Just a frindly Reminder to all...

archangel said:
My dad and many uncles fought in this war...we were not part of the Holocaust...thence no guilt here...however may dad and uncles were part of the relief from further atrocities...now please eloborate on my other questions! :)
I agree about individuals from US not having a part in holocaust, however the US and others were complicit in ways:

http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/article.php?lang=en&ModuleId=10005139

The Red Cross and the Church:

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache...o"&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=11&client=firefox-a

roomy said:
The collective guilty conscience my fine friend all stems from the remembered 'Holocaust'.

Apologista BS. Did YOU participate in the Holocaust? If not, what exactly is there to feel guilty about?

Our role at this point is to learn from history and not repeat the mistakes of our predeccesors. You know, like in Cambodia, Rwanda, and/or Darfur.

It is NOT to do penance for something that was done and gone long before most of us were born.

archangel said:
however I feel no guilt personally as the question was posed by roomy...why should I apologize for something I had absolutely nothing to do with?

Apology and guilt are not mutually exclusive. I think the language barrier between American English ad British English had something to do with this. Guilt can be felt whether you were involved or not. We should feel guilty for not seeing the Nazis for what they were in the beginning. when I see pictures of Auschwitz and Bergen Belson I feel guilty for not being around to help. Compassion is not a bad thing. You don't have to apologize, just keep the guilt in the back of your mind to remind you what they went through.

onthefence said:
Apology and guilt are not mutually exclusive. I think the language barrier between American English ad British English had something to do with this. Guilt can be felt whether you were involved or not. We should feel guilty for not seeing the Nazis for what they were in the beginning. when I see pictures of Auschwitz and Bergen Belson I feel guilty for not being around to help. Compassion is not a bad thing. You don't have to apologize, just keep the guilt in the back of your mind to remind you what they went through.

I can only relate to what I did or had a part in...in the case of the holocaust I was just a baby( no guilt)...As a grown man in combat when I pulled the trigger and the enemy fell I did feel guilt(having to take a life)...and it is always in the back of my mind...however I have no apology to give for self defense action! I'm a realist I base life on experience vs pshchological hypothesis!

archangel said:
however I feel no guilt personally as the question was posed by roomy...why should I apologize for something I had absolutely nothing to do with?
Apology not needed. For anything else, man's inhumanity to man? I doubt Christians really can see this kind of persecution, similar to the martyrs of Rome and not feel anguish. Perhaps different than guilt, but regret might be a better word. (Think Beatitudes)

Things could have been done, perhaps for hundeds, maybe thousands, but the 'civilized' world refused what could be done.

Kathianne said:
Apology not needed. For anything else, man's inhumanity to man? I doubt Christians really can see this kind of persecution, similar to the martyrs of Rome and not feel anguish. Perhaps different than guilt, but regret might be a better word.

Things could have been done, perhaps for hundeds, maybe thousands, but the 'civilized' world refused what could be done.

You are right, anguish would be a better word than guilt.

One, the troll resorts to name-calling and baseless assertions, despite the fact they at first appeared to be "above the fray". Then, when confronted, they disappear completely without a peep. Or two, when confronted, they post one last jeremiad about how there's too much negativity on the site and they're leaving, because they've got better things to do. Only they brought the negativity. Only they don't have better things to do. They've decided to stop slumming and, I'm guessing, return to the Algonquin Round Table from whence they came.

DU dissenters are banned, immediately. No saying good bye, nothing. :laugh:

Said1 said:
DU dissenters are banned, immediately. No saying good bye, nothing. :laugh:
Tis the truth. I've yet to register there, saving it for an election time, but I read and it's 'adios.' We now, we're like my principal, lots of threats, but let them keep coming back. Then again, we like dissension. (BTW, English is a very difficult language, this is a form of dissent, so we drop the t and add -sion :laugh: ).

Kathianne said:
Tis the truth. I've yet to register there, saving it for an election time, but I read and it's 'adios.' We now, we're like my principal, lots of threats, but let them keep coming back. Then again, we like dissension. (BTW, English is a very difficult language, this is a form of dissent, so we drop the t and add -sion :laugh: ).

At first, I thought you were making fun of my spelling. :laugh:

Said1 said:
At first, I thought you were making fun of my spelling. :laugh:

Not at all! :laugh: I just typed 'dissension', then overthought it, checked it with dictionary.com.

Kathianne said:
Not at all! :laugh: I just typed 'dissension', then overthought it, checked it with dictionary.com.

funnysmilie.gif

Forum List

Back