Jesus and the public option

Matthew 25:31-46 (New International Version)

The Sheep and the Goats
31"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

44"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

45"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

46"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

There are also 3 different translations that have the same message:
New American Standard Bible
The King James version
Contemporary English version

No messing with words here to fit any agenda that I have. I'm a reverend and registered as an independent.

Like that somehow supports your justification of bad public policy.

Those that say the public option will take away freedom and that Jesus would never be for anything government run are speaking through their man-made, humanistic Ideologies.

No, we just see how Christ lived His life and realize that's how He wants us to live ours. He doesnt want us abrogating our responsibilities on some monolith government. He doesnt want us outsourcing our charity to others. He wants us to actually go out and do things.

Matthew 25 31-46 states how we as a nation treat the 'least of these', is how we treat Christ himself. Jesus wouldn't care how we helped the poor and sick, just as long as we did it.

And how are you helping the poor by having someone else give them a third party's hard earned money?

I certainly do think Jesus cares about how we take care of the poor and the sick. As I said, I think He expects us to do it, not to outsource it.

Last time I checked, Medicare never dropped someone off of there coverage because they had gotten sick and digging into their profits. What the health insurance industry is doing is right up there with planned parenthood, making profit from the termination of human life(abortion). Its some of the most anti-Christ behavior that I've seen in a while.

So for some reason its unfair that people get compensated for providing people with a service? We should just give everything for nothing? It be nice if we lived in that type of world. Where we didn't have to do any work and get free stuff all the time. But we don't.

There is nothing wrong with making money. The only problems occur when you love money more than God and your fellow man.

The real question is why are you jealous of people making profits? Why are they suddenly not entitled to make a living or be compensated for the service they provide? Just because you say so? Why are you entitled to someone elses work?

God tells us we are to be work hard and be charitable. He doesnt say we are entitled to anything. Why do you trust in the state more than God? Why do you think you are entitled to anything?

I also wish the wing nuts would get off of the "losing freedom" tangent. If you are a christian, your freedom is compromised. Follow Christ or suffer the consequences. Doesn't leave a lot of room for your freedoms does it? Jesus didn't tell us to:

"live free or die"

He told us to love others as we love ourselves, which means sacrifice and doing things that restrict your freedom for the sake of others. Its a good thing Jesus wasn't a conservative, otherwise he would have never died on the cross for our sins. You would think by listening to these neo-cons Christs middle name would be Adam Smith.

You dont listen to Him much. And you don't follow His word. If you did you would realize that the Truth sets us free. If we live the Gospel we are a free people. If we don't we sell ourselves into bondage. To obey is better than to sacrifice. To love others isnt a sacrifice.

1. Your 'evil' government is nothing more than a straw man. WE ARE the government. By, of and for the people. To say government is some mindless machine coming to take your rights is a gross and pathetic exaggeration. Individuals make up government and there are strength in #s. We can help so many more people together than we can separate. And that's the goal.

2. 2 Corinthians 8 1-15:
It doesn't matter how much you have, what matters is what you are willing to give from what you have. I am not trying to make life easier on others by making life harder on you but I think it's fair that you share with them when you have so much and they have so little.

Later, when they have more than enough, and you are in need,they can share with you. Then everyone will have a fair share, just as the Scripture says, "Those who gathered too much didn't have too much and those who gathered too little did not have to little".

You don't earn anything, your blessed with it by grace.

3.Why do you trust corporate America more than Jesus and our government? Corporate America cares about one thing, Profit. WE ARE the government. So we are not out sourcing. Health insurance companies don't provide anything! They make profits off the sick and their suffering. They drop the sick from their policies and don't care whether they live or die. Profit is more important to them than life its self. Real Christ like. Jesus healed everybody that came to him. He didn't ask for money, an insurance card or if what they had was a pre-existing illness. Doctors and nurses do all the work and provide a service. Insurance companies make profit by screwing people out of their policies when they need them most. Name me one person who was dropped from Medicare because of an illness.Thats because Medicare is non-profit, the way health and human services should be.

