John Stossel and PLYMCO_PILGRIM agree on Christmas

I wouldn't go thinking it's the norm. I don't mind when people say merry christmas. I love looking at Christmas decorations. And if I know someone celebrates Christmas, I have no problem wishing them a 'merry christmas'. (I even spend christmas day every year with my cousin and her family who do celebrate the holiday. but to me, someone wishing me a merry christmas, while pleasant enough, also means the person is oblivious to the fact that not everyone celebrates their holiday. I would think you'd find it strange if I ran around saying "Happy Chanukah" to Christians or Muslims, no?

I like it when jewish people wish me a happy Chanukah, it makes me feel like they are extending their belief system to me and trying to include me in their celebration. Then Again I like it when people wish me a merry christmas too so I may be a bad example.

I appreciate the sentiments behind any good wishes. I am not in the least offended when other religions include me in their celebrations. I have, in fact, celebrated a vareity of religious festivals with friends of various religions.

I include them, and they include me. What on earth is the problem? The only ones who have a problem, I think, are those that are offended by religion or seek to make political capital out of it. Personally, I think deliberately stirring descent between religions for political means is distasteful.

Bullseye!

I like it when jewish people wish me a happy Chanukah, it makes me feel like they are extending their belief system to me and trying to include me in their celebration. Then Again I like it when people wish me a merry christmas too so I may be a bad example.

Bill-O starts this crap every year...

MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM THE ACLU (?!!!)
Fighting a Fictional War on Christmas

Every year at about this time, the ACLU begins receiving scores of Christmas cards, generally unsigned, almost always without return addresses. Many are simple and nice. But some call on us to have a "Merry Christmas--whether you like it or not!" and similar not-in-the-spirit-of-the-season wishes.

We welcome all cards and well wishes! Many of our staff members are practicing Christians and celebrate a religious Christmas. Also, our organization was founded to protect, among other liberties, the free exercise of religion. Although some claim that the ACLU is anti-Christian, the truth is quite the opposite: the ACLU has always stood up for the rights of all of us to practice our religion freely, including Christians.

Some members of the public may be surprised or confused by this. It is no wonder, given the misinformation out there.

An example: A few Decembers ago, a group called Public Advocate for the United States (self-described "defenders of America's traditional family values") sent some Christmas carolers over to sing in front of the ACLU offices in Washington, D.C.

They carried signs reading "Merry Christmas" and "Please Don't Sue Us!", assuming, it would seem, that they would be met with a hostile response.

To the contrary, it was with some excitement that the staff went outside and joined in the singing and brought cookies and warm drinks--as is traditional--to share with the carolers. In the Fox News broadcast of the event, however, there were close-ups of the Public Advocate carolers, but no footage of the ACLU participants. The story was broadcast on Fox's segment, "War Against Christmas," and the only mention of the ACLU was the anchor intoning, "We believe the ACLU heard the message loud and clear, but they don't care."

Sadly, the non-existent "War on Christmas" is in reality a cynical rallying cry for some fringe groups seeking attention.

In a Salon interview ("How the secular humanist grinch didn't steal Christmas"), Chip Berlet, a senior analyst at Political Research Associates, "one of the foremost experts on the religious right," says, "You have a dynamic here, where you have the Christian right hysterically overrepresenting the problem, and then anecdotally you have some towns where lawyers restrict any kind of display or representation of religion, which is equally absurd. It's a closed loop. In that dynamic, neither the secular humanists or the ACLU are playing a role."

In other words, the extremist groups have invented their own nightmare, and then feed off its effects.

Of course, meaningful freedom of religion is possible only because of a separation between government and religion. So, this Christmas, we ask those who wish a war in the name of Christmas to put down arms. Instead, why not take up these few simple guidelines for respecting the interdependent principles of freedom of religion and separation of church and state:

* Christmas displays, including nativity scenes, are perfectly acceptable at homes and churches. This religious expression is a valued and protected part of the First Amendment rights guaranteed to all citizens.

