Just a frindly Reminder to all...

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
...DU is a bunch of delusional nuts living in a fantasy world. Not that we didnt know that.

Here's there idea of a troll. Notice we tend to lump trolls as disruptive forces and not judge them by party affiliation or political belief structure. I just thought it funny that their definition of trolls describes our ones that come from there perfectly. Especially the most recent batch.

BobcatJH (74 posts) Fri Apr-21-06 07:49 PM
Original message
Trolls gone wild

Occasionally, we find our progressive blogs' comment threads infested with trolls. If you're somehow unfamiliar with the term, think of a troll as the drunk who pushes his way into your barroom conversation. The proverbial turd in the punchbowl, in the rather unlikely case there's a proverb out there about turds and punchbowls. You get the picture.

Comment trolls tend to be Republicans of varying stripes intent on disruption. From the blunt-force troll with little to say that's not of the four-letter word variety to the benevolent troll who stops by to lecture everyone on the best practices of blog management, trolls are annoying as shit.

But why stay annoyed when you can have fun instead? Make lemonade out of lemons, folks. Trolls are an everyday reminder that someone, somewhere, disagrees with what you're saying and considers it important enough to respond to. So stand proud, progressives! They hate us. They really, really hate us.

Just as there are myriad varieties of Republican voters, there are myriad varieties of Republican trolls. For brevity's sake, I'll talk about my three favorites: The benevolent troll, the blunt-force troll and the relapsing troll.

Benevolent right-wing trolls are often as predictable as their more vulgar fellow travelers. First, they insinuate themselves into a debate, posing as "independent thinkers". Then they regurgitate well-worn talking points that reveal them to be anything but nonpartisan. Once unmasked as right-wingers, the benevolent troll's saga usually ends in two ways. Neither, as you could imagine, are pretty.

One, the troll resorts to name-calling and baseless assertions, despite the fact they at first appeared to be "above the fray". Then, when confronted, they disappear completely without a peep. Or two, when confronted, they post one last jeremiad about how there's too much negativity on the site and they're leaving, because they've got better things to do. Only they brought the negativity. Only they don't have better things to do. They've decided to stop slumming and, I'm guessing, return to the Algonquin Round Table from whence they came.

While benevolent trolls are annoying, they're also rare. Most common are the blunt-force trolls, the commenters with absolutely nothing to add. They leave intellect and proper grammar behind. All they bring is invective. You could be a former member of the armed services with combat experience critiquing Donald Rumsfeld. But to them, you're a peace-loving hippie bastard with a latte in one hand and a joint in the other.

No matter who you are or what you say, you somehow fit into their image of liberalism. Pounding square pegs into round holes their best skill, because their worldview has been so scrubbed, sanitized and simplified that even the most complex issues have been reduced to good/evil arguments. Against the war in Iraq? You're with the terrorists! Against racist solutions to illegal immigration? You're with the Mexican terrorists! Against anti-choice and anti-gay bigotry? You're with the female and gay terrorists! Against the terrorists? You're with the ... you're with the ... you're just an asshole, asshole!

If you're lucky, these temporary tough guys rarely metastasize into the third type of pest. Like a dope-sick junkie who can't resist any longer, relapsing trolls frequently fall off of the wagon and return to their old progressive haunts. There, they arrive to announce that, not only is Bush-era conservatism the answer, but also that the site's owner and liberal guests remain clueless, hopeless fools.

These once-blunt-force trolls love to bring a "There you go again …" mentality to any argument. What's important to remember, however, is that they're the ones returning to overused, underdeveloped points usually yanked directly from Rush Limbaugh's formerly nicotine-stained fingers. Poor people are lazy. Rich people are virtuous, hard workers. Free markets are the answer. Wow, I've never heard a Republican say those things before!

Let's not fool ourselves. If you're going to advocate for change, there are always going to be naysayers out there who will fight you, tooth-and-nail, to reverse that progress. Is it worth it to debate them? Sometimes, but remember to keep your eyes on the prize, not the cesspool from where your Republican friends are slinging mud. Besides, if what you're saying is having that kind of effect among right-wingers, you've got to be doing something right.

So, which type of trolls are your favorite?

Since the DU wants to claim and use the word Troll...let's start another word to define them and us!

Let me think a moment...ahh I have it: Conservatives are Adroit:shrewd,resourceful,deft,clever,cunning, and ingenious...from this day forward let conservatives be known as ....'ADROIT's'

Liberals are Addle:to throw into confusion,muddle,to become rotten....
Let it be known from this day forward let Liberals be Known as...'ADDLE's'

Let the ADDLE's have the word Troll it has become boring anyway!

roomy said:
Are you the nominated troll hunter?Have you taken it upon yourself to try to goad me into some kind of stupid response thereby revealing myself as a troll?Give it up sonny.I have posted around the world, you are no match.If you gave me 5 minutes you would no doubt get some kind of idea what sort of poster I am instead of showing yourself up to be an ignorant xenophobe(in a messageboard way). :beer:

Mr.P and a couple of others are way better than me...they have the gift of the 'Hound Dog'...I was just jousting with you...you became thin skinned and agitated when I use a little humor...not directed at you... :dunno: but you came out of the closet all by yourself...

