John Stossel and PLYMCO_PILGRIM agree on Christmas

I worked five Christmas's at Kmart, we don't give a shit what you say back.
And if you make a big deal about it we think you are an idiot not because we are trying to be PC but because you one of many who make similar stupid comments.
Instead of giving a sale's clerk who has had to deal with stupid ass people all day long a bad time, why don't you just buy your shit say Merry Christmas or whatever the fuck you want and leave. For one most of the time when you are a checker you are in the zone and are not really listening to the moron in your line anyways.

You have made me feel bad. :( I think what you are saying is kind of what bothers me these days. I realize that it is tough on cashiers. Hard work, fairly long hours, low pay, for many it is a second job etc. etc. etc. I know all that, but that is what is wrong with this country now. We don't want to be bothered anymore.

But what you say, is kind of what bothers me now.

First, I don't give them a hard time. I always try to be "of good cheer".

Second, I said this earlier in the thread, what bothers me is that so many cashiers don't even smile anymore. I try to be polite. Typically I will wish them "Happy Holidays" because it tends to cover the gambit of religions and if they are not religious most realize you are not trying to be rude, just friendly. If they are wearing something that indicates Christmas, ie red and green colors tend to set it off, I will say Merry Christmas.

Three, what I miss though is just the friendly holiday cheer. I'm not blaming the cashiers themselves, but it just seems that the stress has taken over. A good cashiers... meaning one that is friendly (regardless of the time of the year) can bring customers back to the store. All that it takes is a smile and a "Thank you" or a "Happy Holidays".

Since I moved to Florida 16 years ago, that seems to have disappeared. Is it just Florida? The PC Crowd? The companies themselves? Fear of offending the customer? Me getting old?... no not that! I don't know what it is, but, in California there was Christmas music in the stores, smiles on cashier's faces and a hearty Merry Christmas to just about every customer. Here it is "What the hell are you here for? Get the hell out of my store and don't come back."

When did it become a crime to be joyous? I am getting old! I miss the good ole days.

Immie

What the heck part of Florida are you in? Miami?

Nope... Tampa.

Immie

And if you make a big deal about it we think you are an idiot not because we are trying to be PC but because you one of many who make similar stupid comments.
Instead of giving a sale's clerk who has had to deal with stupid ass people all day long a bad time, why don't you just buy your shit say Merry Christmas or whatever the fuck you want and leave. For one most of the time when you are a checker you are in the zone and are not really listening to the moron in your line anyways.

You have made me feel bad. :( I think what you are saying is kind of what bothers me these days. I realize that it is tough on cashiers. Hard work, fairly long hours, low pay, for many it is a second job etc. etc. etc. I know all that, but that is what is wrong with this country now. We don't want to be bothered anymore.

Second, I said this earlier in the thread, what bothers me is that so many cashiers don't even smile anymore. I try to be polite. Typically I will wish them "Happy Holidays" because it tends to cover the gambit of religions and if they are not religious most realize you are not trying to be rude, just friendly. If they are wearing something that indicates Christmas, ie red and green colors tend to set it off, I will say Merry Christmas.

Three, what I miss though is just the friendly holiday cheer. I'm not blaming the cashiers themselves, but it just seems that the stress has taken over. A good cashiers... meaning one that is friendly (regardless of the time of the year) can bring customers back to the store. All that it takes is a smile and a "Thank you" or a "Happy Holidays".

Since I moved to Florida 16 years ago, that seems to have disappeared. Is it just Florida? The PC Crowd? The companies themselves? Fear of offending the customer? Me getting old?... no not that! I don't know what it is, but, in California there was Christmas music in the stores, smiles on cashier's faces and a hearty Merry Christmas to just about every customer. Here it is "What the hell are you here for? Get the hell out of my store and don't come back."

When did it become a crime to be joyous? I am getting old! I miss the good ole days.

Immie
When I worked there at Christmas it was easy to tell you was celebrating the Christmas plus I live in a very white christian some conservative town so it isn't hard to figure it out, I would usually say something like " Have a good Christmas" and we were never told to say one thing over another. I always tried to be friendly because like you said during Christmas you have to work long hours and there is no point in being in bad mood all day. If they looked like a grump or a non Christmas person I would just tell them to have a good day.
I do have to say Christmas Eve I hardly ever came across rude people, yeah they were always in a hurry but customers are usually pretty friendly.
The week after Christmas is a whole other story.:lol:

Immie
When I worked there at Christmas it was easy to tell you was celebrating the Christmas plus I live in a very white christian some conservative town so it isn't hard to figure it out, I would usually say something like " Have a good Christmas" and we were never told to say one thing over another. I always tried to be friendly because like you said during Christmas you have to work long hours and there is no point in being in bad mood all day. If they looked like a grump or a non Christmas person I would just tell them to have a good day.
I do have to say Christmas Eve I hardly ever came across rude people, yeah they were always in a hurry but customers are usually pretty friendly.

I would have thought the day after Thanksgiving would be the worst.

I have no problem with cashiers saying, "Happy Holidays" as long as they say it like they mean it. With a smile! :D

What would bother me would be if a store forbid employees from saying "Merry Christmas". It seems pretty easy to tell who is Christmas shopping and who isn't, so saying "Merry Christmas" to the Christmas shoppers doesn't seem all that bad of a thing and quite truthfully, I can't imagine even the grumpiest of atheists getting upset because a pretty young lady at the cash register said, "Merry Christmas".

Immie

Immie

I would have thought the day after Thanksgiving would be the worst.

I have no problem with cashiers saying, "Happy Holidays" as long as they say it like they mean it. With a smile! :D

What would bother me would be if a store forbid employees from saying "Merry Christmas". It seems pretty easy to tell who is Christmas shopping and who isn't, so saying "Merry Christmas" to the Christmas shoppers doesn't seem all that bad of a thing and quite truthfully, I can't imagine even the grumpiest of atheists getting upset because a pretty young lady at the cash register said, "Merry Christmas".

Immie
I don't think I have ever had anyone who got upset if I told them to have a good Christmas or whatever.
I do have to say one thing I gained from working there is I am always friendly to customer service workers. A few months ago I was hung over and got some McDonald breakfast because it is the cure all and they messed up my order. I went into the restratraunt all pissed off and was of course helped by a girl who had not taken care of my order. I was two seconds from going off when I remembered that it wasn't her fault. People really need to remember that when something goes wrong at a store and people really need to treat each other with more respect.

He said that it's up to the business to decide if they want employees to say "Merry Christmas" or not.

And he's right....Again.

He also said that businesses have a right to tell their employees they can't say Merry Christmas even though that's why they're selling the stuff.

He obviously believes as some of you do, that employees should have NO rights. He even said that if the employers wanted them to they should stand on their heads.....good grief....this country is getting worse day by day.

Forum List

Back