upset with republicans for going against Sotomayor. I think latinos/hispanics are smart enough to think for themselves I don't see them voting as a group, like the libs seem to think they're going to do in the future.

They're a pretty diverse group of people. After all on the last census 1/2 put themselves down as white-hispanic.

They won't vote as a group. At least 8% now have a favorable view of the GOP. I'm sure they might pick up 10 or 20 votes.

A test given to high school sophomores hardly seems a valid comparison to the firefighter's exam or any exam given to adults.

teenagers have less life experience and most likely didn't have a set of specific set of material in a narrowly defined subject area on which the questions on the test were based.

KK said no test can be racist. I proved her wrong. How similar or dissimilar it is to the firefighter test is irrelevant.

So you admit that blacks are less intelligent ... good to know that there is proof of such. Black people are inherently stupid ... according to your "proof".

Umm, you should prolly. And feel free to discount them the fastest growing demographic in the US :lol:

So Nik, You're basically saying that people should support Sotomayor's appointment to the Supreme Court BECAUSE she is Hispanic. You don't have to look any further than your own mirror if you're looking for a racist.

I'm saying that? I didn't know that. Please, in the future, avoid claiming I am saying things that I'm actually not.

duckin and dancin again i see ........:lol:

So you admit that blacks are less intelligent ... good to know that there is proof of such. Black people are inherently stupid ... according to your "proof".

Incorrect. Try again?

Did you know that randomly chosen whites do significantly less than randomly chosen Hispanics on tests consisted entirely in Spanish?

Why are whites so much more stupid than Hispanics?

Does anyone have any actual evidence that the tests were racist? More importantly does New Haven have any evidence?

Its called racially disparate results.

the results do not prove the test was racist.

that conclusion assumes (there's that word again) that everyone taking the test was equal in all aspects except the color of their skin.

obviously some people studied more than others, hence the disparate results.

I would think if a dyslexic can get high marks on the test then anyone without a learning disability who prepared as diligently should be able to score well.

MEET FRANK RICCI | Newsradio 620 - Milwaukee, Wisconsin News, Talk, Sports, Weather | Charlie Sykes
Frank Ricci, a firefighter in New Haven, Conn., worked hard, played by the rules, and earned a promotion to fire lieutenant. But the city denied him the promotion because he is not black. Ricci sued, along with 16 other whites and one Hispanic firefighter. After a 7-6, near-party-line vote by a federal Appeals Court to dismiss the lawsuit, the plaintiffs petitioned for Supreme Court review....

Ricci studied for eight to 13 hours a day to prepare for the combined written and oral exam in 2003 that he hoped would win him a promotion. He spent more than $1,000 buying the books that the city had suggested as homework and paying an acquaintance to read them onto audiotapes. (Ricci is dyslexic and learns better by listening.) And he got one of the highest scores.

But Ricci and other would-be lieutenants and captains with high scores did not get the promotions they expected. The reason was that -- because not enough black firefighters had done well enough to be eligible -- New Haven decided to discard the test results and make no promotions at a
ll.

Now that's commitment and that type of effort that results in success should not be dismissed on phony racism charges.

Its called racially disparate results.

the results do not prove the test was racist.

that conclusion assumes (there's that word again) that everyone taking the test was equal in all aspects except the color of their skin.

obviously some people studied more than others, hence the disparate results.

I would think if a dyslexic can get high marks on the test then anyone without a learning disability who prepared as diligently should be able to score well.

MEET FRANK RICCI | Newsradio 620 - Milwaukee, Wisconsin News, Talk, Sports, Weather | Charlie Sykes
Frank Ricci, a firefighter in New Haven, Conn., worked hard, played by the rules, and earned a promotion to fire lieutenant. But the city denied him the promotion because he is not black. Ricci sued, along with 16 other whites and one Hispanic firefighter. After a 7-6, near-party-line vote by a federal Appeals Court to dismiss the lawsuit, the plaintiffs petitioned for Supreme Court review....

Ricci studied for eight to 13 hours a day to prepare for the combined written and oral exam in 2003 that he hoped would win him a promotion. He spent more than $1,000 buying the books that the city had suggested as homework and paying an acquaintance to read them onto audiotapes. (Ricci is dyslexic and learns better by listening.) And he got one of the highest scores.

But Ricci and other would-be lieutenants and captains with high scores did not get the promotions they expected. The reason was that -- because not enough black firefighters had done well enough to be eligible -- New Haven decided to discard the test results and make no promotions at a
ll.

Now that's commitment and that type of effort that results in success should not be dismissed on phony racism charges.

Just curious...how long did the blacks study?

Incorrect. Try again?

Really? So then tests are not racist ... one or the other, you can't claim both.

Forum List

Back