4.We are free of the shackles of the law because of Christs blood. He didn't say we are now free to chase earthly pleasures while carrying our cross and following him. We gave our souls to Christ, he paid a great price for us. Sounds like our souls are bought and paid for. To follow Christ takes sacrifice from our selfish lives.

Love is sacrifice. Love is seeking the other persons highest good without anything in returned. To sacrifice our needs for the needs of others. "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life". Christ gave himself as a living SACRIFICE for all of man kind. Without sacrifice, there is no salvation.

If Jesus were still around we wouldn't need health care. Heck, he could even show up a few days after you're dead and bring you back. Go Jesus!

Thank you for reaffirming why her thread's assertion is so completely ridiculous.

Oh, and He could show up a few million years and bring you back.

The Sheep and the Goats
31"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

44"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

45"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

46"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

The King James version

No messing with words here to fit any agenda that I have. I'm a reverend and registered as an independent.

Like that somehow supports your justification of bad public policy.

Once again, your letting an ideology of anti-government take precedent over your faith. I don't care how you help the poor and sick, just as long as you do it! Give me an alternative to the public option that will:

1. Help as many people as the public option would
2 Would do it non-profit

The Sheep and the Goats

The King James version

uh, no where does that say anything about a government
its talking to INDIVIDUALS
and even if it DID

we are NOT a theocracy and i dont know anyone that wants one

So Jesus would say,"help the poor and the sick, but if you have to use your evil government, let them die". WE ARE the government once again. Its not a separate entity. Individuals make up government. Do you want to let the poor and sick die because it conflicts with your conservative ideology? I feel sorry for you.

I think Jesus would have supported a total free market on health care.

You are sick, you get sicker, you suffer your cross, you die, the insurance company is saved and you are resurrected.

Now, I personally prefer a different health care option.

But that is just me.

Last edited:
Once again, your letting an ideology of anti-government take precedent over your faith. I don't care how you help the poor and sick, just as long as you do it! Give me an alternative to the public option that will:

1. Help as many people as the public option would
2 Would do it non-profit

Funny, that's not what Christ said or taught. You'd know this if you were familiar with the scriptures.

Christ encouraged individual charity. He never once spoke of government assistance or handouts. And that is for a very good reason. It doesnt work. Christ doesnt work through compulsion. He works through invitation, through exhortation, through long suffering, through unfeigned kindness, etc.

The fact that you cant see an alternative greater than the state also shows your lack of understanding of the Gospel. Because if you were studying and praying know, the Spirit would show you many better alternatives.

So Jesus would say,"help the poor and the sick, but if you have to use your evil government, let them die". WE ARE the government once again. Its not a separate entity. Individuals make up government. Do you want to let the poor and sick die because it conflicts with your conservative ideology? I feel sorry for you.

You seem to be under the false impression that there are only two options available 1) government compulsion or 2) people dying.

this is incorrect and very dishonest. Reality has a much broader spectrum of options.

In fact, government run health care is much more likely to let the poor die than our current system. The President himself stated how we are going to have to make decisions about whether grandma should just take pain killers till she dies or actually get treatment she needs. The tax burden will be unable to support the nations costs. It's inevitable. Costs will have to be cut somewhere. Where exactly do you think they will cut costs first? To the elderly. To the poor who cant cause problems for them. Who do you think will be the last ones cut? the people who have money. The politicians. The campaign contributors.

You want to sacrifice freedom for what? sub par medical coverage that causes more health care problems than it solves for the very people you claim to be serving? It doesnt make sense. Its especially illogical to do this after see how it has failed in other nations.

Finally, we are not the government. This is a Republic, not a Democracy. We dont make every choice that the government makes. Others do.

If you want to pawn your responsibility for the poor and afflicted to others, then dont be surprised when someone has dropped the ball and you are the reason people suffer. As for me, I plan to do what the Lord has said and actually try to help them.

Yes, he would vote for a public option.. And pay no attention to these mindless conservatives.. They don't know a thing about Christ.. If they did they would be liberals too.. It also shows that they haven't actually read the bible.. Especially the parts where christ speaks..

