Jesus and the public option

I bring it up because this thread is about what Jesus would do for one.. So that kinda makes the bible and what Christ said in the bible applicable..

Also it occurs to me that many consrvatives are on the wrong side of christianity and don't seem to know it.. So it is using their own weapon against them..

You guys are seriously really trying to argue that Jesus Christ would advocate government health care?
Not exactly. He would advocate affordable health care for the poor and since there doesn't seem to be any other way...

I wonder, if Jesus were in the Senate today would he vote for a public option for health insurance?

I'd say yes.

What do you think?

I would like to think that if Jesus was in the Senate today that he would make them all speak in different tongues. We, the general public, can't understand a thing they say, so why should they be able to understand each other? Congress is nothing but a pit of vipers and I doubt seriously that Jesus would spend anytime there. Most likely he would cause the walls to crumble and let the place fall down. I am certain he would not be pleased at the laws being created that ban using his name or prayer in the public schools. For somebody to even wonder what Jesus would or wouldn't do always amazes me. What on the face of God's green Earth makes you so knowledgeable to even have a clue as to what Jesus would or wouldn't do? I think your assumption is pretty pathetic.

I wonder, if Jesus were in the Senate today would he vote for a public option for health insurance?

I'd say yes.

What do you think?

I would like to think that if Jesus was in the Senate today that he would make them all speak in different tongues. We, the general public, can't understand a thing they say, so why should they be able to understand each other? Congress is nothing but a pit of vipers and I doubt seriously that Jesus would spend anytime there. Most likely he would cause the walls to crumble and let the place fall down. I am certain he would not be pleased at the laws being created that ban using his name or prayer in the public schools. For somebody to even wonder what Jesus would or wouldn't do always amazes me. What on the face of God's green Earth makes you so knowledgeable to even have a clue as to what Jesus would or wouldn't do? I think your assumption is pretty pathetic.
Kudos on one of the most ironic posts ever posted at USMB.

Not exactly. He would advocate affordable health care for the poor and since there doesn't seem to be any other way...

And how exactly does government run health care provide affordable health care for the people when the government already refuses to pay for more treatment than any insurance company does??? How does telling grandma she should take pain killers and die rather than burden the tax payers help the poor??? How does putting doctors out of business help the poor? How does destroying incentive for creating cures help the poor?

How can you possibly say there is no other way than government run health care when we've been going thousands of years without it?! Of course there is another way. Get the government out of the health care profession period. They have no constitutional authority to do anything other allow people and employers to buy health care insurance cross state lines.

Other ways? how about we create free clinics? Give drs incentives to work there? Work through charity. Provide tax breaks for drs who provide low income services.

There are plenty of creative ways to fix the problem. But you dont seem to realize this government run health care crap has nothing to do with fixing the problem. Its all about control and power. You get up in arms when someone suggests that you shouldnt get an abortion, claiming your pro choice and you dont think the government should tell you what to do with your body. Yet you turn around and start advocating that the government should tell us how to take care of our bodies. It makes no sense.

If you want a truly better way? Get faith in Christ, unshakeable faith. Repent of your sins. Humble yourself before God and ask God for the gift to heal. And Heal them. Ive seen miraculous healings. The reasons they dont happen often is because people dont have the faith to accomplish them. Or they ask without putting any effort for themselves. IE asking without faith.

Render unto Cesar that which is in his image. Render to God that which is in His image.

And how exactly does government run health care provide affordable health care for the people when the government already refuses to pay for more treatment than any insurance company does??? How does telling grandma she should take pain killers and die rather than burden the tax payers help the poor??? How does putting doctors out of business help the poor? How does destroying incentive for creating cures help the poor?

How can you possibly say there is no other way than government run health care when we've been going thousands of years without it?! Of course there is another way. Get the government out of the health care profession period. They have no constitutional authority to do anything other allow people and employers to buy health care insurance cross state lines.

Other ways? how about we create free clinics? Give drs incentives to work there? Work through charity. Provide tax breaks for drs who provide low income services.

There are plenty of creative ways to fix the problem. But you dont seem to realize this government run health care crap has nothing to do with fixing the problem. Its all about control and power. You get up in arms when someone suggests that you shouldnt get an abortion, claiming your pro choice and you dont think the government should tell you what to do with your body. Yet you turn around and start advocating that the government should tell us how to take care of our bodies. It makes no sense.

If you want a truly better way? Get faith in Christ, unshakeable faith. Repent of your sins. Humble yourself before God and ask God for the gift to heal. And Heal them. Ive seen miraculous healings. The reasons they dont happen often is because people dont have the faith to accomplish them. Or they ask without putting any effort for themselves. IE asking without faith.

Render unto Cesar that which is in his image. Render to God that which is in His image.
I got that far and stopped reading.

If you're going to lie perhaps you should stay out of the religion/ethics forum.

I am reading a history on the church and society in the middle ages and one item that I found interesting was the fact the holy roman church did not want the bible translated into a language a commoner would understand. It was Latin or Greek for the clergy as they wanted the common folk to follow their wishes and not Jesus' words.

It seems today that is still true of much of religion with a few exceptions. See below.

