Jobless Rate Rises to 9.9 Percent.

I thought we were out of the recession and everything was looking up????

Can you imagine how bad Bush would be getting hammered right now if the unemployment rate was still this high.... It has been downhill ever since the Democrats took control of Congress... and Obama's policies obviously aren't making it any better.

Jobs up 290,000; jobless rate rises to 9.9 pct. - Yahoo! Finance
Read your own article. This is not bad news.
"The unemployment rate rose from 9.7 percent in March to 9.9 percent in April, mainly because 805,000 jobseekers -- perhaps feeling better about their prospects -- resumed their searches for work. "More confident employers stepped up job creation in April, expanding payrolls by 290,000, the most in four years."

The unemployment rate is based on the number seeking jobs and does not include those not seeking work. You pulled the wrong article to support your claim.

Read my post above yours. It's spin.

The U6 Rate increased from 16.9% to 17.1% - Unemployment is rising faster than Employment.

Wait a minute!!!! I thought if we went a gazillion dollars into debt the unemployment rate was going to top at 8%!!!! WTF?????

I've been lied to!!!

Considering that a year ago we were losing 650,000 jobs a month, gaining 290,000 after gaining 62,000 last month shows progress on the job front.

There are still millions of jobs that need to be added to the economy.

Well, that's one way to spin it. I guess everything is fine now.

Can you imagine how bad Bush would be getting hammered right now if the unemployment rate was still this high.... It has been downhill ever since the Democrats took control of Congress... and Obama's policies obviously aren't making it any better.

___

You are quite correct - people tend to forget the Democrats have controlled the purse strings for over four years now - the very same time period when the economy tanked, and then became progressively worse.

Of course, never mind that jobs growth under GWB was 6.5% average....

___

Yup - the Bush economy was actually relatively strong, particularly given the impacts of a first term recession and 9-11, etc.

Where he screwed up big time was the out of control spending - the very thing Obama and the Democrat Congress have doubled down upon.

And it is worth repeating, the Democrats have controlled the Federal purse strings since the 2006 Elections - they are going on nearly a half decade of control.

And yet, they have no blame for the current economic mess we are in??? :eusa_whistle:

And it's too bad that Bawney Fwank blocked the reforms for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac that the Bush Administration proposed. We would have avoided much of the financial meltdown.

One in every five American men between 24 and 54 is now unemployed!!!!

Make no mistake............this radical of a president of ours has one priority: to bury capitalism and have government take control of everything. There is NOTHING he is doing with policy to make anybody think to the contrary.

When he said "change" he meant it. I think there are many millions of Americans out there who had no clue what he really meant!!!

Thankfully for all Americans, November is just around the corner!!!

Do you seriously believe something so incredibly stupid? Do you also believe that "Noah's Ark" is a true historical event? Just wondering.

And it's too bad that Bawney Fwank blocked the reforms for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac that the Bush Administration proposed. We would have avoided much of the financial meltdown.

Now you know that's not true. The meltdown came from the deregulation of Wall Street.

Yup - and now Freddie Mac is asking for an additional $12 Billion to try and balance the books.

Yup - and now Freddie Mac is asking for an additional $12 Billion to try and balance the books.

And the Obama regime has specifically excluded both from their so-called reforms..

March 10.2 April 9.9 you are a liar and a moron.

Have the fundis re asigned the definition of the word "rising"?

That is why people really hate you...you are fundimentally dishonest.
No, March was 9.7.

10.2 is the not seasonally adjusted number for March. The not seasonally adjusted number for April is 9.5. So please get your own numbers and what you're talking about straight before insulting others.

I did my research. Spin your own shit. We gained jobs from March. If there is room for you to spin in it is in what Marches numbers really mean. More jobs means fewer unemployed. There is a vast number of Job seekers that come and go and unemplyment benefits or those seeking them can rise from those off the rolls re-applying. The truth is that more got hired. Stop LYING!!!

Read your own article. This is not bad news.
"The unemployment rate rose from 9.7 percent in March to 9.9 percent in April, mainly because 805,000 jobseekers -- perhaps feeling better about their prospects -- resumed their searches for work. "More confident employers stepped up job creation in April, expanding payrolls by 290,000, the most in four years."

