Zone1 Jesus was mean.. (I guess) because He said that anyone who does not accept the Gospel is condemned!

We're putting your proclamation of it being a comic novella to the test right now and you're not getting any responses wither way.

You need more than a yes or a no, you need a clear statement and that's the test that will open the discussion..
Google it. There's poetry and law, commentary, fables etc.
After a hermeneutical discussion of multiple genres within these literary categories that have been used to describe the Book of Jonah, this work concludes that the book is best described as a 'didactic, satiric novella'.

Last edited:
Google it. There's poetry and law, commentary, fables etc.
We should let the question ride for a while but it's not very likely that anybody wants to say either way.

Til then the question has been answered for me.

We should let the question ride for a while but it's not very likely that anybody wants to say either way.

Til then the question has been answered for me.

The theme of the short story is God's constant mercy toward Jonah and Nineveh. Nineveh is Mosul, Iraq.

Remember how Jonah is pouting and sulking yet God provides shade for Jonah.

So to paraphrase, Jesus basically said, " Love me or else"
So?

God has been saying that throughout the history of mankind

If you dont love what God loves, you will not INHERIT what God loves... "endorses"

I don't see a problem... not one bit. Only libs see problems where they don't exist..

As God said through the prophet Isaiah

Your thoughts are not my thoughts. My ways are not your ways

Mainstream Bible scholars generally regard the Book of Jonah as fictional, and often at least partially satirical.The character of Jonah, son of Amittai, may have been based on the historical prophet of the same name who prophesied during the reign of Amaziah of the Kingdom of Judah, as mentioned in 2 Kings.

Which Bible are you using? The Comparative Study Bible does not have Jesus saying this when he commissions his disciples. irosie91 is correct. Matthew did not write that.

A lot of people here have a short attention span (sometimes I do also) so I have highlighted the aprops scripture psgs in green/bold
Mark 16:16

Good News Translation
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved; whoever does not believe will be condemned.
New Revised Standard Version
The one who believes and is baptized will be saved; but the one who does not believe will be condemned.
Contemporary English Version
Anyone who believes me and is baptized will be saved. But anyone who refuses to believe me will be condemned.
New American Bible
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved; whoever does not believe will be condemned.
Douay-Rheims Bible
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved: but he that believeth not shall he condemned.

1 John 5:10-13 He that believeth in the Son of God hath the testimony of God in himself. He that believeth not the Son maketh him a liar: because he believeth not in the testimony which God hath testified of his Son. . . .
is.

John 3:18,19,36He that believeth in him is not judged. But he that doth not believe is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God. . . .
John 8:24 Therefore I said to you that you shall die in your sins. For if you believe not that I am he, you shall die in your sin.

John 3:18,19,36He that believeth in him is not judged. But he that doth not believe is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God. . . .
It's really just always been threats hasn't it.
But the threats llost their impact when the flock came to understanding that their bibles could no longer be considered to be the truth.
The Catholic church took action with their endorsement of Darwin's evolution but was it a wise move to make?

i like the way libs ignore #26

like the plague

I would LOL but it's not funny: people ending up in Hell bc they can't (won't) let go of their lib-ness

Meriweather has not commented on all those scripture psgs I listed that say we are condemned if we do not believe in Christ

Jonah is a comic nouvella. It was never real. It's a short fable about how God loves his children even the people of Nineveh.. The joke was on Jonah.
well---it's a DRASH--as in midrash. like several in the NT---the story of the
"good samaritan" the "fishes and loaves" "the adultress" etc etc. I am not
clear on the concept of "comic" or "joke"-----unless the word comic is used
in the classical sense of NOT TRAGIC

True story.. I believe it is the last chapter of Matthew.. (Mt 28:20?)

He says He is with us always, until the End

Then he says to preach the Gospel to everyone. Those who accept and are BAPTIZED will be saved. Those who do not are condemned.

Yep, that Jesus... what a meanie

LOL
baptism doesnt save you. I guess you missed His dozens of other saved verses that don't mention anything but faith?

