Judging Obama's Handling of the Budget and the Economy Fairly

OBAMA voted for all of them. Obama was a U.S. Senator in 2008, remember? He voted for all of the huge spending hikes that Bush opposed

List them liar.

Ha! You're saying that Obama voted differently than all of his fellow Democratic Senators on those spending measures? Really?

Anyway, I guess it's not enough for you that I freely acknowledge that Obama did a better job with the economy than Bush did.

He didn't. But you idiots keep saying W was responsible for 2001 which was Clinton's budget, W was responsible for the entire eight year Obama term and then Trump became responsible the day he took office so Obama wasn't ever responsible for anything

Bullshit.

Bush blew up the budget with tax-cuts, unpaid-for wars and Medicaid part B.

That’s without blaming him for Great Recession.

So medicare part D that was signed in 2003 and tax cuts in June, 2001 caused a recession that started in March, 2001. Got it.

Well, you're clear what you are

wtf are you smoking? Where did I blame Bush for 2001 recession?

Niether Bush nor Clinton caused Corporate scandals and .COM bust. DUH

See, that's why leftists are so disappointing. You suddenly get that W was responsible for 2009. He was. You're right.

But then Clinton is responsible for nothing in 2001, Obama is responsible for nothing in 2017. You're just pathetic hypocrites. Democrats are responsible for nothing ever. You're mindless partisan shills.

And to be clear, I am not. YES, W was responsible for 2009. He was. It was his budget
In that case are you also giving Obama credit for 2017?

Yes. He was responsible for the no great shakes economy of 2017. Trump had little to do with it.

Slowest recovery from a recession since the Great Depression

If one is to credit any politician, one must point to actions taken to achieve such results. I didn't see that under DumBama.

For most of it, he happened to be at the right place at the right time. Spending? That's a congressional issue more than a presidential one. Economy? That had to do with the fed reserve pumping fake money into the market. I don't know if I can credit Obama with that one. And if the economy was doing so great, why did the interest rate remain 0% or near 0% throughout most of his two terms? That didn't start going up until after the lowering price of fuel which again, DumBama had nothing to do with. Lower cost fuel was the result of our success in Fracking which Obama and the Democrats have always hated. Everybody in America got a raise because of it. More money in our pockets means more spending.

Yes, I am a bias blogger, but I'll give anybody credit when credit is deserved. Somebody show me direct actions that caused direct results under DumBama. For instance now the left is claiming our economical success is because of Obama. What? It's a year and a half later. I can point to actions taken by Trump and the Republicans to give them credit today. Lowering taxes, rescinding regulations on businesses, getting rid of Commie Care are just a few things that encouraged growth in corporations and industry.
Nothing makes me laugh as much as lefties claiming Obama set the stage for what’s going on today. Staggering economy bringing about lousy GDP, high unemployment, etc., etc. And what did we get from team Obama? Reminders of all the good things they’re doing that are shortly gonna pay dividends and help make America great again? Hell no because they had nothing. Instead we were advised to get used to the new norm. The world’s changing and nothing the U S can do to change a thing.
Please show the stats you are using for the unemployment change under Obama.

OBAMA voted for all of them. Obama was a U.S. Senator in 2008, remember? He voted for all of the huge spending hikes that Bush opposed

List them liar.

Ha! You're saying that Obama voted differently than all of his fellow Democratic Senators on those spending measures? Really?

Anyway, I guess it's not enough for you that I freely acknowledge that Obama did a better job with the economy than Bush did.

I'm saying you are full of shit and can't support your assertions.

And it's not about a D being better than R, it's about facts.

Obama's handling of the budget and the economy was not as bad as most conservatives believe it was, and it is not as good as most liberals claim it was. Some points:

* True, Obama jacked up spending in his first year, but he actually imposed a net cut on spending the following year (2010), before sequestration was even debated, and he held spending to virtually flat-lined levels through 2015 (US Federal Spending Analysis - Charts Tables History). Yes, the spending restraint from 2012 through 2015 was because of the sequester, but Obama agreed to the sequester--he could have vetoed it, but he did not.