The unemployment rate is based on the number seeking jobs and does not include those not seeking work. You pulled the wrong article to support your claim.

Read my post above yours. It's spin.

The U6 Rate increased from 16.9% to 17.1% - Unemployment is rising faster than Employment.

Since the U3 also went up, why are you pointing out the U6 as something different? The U6 doesn't tell any more about employment or unemployment than the U3...it just adds in parts of Not in the Labor Force.

Speaking of the U6, April shows a clear problem with including discouraged workers, other marginally attached, and part time for economic reasons.
Looking at the unadjusted numbers (because most of the U6 components aren't seasonally adjusted)...the number of Employed went up. The number of Unemployed went down. Part time for economic reasons went way down (because most of that was just temporary cut-back in hours), and marginally attached (other than Discouraged) went down. Yet Discouraged workers went up. So how reliable is their opinion that they won't find work when many more people are entering the labor force because they do think they'll find work? How do we judge what the true labor market conditions are if we're looking at opinion?

Considering that a year ago we were losing 650,000 jobs a month, gaining 290,000 after gaining 62,000 last month shows progress on the job front.

There are still millions of jobs that need to be added to the economy.

Well, that's one way to spin it. I guess everything is fine now.

Far from fine......but gaining 290,000 jobs is better than losing 650,000 jobs a month like we did with that president we are not allowed to mention

March 10.2 April 9.9 you are a liar and a moron.

Have the fundis re asigned the definition of the word "rising"?

That is why people really hate you...you are fundimentally dishonest.
No, March was 9.7.

10.2 is the not seasonally adjusted number for March. The not seasonally adjusted number for April is 9.5. So please get your own numbers and what you're talking about straight before insulting others.

I did my research. Spin your own shit. We gained jobs from March. If there is room for you to spin in it is in what Marches numbers really mean. More jobs means fewer unemployed. There is a vast number of Job seekers that come and go and unemplyment benefits or those seeking them can rise from those off the rolls re-applying. The truth is that more got hired. Stop LYING!!!

You truly don't know what the fuck you're talking about...

One in every five American men between 24 and 54 is now unemployed!!!!

Make no mistake............this radical of a president of ours has one priority: to bury capitalism and have government take control of everything. There is NOTHING he is doing with policy to make anybody think to the contrary.

When he said "change" he meant it. I think there are many millions of Americans out there who had no clue what he really meant!!!

Thankfully for all Americans, November is just around the corner!!!
The only unemployment rate that has any validity is the official unemployment rate which is calculated by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. It does not include those that are not actively seeking work. The rate peaked last year at about 10% then it fell to 9.7%. It has risen to 9.9% because the number of new job creations is bringing people out into the labor market who were not previously seeking a job.

Any unemployment rate which is not calculated by the Bureaus of Labor Statistics should be viewed with suspicion. In order to exaggerate the unemployment problem people will simply make up their own unemployment rate. The most common deception is to include people who are not looking for a job. That would include those the don't want to work, can't work, and don't need to work. The other common deception is to report rates selectively. For example the lowest unemployment rate in the country is 4% in North Dakota. The highest is 14% in Michigan. In some selected areas you can come up with rates higher than 20%. So feel to distort as you choose, but don't expect people to take you seriously.
List of U.S. states by unemployment rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[
I did my research. Spin your own shit. We gained jobs from March. If there is room for you to spin in it is in what Marches numbers really mean. More jobs means fewer unemployed.
No, it doesn't...they both went up.

There is a vast number of Job seekers that come and go and unemplyment benefits or those seeking them can rise from those off the rolls re-applying. The truth is that more got hired. Stop LYING!!!
And whether or not someone has ever received or qualified for UI benefits has nothing to do with whether or not they're counted as Unemployed.

Here's the press release: Table A-1. Employment status of the civilian population by sex and age
In plain English, the Seasonally Adjusted numbers show that both employment and unemployment went up and the rate went from 9.7 to 9.9.

Not seasonally adjusted is a lot different (both unemployment level and rate went down), but seasonal adjustment factors out normally occurring ups and downs and gives the real trend (think of the unadjusted numbers as measuring the ocean, and the adjusted numbers as adjusting for the tide)

The stimulus package obviously worked. Thank you, Obama!!!!

(BTW, do we have to pay that back???)

Forum List

Back