Just what is it that you think term limits will accomplish?

PredFan

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2011
In Liberal minds, rent free.
i have asked this question numerous times on Facebook but I'm not sure if I ever asked this here before.

For one thing, we already have term limits, they are called elections. If I like my congressman, and I like what he has done for my district, what right do you have to tell me I have to give him up?

If he in doing a shitty job, he'll get voted out. My representative is not there to serve the nation, he's there to represent my interests.

FYI, my congressman is Alan (crazier than Bernie Sanders) Grayson, but that doesn't change my opinion.

What do you think term limits will accomplish?

i have asked this question numerous times on Facebook but I'm not sure if I ever asked this here before.

For one thing, we already have term limits, they are called elections. If I like my congressman, and I like what he has done for my district, what right do you have to tell me I have to give him up?

If he in doing a shitty job, he'll get voted out. My representative is not there to serve the nation, he's there to represent my interests.

FYI, my congressman is Alan (crazier than Bernie Sanders) Grayson, but that doesn't change my opinion.

Lol, "germ" limits.

I was wondering what a germ limit was...lol

we need term limits so life long people like old turtleneck McConnel does not hy-jack the party like he has. I don't think any of them care about anything but paying off their friends and giving themselves life long insurance and pay.

we need term limits so life long people like old turtleneck McConnel does not hy-jack the party like he has. I don't think any of them care about anything but paying off their friends and giving themselves life long insurance and pay.

But the peopke on his district like him. I do t understand it but they do. Why would you want to take their representation away? Only caring about getting rid of a politician you don't like isn't a valid reason for the bill. I don't like him either it his constituents do and they should be able to keep him. Apparently he represents them.

You have a point that your congressman represent your interests. But why do all taxpayers have to pay your representatives?

If the people in your state were paying the salaries of your representatives and senators rather than everyone else in the country then term limits wouldn't be a federal issue but rather a state issue

Last edited:

But the peopke on his district like him. I do t understand it but they do. Why would you want to take their representation away? Only caring about getting rid of a politician you don't like isn't a valid reason for the bill. I don't like him either it his constituents do and they should be able to keep him. Apparently he represents them.

In principle I agree with you that elections should be term limits. The reality, though, is that Congresspeople often get elected almost by default (or actually by default, when they run unopposed). Congress has, what, a 10% approval rating? That is not indicative of people continuing to elect these representatives because they like them.

We have term limits on our presidents. We can have it for Congress. Perhaps it will help blunt the corruption and cronyism in government.

There will be a lot more ex gov employees, (congressmen) who get a pension and free health care. I agree, if you like their job vote for them again. They already have term limits. I do believe the Supreme Court should have term limits of say 12 years.

You have a point that your congressman represent your interests. But why do all taxpayers have to pay your representatives?

If the people in your state were paying the salaries of your representatives and senators rather than everyone else in the country then term limits wouldn't be a federal issue but rather a state issue

Even if you replace them every 12 years we still have to pay for them.

There will be a lot more ex gov employees, (congressmen) who get a pension and free health care. I agree, if you like their job vote for them again. They already have term limits.

Why should people elected to represent the people in one state and one state only be paid by the federal government?

The people who live in the state they represent should be paying them

Even if you replace them every 12 years we still have to pay for them.

Pensions for politicians need to be abolished

If they do not have to worry about getting elected maybe they'll actually not be selling out the public to every special interest group that can shovel them enough money to help them keep their jobs.

I'm sure we can find another few hundred people every few years to fill those seats. Nobody loses their representation.

they're also spending a large percentage of their time fundraising instead of actually doing their actual jobs.

If I was padding my nest while on the clock at my former jobs I'd have been fired. If I was serving people that were screwing the people paying me I'd have been fired.

Instead of career leeches let's get people in there that might actually want to make a difference and then get them out before that cesspool corrupts them.

In principle I agree with you that elections should be term limits. The reality, though, is that Congresspeople often get elected almost by default (or actually by default, when they run unopposed). Congress has, what, a 10% approval rating? That is not indicative of people continuing to elect these representatives because they like them.

We have term limits on our presidents. We can have it for Congress. Perhaps it will help blunt the corruption and cronyism in government.

If a party in a district is unopposed then you will just replace him with another of that party, no real change there.

The low approval rating is really nonsense. I read somewhere that when you break down that survey, you find that although they think Congress is doing a poor job, their own congressman always gets high marks.

There will be a lot more ex gov employees, (congressmen) who get a pension and free health care. I agree, if you like their job vote for them again. They already have term limits. I do believe the Supreme Court should have term limits of say 12 years.

I like the SCOTUS idea.

Then the president should not have term limits either...

If they do not have to worry about getting elected maybe they'll actually not be selling out the public to every special interest group that can shovel them enough money to help them keep their jobs.

I'm sure we can find another few hundred people every few years to fill those seats. Nobody loses their representation.

they're also spending a large percentage of their time fundraising instead of actually doing their actual jobs.

If I was padding my nest while on the clock at my former jobs I'd have been fired. If I was serving people that were screwing the people paying me I'd have been fired.

Instead of career leeches let's get people in there that might actually want to make a difference and then get them out before that cesspool corrupts them.

You will trade politicians who take special interest money for re-election for politicians who take special interest money to make themselves rich as possible before they are kicked out.

Also, what is wrong with special interest money? Personally, I can think of a couple of special interest groups that I like buying politicians, the BRA for example.

You won't get rid of corruption with term limits.

Then the president should not have term limits either...

Untrue. The president is not our representative, and he needs to have checks in his power.

Awww heck! Another liberal playing make believe.

Forum List

Back