* In connection with the above, Obama increased the national debt by a much smaller percentage than Bush did. Bush increased the debt by 101%. Obama increased it by 68%, one-third less than Bush.

* During Obama's 8 years, 17 million new jobs were created, a 12.8% increase, which far surpasses Bush's record on job creation (Which President Created the Most Jobs?).

* Under Obama, we had 74 consecutive months of job growth, from October 2010 to December 2016 (Bureau of Labor Statistics Data).

* The biggest chunk of Obama's much-maligned stimulus packet was devoted to tax cuts. Of the $787 billion, $288 billion was for tax cuts. Another $275 billion was for job creation via federal contracts, grants, and loans.

* Obama signed numerous tax-cut measures, both for individuals and for small businesses. He also made most of the Bush tax cuts permanent, against the advice of many liberal economists. Some of his other tax cuts included the following:

In 2010, President Obama signed an $858 billion tax cut deal. It extended the Bush tax cuts through 2012 and unemployment benefits through 2011. It cut payroll taxes by 2 percent, adding $120 million to workers' spendable income. It extended a college tuition tax credit. It also included $55 billion in industry-specific tax cuts. (https://www.thebalance.com/obama-tax-cuts-3306330; see also https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/issues/taxes;
(https://www.cnbc.com/id/49261153; Obama Proposes Extending Small Business Tax Cuts Permanently | Andersen CPA Firm)​

* A typical family making $50,000 a year received tax cuts totaling $3,600 in President Obama’s first term, more if they were putting a child through college.

* Improvements to the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit (CTC), enacted in 2009 under Obama and later made permanent provided roughly 16 million working families a year with a tax cut of about $900 on average.

* The 2015 budget deal lifted the sequester's caps but it also contained well over $600 billion in tax cuts/tax breaks and lifted the ban on oil exports.

Of course, there were some black marks. We actually lost manufacturing jobs under Obama, although the loss was relatively small--we went from 12,561,000 manufacturing jobs in January 2009 to 12,369,000 in January 2017. Another problem was that the stock market's growth was somewhat weak. Over-regulation was a drag on many business sectors. A sizable number of the new jobs that were created were modest-income jobs and part-time jobs, but the majority were good jobs. The U-6 rate, aka the "real unemployment rate," stayed unusually high for most of Obama's presidency. Obamacare caused many companies to change full-time positions to part-time positions to avoid having to offer health insurance.

On balance, Obama did a better of dealing with the budget and the economy than most conservatives give him credit for.
Obama was an epic skid mark on the history of this country. I expected more from the first black POTUS

-Geaux

And what did we get from team Obama? Reminders of all the good things they’re doing that are shortly gonna pay dividends and help make America great again? Hell no because they had nothing. Instead we were advised to get used to the new norm.
All you mindless drones parrot the same LIES!
As you lying scum well know, Obama WARNED AGAINST getting used to a new norm!!!!!!!

Bullshit.

Bush blew up the budget with tax-cuts, unpaid-for wars and Medicaid part B.

That’s without blaming him for Great Recession.

So medicare part D that was signed in 2003 and tax cuts in June, 2001 caused a recession that started in March, 2001. Got it.

See, that's why leftists are so disappointing. You suddenly get that W was responsible for 2009. He was. You're right.

But then Clinton is responsible for nothing in 2001, Obama is responsible for nothing in 2017. You're just pathetic hypocrites. Democrats are responsible for nothing ever. You're mindless partisan shills.

And to be clear, I am not. YES, W was responsible for 2009. He was. It was his budget

AYes. He was responsible for the no great shakes economy of 2017. Trump had little to do with it.

Trump spent most of last year boasting about and taking credit for the great economy. Were you not listening? I believe stock market and unemployment were amoungst to top of his brags.

AYes. He was responsible for the no great shakes economy of 2017. Trump had little to do with it.

Trump spent most of last year boasting about and taking credit for the great economy. Were you not listening? I believe stock market and unemployment were amoungst to top of his brags.

Ah, I get it now. You're an idiot.