A lot of people here have a short attention span (sometimes I do also) so I have highlighted the aprops scripture psgs in green/bold
Mark 16:16

Good News Translation
New Revised Standard Version
The one who believes and is baptized will be saved; but the one who does not believe will be condemned.
Contemporary English Version
Anyone who believes me and is baptized will be saved. But anyone who refuses to believe me will be condemned.
New American Bible
Douay-Rheims Bible
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved: but he that believeth not shall he condemned.

1 John 5:10-13 He that believeth in the Son of God hath the testimony of God in himself. He that believeth not the Son maketh him a liar: because he believeth not in the testimony which God hath testified of his Son. . . .
is.

John 8:24 Therefore I said to you that you shall die in your sins. For if you believe not that I am he, you shall die in your sin.
you read too fast- it doesnt say what you think it says. It says belief not baptism in the 2nd part of the verse. Also if you think baptism saves you , you missed dozens of verses mentioning nothing about baptism and getting saved. You read into the text something not there.

So?

God has been saying that throughout the history of mankind

If you dont love what God loves, you will not INHERIT what God loves... "endorses"

I don't see a problem... not one bit. Only libs see problems where they don't exist..

As God said through the prophet Isaiah

Your thoughts are not my thoughts. My ways are not your ways

Why does an omniscient, immortal being have to order inferior beings like us mere mortals to love it under threat of divine retribution?

IMO the god that does that isn't deserving of love.

Biblically, condemned generally means 'punished', often in the Old Testament the consequences of living a certain way. For example, one who goes outside on a snowy day without wearing a coat is condemned to be cold.

Living the Way Christ taught brings peace, relief--often those words are translated as "saved".

Somewhere along the line in reading and thinking in English, people started thinking in terms of the afterlife and heaven and hell. From the Biblical perspective in the ancient language, those words come across more as, Anyone who is baptized into living the way I teach will experience positive results in their lives. Those who do not will experience the negative results.

We make it too complicated. Love others, and positive relationships are formed, enriching this life. Murder someone, end up in prison (living in a cage) for the rest of one's life.

In Acts, the word is also used in the present. If someone walks out of prison, the jailer is held responsible and killed in place of the prisoner. If the Apostle walks out of prison, how can the jailer prevent the punishment coming his way? Once again, nothing to do with the future heaven/hell--but the right now.

Biblically, condemned generally means 'punished', often in the Old Testament the consequences of living a certain way. For example, one who goes outside on a snowy day without wearing a coat is condemned to be cold.

Living the Way Christ taught brings peace, relief--often those words are translated as "saved".

Somewhere along the line in reading and thinking in English, people started thinking in terms of the afterlife and heaven and hell. From the Biblical perspective in the ancient language, those words come across more as, Anyone who is baptized into living the way I teach will experience positive results in their lives. Those who do not will experience the negative results.

We make it too complicated. Love others, and positive relationships are formed, enriching this life. Murder someone, end up in prison (living in a cage) for the rest of one's life.

In Acts, the word is also used in the present. If someone walks out of prison, the jailer is held responsible and killed in place of the prisoner. If the Apostle walks out of prison, how can the jailer prevent the punishment coming his way? Once again, nothing to do with the future heaven/hell--but the right now.
OK---tell Francis----that "save" thing has been used to describe eventual
ascent to heaven----as far as I know----all my little (albeit long) life. Your
description is kinda (keep this idea under wraps) ----talmudic

well---it's a DRASH--as in midrash. like several in the NT---the story of the
"good samaritan" the "fishes and loaves" "the adultress" etc etc. I am not
clear on the concept of "comic" or "joke"-----unless the word comic is used
in the classical sense of NOT TRAGIC

A joke in the sense that Jonah was sulking and pouting..and then God took back the shade he'd given him.

True story.. I believe it is the last chapter of Matthew.. (Mt 28:20?)

He says He is with us always, until the End

Then he says to preach the Gospel to everyone. Those who accept and are BAPTIZED will be saved. Those who do not are condemned.

Yep, that Jesus... what a meanie

LOL
Jesus was imaginary and 99 times out of 100 you kids ignore what he supposedly said anyway.

Forum List

Back