* Governments should not be in the business of endorsing religious displays. Religion thrives best when government stays out of deciding which holidays and religions to promote. Religion belongs where it prospers best: with individuals, families, and religious communities.

Lastly, as a seasonal greeting to all Christians: Merry Christmas from the ACLU! And for nonbelievers and believers in all other traditions: Thank you for enriching our world!

http://www.aclusandiego.org/news_item.php?article_id=000331

No he doesn't the asshats who put NO GOD on the buses start it O'Reilly just reports on it.. How hard is it for people to understand that DEC 25 comes every year? Christians celebrate the birth of one Jesus Christ a Jew, born the son of God in a manger. So the folks who put NO GOD on the buses every freaking season are indeed looking for a fucking fight. So go blow that smoke up someone else's ass whydonchya?

So would you take away their right to put their no god sign on a bus? do you think the sign posters are a significant portion of the population?

festivus.jpg

Every year at about this time, the ACLU begins receiving scores of Christmas cards, generally unsigned, almost always without return addresses. Many are simple and nice. But some call on us to have a "Merry Christmas--whether you like it or not!" and similar not-in-the-spirit-of-the-season wishes.

We welcome all cards and well wishes! Many of our staff members are practicing Christians and celebrate a religious Christmas. Also, our organization was founded to protect, among other liberties, the free exercise of religion. Although some claim that the ACLU is anti-Christian, the truth is quite the opposite: the ACLU has always stood up for the rights of all of us to practice our religion freely, including Christians.

Some members of the public may be surprised or confused by this. It is no wonder, given the misinformation out there.

An example: A few Decembers ago, a group called Public Advocate for the United States (self-described "defenders of America's traditional family values") sent some Christmas carolers over to sing in front of the ACLU offices in Washington, D.C.

They carried signs reading "Merry Christmas" and "Please Don't Sue Us!", assuming, it would seem, that they would be met with a hostile response.

To the contrary, it was with some excitement that the staff went outside and joined in the singing and brought cookies and warm drinks--as is traditional--to share with the carolers. In the Fox News broadcast of the event, however, there were close-ups of the Public Advocate carolers, but no footage of the ACLU participants. The story was broadcast on Fox's segment, "War Against Christmas," and the only mention of the ACLU was the anchor intoning, "We believe the ACLU heard the message loud and clear, but they don't care."

Sadly, the non-existent "War on Christmas" is in reality a cynical rallying cry for some fringe groups seeking attention.

In a Salon interview ("How the secular humanist grinch didn't steal Christmas"), Chip Berlet, a senior analyst at Political Research Associates, "one of the foremost experts on the religious right," says, "You have a dynamic here, where you have the Christian right hysterically overrepresenting the problem, and then anecdotally you have some towns where lawyers restrict any kind of display or representation of religion, which is equally absurd. It's a closed loop. In that dynamic, neither the secular humanists or the ACLU are playing a role."

In other words, the extremist groups have invented their own nightmare, and then feed off its effects.

Of course, meaningful freedom of religion is possible only because of a separation between government and religion. So, this Christmas, we ask those who wish a war in the name of Christmas to put down arms. Instead, why not take up these few simple guidelines for respecting the interdependent principles of freedom of religion and separation of church and state:

* Christmas displays, including nativity scenes, are perfectly acceptable at homes and churches. This religious expression is a valued and protected part of the First Amendment rights guaranteed to all citizens.

* Governments should not be in the business of endorsing religious displays. Religion thrives best when government stays out of deciding which holidays and religions to promote. Religion belongs where it prospers best: with individuals, families, and religious communities.

Lastly, as a seasonal greeting to all Christians: Merry Christmas from the ACLU! And for nonbelievers and believers in all other traditions: Thank you for enriching our world!

No he doesn't the asshats who put NO GOD on the buses start it O'Reilly just reports on it.. How hard is it for people to understand that DEC 25 comes every year? Christians celebrate the birth of one Jesus Christ a Jew, born the son of God in a manger. So the folks who put NO GOD on the buses every freaking season are indeed looking for a fucking fight. So go blow that smoke up someone else's ass whydonchya?