The economy is backward looking. I specifically said THE ECONOMY.

The stock market is FORWARD looking. They are entirely different things. My God you're stupid.

The market liked what Trump was doing and went up immediately before the benefits were actually realized. That's what they do. The economy was still slow in 2017 just like it was all through Obama's reign

To whatever mod chastised me for being bad.

If you delete my post and don't have the balls to tell me who you are. How am I supposed to read it again and realize how bad I am for posting it like you told me to when I don't know what post you're talking about and can't ask you because you didn't tell me who you are???

The stock market is FORWARD looking. They are entirely different things. My God you're stupid
Is unemployment forward or backward looking? You conveniently forgot about that point

The stock market is FORWARD looking. They are entirely different things. My God you're stupid
Is unemployment forward or backward looking? You conveniently forgot about that point

Got it. I'm supposed to address every economic indicator.

Forward looking. Unemployment is with the stock market. Companies hire to staff projects based the profits they will make for the project going forward, not what they would have made looking back

Forward looking. Unemployment is with the stock market. Companies hire to staff projects based the profits they will make for the project going forward, not what they would have made looking back
So as Trump boasted about hitting these unemployment milestones you are seriously going to say that he deserves credit because of forward thinking speculation by companies who ran out and hired a bunch of people? Can you show stats to back that up? I’d love to see the Trump surge in hiring that sets him apart from Obama’s progress. Please show us

Great, so you’re an idiot as well as a kazzer. No shock there.

Unemployment is actually a lagging indicator of the economy...

List of 16 Major Leading & Lagging Economic Indicators

Not only did Obama do a good job on the economy--not a great job, but a good one--but he also did a great job for veterans. Unlike his predecessors, Obama supported and signed concurrent receipt for veterans with high disability ratings. This was a great and long-overdue change. This vastly increased the total pensions that wounded veterans receive.

I disagree with 70% of everything Obama did, and I obviously never voted for him, but in certain areas--especially the economy and veterans--he did a good job.

Obama's handling of the budget and the economy was not as bad as most conservatives believe it was, and it is not as good as most liberals claim it was. Some points:

* True, Obama jacked up spending in his first year, but he actually imposed a net cut on spending the following year (2010), before sequestration was even debated, and he held spending to virtually flat-lined levels through 2015 (US Federal Spending Analysis - Charts Tables History). Yes, the spending restraint from 2012 through 2015 was because of the sequester, but Obama agreed to the sequester--he could have vetoed it, but he did not.

* In connection with the above, Obama increased the national debt by a much smaller percentage than Bush did. Bush increased the debt by 101%. Obama increased it by 68%, one-third less than Bush.

* During Obama's 8 years, 17 million new jobs were created, a 12.8% increase, which far surpasses Bush's record on job creation (Which President Created the Most Jobs?).

* Under Obama, we had 74 consecutive months of job growth, from October 2010 to December 2016 (Bureau of Labor Statistics Data).

* The biggest chunk of Obama's much-maligned stimulus packet was devoted to tax cuts. Of the $787 billion, $288 billion was for tax cuts. Another $275 billion was for job creation via federal contracts, grants, and loans.

* Obama signed numerous tax-cut measures, both for individuals and for small businesses. He also made most of the Bush tax cuts permanent, against the advice of many liberal economists. Some of his other tax cuts included the following:

In 2010, President Obama signed an $858 billion tax cut deal. It extended the Bush tax cuts through 2012 and unemployment benefits through 2011. It cut payroll taxes by 2 percent, adding $120 million to workers' spendable income. It extended a college tuition tax credit. It also included $55 billion in industry-specific tax cuts. (https://www.thebalance.com/obama-tax-cuts-3306330; see also https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/issues/taxes;
(https://www.cnbc.com/id/49261153; Obama Proposes Extending Small Business Tax Cuts Permanently | Andersen CPA Firm)​

* A typical family making $50,000 a year received tax cuts totaling $3,600 in President Obama’s first term, more if they were putting a child through college.

* Improvements to the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit (CTC), enacted in 2009 under Obama and later made permanent provided roughly 16 million working families a year with a tax cut of about $900 on average.