Sojourners : Faith in Action
Truth-telling and Responsibility in Health Care - Jim Wallis - God’s Politics Blog
Dan Nejfelt: Christians Weigh In On Health Care Reform
Rob Warmowski: Christians, Please Report to the Health Insurance Reform Debate

And there should be no question that Jesus would be for UHC, check out the NT.

I am reading a history on the church and society in the middle ages and one item that I found interesting was the fact the holy roman church did not want the bible translated into a language a commoner would understand. It was Latin or Greek for the clergy as they wanted the common folk to follow their wishes and not Jesus' words.

It seems today that is still true of much of religion with a few exceptions. See below.

Sojourners : Faith in Action
Truth-telling and Responsibility in Health Care - Jim Wallis - God’s Politics Blog
Dan Nejfelt: Christians Weigh In On Health Care Reform
Rob Warmowski: Christians, Please Report to the Health Insurance Reform Debate

And there should be no question that Jesus would be for UHC, check out the NT.

So what youre saying is that He suffered and died to heal those to come to Him, but He would prefer it if they went to the government for healing instead.

That makes so much sense.

I'd say yes.

What do you think?

i think the more interesting thing would be his opinion on how to pay for it .....

Those that say the public option will take away freedom and that Jesus would never be for anything government run are speaking through their man-made, humanistic Ideologies.

Matthew 25 31-46 states how we as a nation treat the 'least of these', is how we treat Christ himself. Jesus wouldn't care how we helped the poor and sick, just as long as we did it.

Last time I checked, Medicare never dropped someone off of there coverage because they had gotten sick and digging into their profits. What the health insurance industry is doing is right up there with planned parenthood, making profit from the termination of human life(abortion). Its some of the most anti-Christ behavior that I've seen in a while.

I also wish the wing nuts would get off of the "losing freedom" tangent. If you are a christian, your freedom is compromised. Follow Christ or suffer the consequences. Doesn't leave a lot of room for your freedoms does it? Jesus didn't tell us to:

"live free or die"

He told us to love others as we love ourselves, which means sacrifice and doing things that restrict your freedom for the sake of others. Its a good thing Jesus wasn't a conservative, otherwise he would have never died on the cross for our sins. You would think by listening to these neo-cons Christs middle name would be Adam Smith.

Last edited:
Those that say the public option will take away freedom and that Jesus would never be for anything government run are speaking through their man-made, humanistic Ideologies.

Matthew 25 31-46 states how we as a nation treat the 'least of these', is how we treat Christ himself. Jesus wouldn't care how we helped the poor and sick, just as long as we did it.

Last time I checked, Medicare never dropped someone off of there coverage because they had gotten sick and digging into their profits. What the health insurance industry is doing is right up there with planned parenthood, making profit from the termination of human life(abortion). Its some of the most anti-Christ behavior that I've seen in a while.

I also wish the wing nuts would get off of the "losing freedom" tangent. If you are a christian, your freedom is compromised. Follow Christ or suffer the consequences. Doesn't leave a lot of room for your freedoms does it? Jesus didn't tell us to:

"live free or die"

He told us to love others as we love ourselves, which means sacrifice and doing things that restrict your freedom for the sake of others. Its a good thing Jesus wasn't a conservative, otherwise he would have never died on the cross for our sins. You would think by listening to these neo-cons Christs middle name would be Adam Smith.

in what bible does it say THAT???
what translation?

No, we just see how Christ lived His life and realize that's how He wants us to live ours. He doesnt want us abrogating our responsibilities on some monolith government. He doesnt want us outsourcing our charity to others. He wants us to actually go out and do things.

And how are you helping the poor by having someone else give them a third party's hard earned money?

I certainly do think Jesus cares about how we take care of the poor and the sick. As I said, I think He expects us to do it, not to outsource it.

So for some reason its unfair that people get compensated for providing people with a service? We should just give everything for nothing? It be nice if we lived in that type of world. Where we didn't have to do any work and get free stuff all the time. But we don't.

There is nothing wrong with making money. The only problems occur when you love money more than God and your fellow man.

The real question is why are you jealous of people making profits? Why are they suddenly not entitled to make a living or be compensated for the service they provide? Just because you say so? Why are you entitled to someone elses work?

God tells us we are to be work hard and be charitable. He doesnt say we are entitled to anything. Why do you trust in the state more than God? Why do you think you are entitled to anything?

"live free or die"

You dont listen to Him much. And you don't follow His word. If you did you would realize that the Truth sets us free. If we live the Gospel we are a free people. If we don't we sell ourselves into bondage. To obey is better than to sacrifice. To love others isnt a sacrifice.

Matthew 25:31-46 (New International Version)

The Sheep and the Goats
31"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

44"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

45"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

46"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

There are also 3 different translations that have the same message:
New American Standard Bible
The King James version
Contemporary English version

No messing with words here to fit any agenda that I have. I'm a reverend and registered as an independent.

Matthew 25:31-46 (New International Version)

The Sheep and the Goats
31"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

44"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

45"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

46"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

There are also 3 different translations that have the same message:
New American Standard Bible
The King James version
Contemporary English version

No messing with words here to fit any agenda that I have. I'm a reverend and registered as an independent.
uh, no where does that say anything about a government
its talking to INDIVIDUALS
and even if it DID

we are NOT a theocracy and i dont know anyone that wants one

Forum List

Back