Justice for New Haven Firefighters

So you admit that blacks are less intelligent ... good to know that there is proof of such. Black people are inherently stupid ... according to your "proof".

Incorrect. Try again?

Really? So then tests are not racist ... one or the other, you can't claim both.

Yes, actually I can. It speaks only to your own stupidity that you think those are the only two claims one can make.

Its called racially disparate results.

the results do not prove the test was racist.

that conclusion assumes (there's that word again) that everyone taking the test was equal in all aspects except the color of their skin.

obviously some people studied more than others, hence the disparate results.

I would think if a dyslexic can get high marks on the test then anyone without a learning disability who prepared as diligently should be able to score well.

MEET FRANK RICCI | Newsradio 620 - Milwaukee, Wisconsin News, Talk, Sports, Weather | Charlie Sykes
Frank Ricci, a firefighter in New Haven, Conn., worked hard, played by the rules, and earned a promotion to fire lieutenant. But the city denied him the promotion because he is not black. Ricci sued, along with 16 other whites and one Hispanic firefighter. After a 7-6, near-party-line vote by a federal Appeals Court to dismiss the lawsuit, the plaintiffs petitioned for Supreme Court review....

Ricci studied for eight to 13 hours a day to prepare for the combined written and oral exam in 2003 that he hoped would win him a promotion. He spent more than $1,000 buying the books that the city had suggested as homework and paying an acquaintance to read them onto audiotapes. (Ricci is dyslexic and learns better by listening.) And he got one of the highest scores.

But Ricci and other would-be lieutenants and captains with high scores did not get the promotions they expected. The reason was that -- because not enough black firefighters had done well enough to be eligible -- New Haven decided to discard the test results and make no promotions at a
ll.

Now that's commitment and that type of effort that results in success should not be dismissed on phony racism charges.

Just curious...how long did the blacks study?

obviously not as much as the people who scored the highest. please notice that race plays no part in my argument. this was not a test on which scores can vary because of socioeconomic reasons or any other reason. these tests are not rocket science. the questions are based on a very specific subject matter. and everyone had the opportunity to obtain the books from which to study.

I've taken many similar tests to obtain various licenses and certifications and without fail those who studied the most regardless of race did the best because the study material was all the same.

Last edited:
the results do not prove the test was racist.

that conclusion assumes (there's that word again) that everyone taking the test was equal in all aspects except the color of their skin.

obviously some people studied more than others, hence the disparate results.

I would think if a dyslexic can get high marks on the test then anyone without a learning disability who prepared as diligently should be able to score well.

MEET FRANK RICCI | Newsradio 620 - Milwaukee, Wisconsin News, Talk, Sports, Weather | Charlie Sykes
ll.

Now that's commitment and that type of effort that results in success should not be dismissed on phony racism charges.

obviously not as much as the people who scored the highest.

these tests are not rocket science. the questions are based on a very specific subject matter. and everyone had the opportunity to obtain the books from which to study.

I've taken many similar tests to obtain various licenses and certifications and without fail those who studied the most regardless of race did the best because the study material was all the same.

Amount of studying does NOT always equate to success. I guarantee you that.

Incorrect. Try again?

Really? So then tests are not racist ... one or the other, you can't claim both.

Yes, actually I can. It speaks only to your own stupidity that you think those are the only two claims one can make.

No you can't, either the tests are not racist because all races are equal and should be able to answer the questions or .... one race is less intelligent and therefore the tests are racist because the less intelligent race cannot answer the questions. This one has no gray area, either true equality (the tests are therefore not influenced by race) or separate but equal (which means one race is in fact inferior to the other).

these tests are not rocket science. the questions are based on a very specific subject matter. and everyone had the opportunity to obtain the books from which to study.

is it so hard to accept that some people simply perform better than others?

or is it easier to cry racism when someone fails?

No you can't, either the tests are not racist because all races are equal and should be able to answer the questions or .... one race is less intelligent and therefore the tests are racist because the less intelligent race cannot answer the questions. This one has no gray area, either true equality (the tests are therefore not influenced by race) or separate but equal (which means one race is in fact inferior to the other).

So tell me why randomly selected hispanics will do better on a Spanish test than randomly selected whites in the US....

is it so hard to accept that some people simply perform better than others?

or is it easier to cry racism when someone fails?

It is hard to accept that people perform better on certain tests because they are white, yes.

Forum List

Back