Just what is it that you think term limits will accomplish?

Discussion in 'Congress' started by PredFan, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Montrovant

Montrovant Fuzzy bears!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,882
    Who said the federal government must create term limits for Congress? It could be a constitutional amendment or simply something decided on a state by state basis.

The president represents the entire country. I'm not sure where this idea that we have a representative government with Congress, but not the president, comes from. Yes, it's a different kind of representation, but so is a Congressperson and a governor, and many states have gubernatorial term limits.

I'm not sure how the Congress we have, which clearly is seen as representing lobbyists, legislative staff, and bureaucrats by many people, would be worse off in that regard with term limits. It seems to me it would be harder for the outside influences to work on the representatives because they would have less time to do so, and because the representatives would have fewer elections to worry about.

Experience is certainly an issue, but term limits do not have to be for a short period. There's no reason the term limit couldn't be 3 or 4 terms. Having the same Congressperson in office for 30+ years, often running unopposed, doesn't seem particularly representative to me.

Term limits are not some sort of magic wand to fix the problems in government, but the current system doesn't seem to be working all that well. Term limits have worked well enough for other offices, I don't think it would cause insurmountable problems to have them for Congress.

2. Montrovant

Montrovant Fuzzy bears!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,882
    I don't see how you can say we already have term limits because the voters decide the fate of their representatives right after you point out that voters don't have a choice after their president serves a second term.

The way it is supposed to be? What do you base that on?

3. Flopper

Flopper Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,682
    When I say the president is not a representative of the people, I'm reflecting what the constitution says. You will find nothing in the constitution regarding presidential representation of the people. However, the constitution makes it quite clear that congress does represent the states and the people. Presidential representation is derived from the idea that the leader of a nation is it's representative.

Term limits are inherently antidemocratic. People should be free to elect to office whomever they want and that voters inherently have the power to limit terms simply by voting incumbents out. Also, term limits will not make the changes that is expected of them. The problems that are behind the call for term limits are not a result of Members of Congress remaining in office for lengthy periods of time. The real problem lies in the use, or misuse, of power in the federal government and the distribution of power.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,887
    We have term limits, they're called elections.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Montrovant

Montrovant Fuzzy bears!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,882
    I agree that misuse of power is the problem. Less time in office would give the representatives less time to misuse their power.

6. toxicmedia

toxicmedia Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,450
    Term Limits will cause more idiots to have a turn at governing us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Flopper

Flopper Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,682
    And more time for their replacements to do the same. The problem is the system. Congress monitors the administration and the Supreme Court monitors the legal actions of both but who monitors congress.

8. PredFan

PredFan Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,568
    And that misuse of power will not change because of shortened careers.

9. PredFan

PredFan Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,568
    So you linit them to 12 years, they misuse their power for 12 then they are out. Someone else comes in and misuses their power for another 12 years. Term limits cannot solve that problem.

10. PredFan

PredFan Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,568
    If you want to make a strong case FOR term limits, just say the name John McCain. :bang3:

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1