As I read your post, Insein--particularly where the types of trolls were identified--the names of actual people who have participated, and still participate occasionally, on this board came to my mind. I imagine the post had the same effect on others who read it.

roomy said:
Diddums, I hope they don't give in as easily as you :wank:

sober up...come back with the five minute diatribe you promised earlier showing your superior debating skills! :cuckoo:

roomy said:
Give me the topic and the reason, bright spark. :lame2:

I would love to hear your take on (our) the US war on terror and how it relates to Iraq and possibly Iran...were we wrong and if so why? Should we take military action against Iran or let Israel take the forefront? Reason to see where you are comming from! ;)

roomy said:
If it will help you sleep safe tonight Sparky I will give you my stance.

[I sleep well with or without your comments-thank you very much]

Whatever the reasons, whys or wherefores i support our troops.They do an exceptional job under horrendous circumstances.I don't need to agree with the reasons, whys or wherefores.

[what reasons do you agree/disagree with?]

If all diplomatic means fail, blow the bastards up, don't send any more men to die, just blow them up.

[ so you believe Iraq and Iran are a threat to world security...are the bombs going to maintain peace without boots on the ground?]

Israel have my guilty conscience along with the rest of the civilised worlds guilty conscience.They have my support.We should stand alongside them.

[you have a guilty 'conscience' about what?...I have no guilty 'conscience' about Israel...however I also agree with you about our support of them]

roomy said:
The collective guilty conscience my fine friend all stems from the remembered 'Holocaust'.

My dad and many uncles fought in this war...we were not part of the Holocaust...thence no guilt here...however may dad and uncles were part of the relief from further atrocities...now please eloborate on my other questions! :)

roomy said:
If you feel no sorrow or remorse for past circumstance regardless of your involvement i offer you no solace or recompense.So i refuse to pander to you anymore, goodnight, ignoramous.

There is a hellava difference between feeling "sorrow" for a group whom was the victim of atrocities and feeling "Guilty" you used the word guilt earlier! And furthermore can you address a subject without calling names you are sounding more and more like a wannabee elitist....you are still avoiding the earlier questions posed....do you need to sober up or are you a liberal trying to gain confidence before the hammer drops?
:crutch:

roomy said:
You still persist, like a monkey with it's hand stuck in the coconut.

Get used to humiliation bonny lad(if you aren't already)because you have neither the intelligence or the wit to get rid of me.
remind me of your inane questions and i shall endevour to answer, I can't be bothered to trawl through your rubbish posts.

until you sober up...then you can show me your "world class" debating skills...so far I am truly embarrassed for you! :cof:
Who said anything about getting rid of you...more booze speaking?

roomy said:
I am drunk yet still I feel ashamed at the fact that I have taken the piss out of the village idiot, why is that so? :dunno:At the same time I am in kinks laughing at you.

Why not let this go change?You are in a no win situation.Win or lose you look like a fucking idiot, there I go again, stating the obvious.Anyhoo, I am about fed up with your saturday bullshit and shall respond to you no more on this day, maybe tomorrow bonny lad, when I am sober and can hold my own in intelligent debate with you :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

since your son gave you 16 rep points...you are entertaining though...have a nice night...take two aspirin and see the Doc in the morning! :cheers2:

This entire thread, other than the opening post, can be summed up in three words:

Good fucking grief.

Shattered said:
This entire thread, other than the opening post, can be summed up in three words:

Good fucking grief.

I know I should be ashamed jousting with someone under the influence... :eek:

but hey not much else was going on and he hit just about every topic thread in here....sorry :cof:

archangel said:
I know I should be ashamed jousting with someone under the influence... :eek:

but hey not much else was going on and he hit just about every topic thread in here....sorry :cof:

Why would you be ashamed when you're pretty much on even ground?

Redhots said:
Q: DU = Democratic Underground?

A: Yes. We are rather entertained by alot of what they say so some of keep tabs and check it out every once and a while. I believe a number of us have even been banned for politely disagreeing. I know wasnt banned, mostly because i barely posted. But I was suspected of being a Conservative just because I had the audacity to call President Bush President Bush instead of Shrub. Its rather sad when people suspect your for actually treating people with respect. I know I would have no problem here calling President Clinton President. Because sadly he was President. The guy might not deserve the respect, but the office does.

I've never been there, but I went for a quick look.

At least they're upfront about it.

In the rules section.

Who We Are: Democratic Underground is an online community for Democrats and other progressives. Members are expected to be generally supportive of progressive ideals, and to support Democratic candidates for political office. Democratic Underground is not affiliated with the Democratic Party, and comments posted here are not representative of the Democratic Party or its candidates.

Though this next one sort of flies in the face of that.

Content: Do not post messages that are inflammatory, extreme, divisive, incoherent, or otherwise inappropriate. Do not engage in anti-social, disruptive, or trolling behavior. Do not post broad-brush, bigoted statements. The moderators and administrators work very hard to enforce some minimal standards regarding what content is appropriate. But please remember that this is a large and diverse community that includes a broad range of opinion. People who are easily offended, or who are not accustomed to having their opinions (including deeply held personal convictions) challenged may not feel entirely comfortable here. A thick skin is necessary to participate on this or any other discussion forum.

:duh3:

Forum List

Back