So would you take away their right to put their no god sign on a bus? do you think the sign posters are a significant portion of the population?

And you would allow a small group to take away the right of a business owner to have their policy be to say 'Merry Christmas' to their customers? I don't see the difference.

And you would allow a small group to take away the right of a business owner to have their policy be to say 'Merry Christmas' to their customers? I don't see the difference.

Can you provide any documentation of a single company being told that they are forbidden from saying Merry Christmas to their customers?

What small group is taking away that right? where are business owners forbidden to do such, please provide links pointing to the law that removes the right of business owners to say Merry Christmas in their place of business.

If you both read my post carefully, I said 'you would allow...', I made no assertions that there was any current law whatsoever, just as the person you quoted made no assertions that any group should not be allowed to advertise whatever they wish on the side of a bus. Getting your fiber with straw this morning, are you?

If you both read my post carefully, I said 'you would allow...', I made no assertions that there was any current law whatsoever, just as the person you quoted made no assertions that any group should not be allowed to advertise whatever they wish on the side of a bus. Getting your fiber with straw this morning, are you?

but there is no small group taking away that right, when you build a house of straw you get straw back.

but there is no small group taking away that right, when you build a house of straw you get straw back.

Again, I never said there was, I simply said that you would allow it if it agreed with your political outlook or agenda, not caring a whim for anyone's 'rights', you only care for rights whenever it happens to agree with your bent outlook.

Again, I never said there was, I simply said that you would allow it if it agreed with your political outlook or agenda, not caring a whim for anyone's 'rights', you only care for rights whenever it happens to agree with your bent outlook.

Who is the ugly chick in your avie?

HORSE SHIT:lol::lol::lol: You spin like a broken top, what a load of crap.:lol::lol::lol:

HORSE SHIT:lol::lol::lol: You spin like a broken top, what a load of crap.:lol::lol::lol:

My posts are here for all to see, read, and comprehend. It's really not that hard.

Who is the ugly chick in your avie?

Are you a racist?

I appreciate being included as well. And wish merry christmas to people. But I think the fuss on this issue is about retail establishments. And in that regard, I want them to respect that there's more than one holiday. It's not really that complicated. The holiday season is great... but this silliness about being militant in saying "merry christmas" seems silly to me.

I firmly believe no one in the government has a right to tell a retailer if they can or can not say merry christmas.

Its like stossel said "But that's the beauty of the free market. If you don't like their presentation — some of these companies are more sensitive about wanting to appeal to non-Christians — the market will sort it out. If you don't like it, you won't go there. If enough people don't like it, they'll lose business and probably change their policy."

And that works both ways, if a store says merry christmas and enough people dislike it so much they dont shop there that store will change its policy.

Its up to the store owners in the end, in my opinion.

not what I said asshat! don't blame it on Bill O'Reilly, blame it on the asshole who put up the NO GOD signs every year at Christmas. They have 364 other days they could put it up, but they choose Christmas. Clearly their intention is to spark a war on Christmas.

This just is more proof how pointless O'Reilly is.

Who gives a flying motherfuck if a company says "Merry Christmas"???

Do you really think that someone who wants a great deal on a new TV and finds it for $100 less at Best Buy...but then upon checking out, the cashier says "Happy Holidays"...is there ANYONE who would void the transaction and walk out of the store?

If that person exists...they are a perfect person to watch O'Reilly.

I would and have.

My posts are here for all to see, read, and comprehend. It's really not that hard.

and everyone can see how you weaseled out of your original sentiment.

not what I said asshat! don't blame it on Bill O'Reilly, blame it on the asshole who put up the NO GOD signs every year at Christmas. They have 364 other days they could put it up, but they choose Christmas. Clearly their intention is to spark a war on Christmas.

so who's shooting at who in this christmas war lady einstein?:lol::lol::lol:

Forum List

Back