* The 2015 budget deal lifted the sequester's caps but it also contained well over $600 billion in tax cuts/tax breaks and lifted the ban on oil exports.

Of course, there were some black marks. We actually lost manufacturing jobs under Obama, although the loss was relatively small--we went from 12,561,000 manufacturing jobs in January 2009 to 12,369,000 in January 2017. Another problem was that the stock market's growth was somewhat weak. Over-regulation was a drag on many business sectors. A sizable number of the new jobs that were created were modest-income jobs and part-time jobs, but the majority were good jobs. The U-6 rate, aka the "real unemployment rate," stayed unusually high for most of Obama's presidency. Obamacare caused many companies to change full-time positions to part-time positions to avoid having to offer health insurance.

On balance, Obama did a better of dealing with the budget and the economy than most conservatives give him credit for.
Obama was an epic skid mark on the history of this country. I expected more from the first black POTUS

-Geaux

Lots of us in Chicago expected very little from him......again.
He kinda delivered.....again.

-Geaux

He made the vast majority of the Bush tax cuts permanent, against the advice of most liberal economists. He nixed a huge batch of draconian environmental regulations, much to the extreme disappointment of radical eco warriors. The 2015 budget deal that he signed infuriated the far left and certainly contributed to the good economic numbers in 2016.

I disagreed with most of Obamacare, but I agree with expanding Medicaid to cover more people who otherwise can't afford health insurance. I would, however, like to see states given more flexibility in how they handle Medicaid.

And, Obama conducted himself with class and decorum as president, and I think Michelle Obama was a fine First Lady.

-Geaux

He made the vast majority of the Bush tax cuts permanent, against the advice of most liberal economists. He nixed a huge batch of draconian environmental regulations, much to the extreme disappointment of radical eco warriors. The 2015 budget deal that he signed infuriated the far left and certainly contributed to the good economic numbers in 2016.

I disagreed with most of Obamacare, but I agree with expanding Medicaid to cover more people who otherwise can't afford health insurance. I would, however, like to see states given more flexibility in how they handle Medicaid.

And, Obama conducted himself with class and decorum as president, and I think Michelle Obama was a fine First Lady.
He made the vast majority of the Bush tax cuts permanent, against the advice of most liberal economists.

Yeah, imagine how much worse he would have been if the American people in 2010 hadn't given the Republicans 6 Senate seats and booted 63 (holy shit!!) Dems in the House....

He nixed a huge batch of draconian environmental regulations,

Like what?

And, Obama conducted himself with class and decorum as president

Set back race relations decades.
Should have stuck his apology tour all the way up his ass.

So as Trump boasted about hitting these unemployment milestones you are seriously going to say that he deserves credit because of forward thinking speculation by companies who ran out and hired a bunch of people? Can you show stats to back that up? I’d love to see the Trump surge in hiring that sets him apart from Obama’s progress. Please show us

I said companies look forward with hiring. The rest is your paranoid delusions

-Geaux

I guess you forgot that after he extended Bush's tax cuts, he also increased taxes on anybody making over 450K a year. He also increased taxes on corporations. One of the first things he did when he invaded the White House was increase tobacco taxes to fund SCHP's which has absolutely nothing to do with cigarettes.

What environmental regulations did he "nix?" What he tried to do is close down power plants and force remaining ones open to invest millions in clean coal technology.

The economic numbers of 2016 were due to the huge reduction in fuel costs thanks to fracking. People and families were saving hundreds of dollars a month between natural gas and gasoline. This was a nationwide savings for every single American adult not to mention US businesses.

Commie Care's only intent was to create more new government dependents. According to the Obama White House, they proudly announced they created over 20 million more government dependents. This is on top of the 20 million they created with Food Stamps. It's design was to give lower income people affordable insurance while the rest of us were unable to afford it because we didn't get a government subsidy--or very little of one.

I said companies look forward with hiring. The rest is your paranoid delusions
Where are your numbers Kaz? Show how Trump changed the game when it comes to unemployment

Forum List

Back