Really? So tell us, Billy Graham, does your sermon on what Christ would do include quotations from the Bible where He instructed us that charity and compassion should flow from government? Because if you're going to claim others "haven't actually read the Bible", then that means you're bragging that YOU have, so you should be able to source your belief in Christ's support for government healthcare.

I will await your brilliant, incisive spiritual guidance on this subject.

But I won't be holding my breath while I wait.

I wonder, if Jesus were in the Senate today would he vote for a public option for health insurance?

I'd say yes.

What do you think?

I think this Jesus person you talk of--would resign--too much corruption is in government.

Yes, he would vote for a public option.. And pay no attention to these mindless conservatives.. They don't know a thing about Christ.. If they did they would be liberals too.. It also shows that they haven't actually read the bible.. Especially the parts where christ speaks..
i would say it is YOU that don't know a thing about Christ

especially if you think Jesus would waste his time on something as silly as the senate
that alone shows you have no concept of his teachings

Ohh!! Wrong answer!! Prepare to be bitch slapped with the bible!!

Prepare to be bored snotless by Majik's boundless ability to misquote and misinterpret the Bible to suit his own purposes.

Corporate Greed and the Religion of Wealth: In the temple courts [Jesus] found men selling cattle, sheep and doves and other
sitting at tables exchanging money. So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple area, both sheep and cattle;
he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. [John 2:14 & 15.] Watch out! Be on your guard against
all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions. [Luke 12.15.] Truly, I say unto you, it will
be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. [Matthew 19:23] You cannot serve both God and Money. [Matthew 6:24.]

BLAM!!! Strike down corperate wealth and greed!! Something you conservative have no clue about!!

BLAM!! Strike one for Majik!

First of all, twerp, it's not likely Christ could have been demonstrating a hatred of corporations in the Bible, inasmuch as THERE WAS NO SUCH THING AT THE TIME. They didn't exist. Hello!

Second of all, you should get someone to look up the word "greed" in one of those nifty books that literate people call a "dictionary" and read it to you. I'll tell you right now that neither the dictionary nor God defines it as "earning money". Christ's problem with the moneychangers in the temple wasn't that they were making money. It was that THEY WERE IN THE TEMPLE. That's why He didn't throw a fit in the middle of the town marketplace. Duh!

I'm very glad that you "cleverly" managed to find that God doesn't like greed. Now if you only had the wattage of a low-grade light bulb and could figure out what that actually was. Perhaps if you studied the Bible, instead of studying websites devoted to cherrypicking it to support your bullshit, you MIGHT have some clue and not be trying to suggest that merely trying to conduct business equates to "worshipping money".

Community: Love your neighbor as yourself. .[Matthew 22:39] So in everything, do to others as you would have them do to you.
[Matthew 7:12.] If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven.
[Matthew 19:21]

OOOOFF!! Just the way you morons treat liberals puts you at odds with those passages.. It does say to help the poor.. Something you care nothing about as you defund every social service..

So what you're telling us is that we should all feel grateful and loved because you want us all to be lazy, sucking leeches just like you? You figure when the Bible says, "Love thy neighbor as yourself", what it meant was that you should extend to your neighbor the opportunity to join you in unproductive slughood, benefitting off the taxation of those who stll insist on being "greedy" and actually working for that evil money? And by the way, genius, if you're doing unto others as you want them to do unto you, does that mean you want US to come into YOUR house and take everything you have - I realize that's probably only about $1.50 after you spent the welfare check on beer, but still - and give it to others without your consent? And if you really think Christ was suggesting that He expected everyone to sell everything they had, give away the proceeds, and live as transients, may I ask when YOU held YOUR yard sale for all your worldly possessions?

I'm still waiting for the quote where Christ said, "Go ye and give everything you have to the government that they may help the poor while you never sully yourself by speaking to them." Because all I'm seeing from you on the subject of "you conservatives should fund social programs" are quotes suggesting that people should help others DIRECTLY, not through the government. And gosh, look at who gives more money and time to the poor individually. It's us damned, evil, uncharitable conservatives, isn't it? Tell me, which do you think Jesus would prefer? Social programs that encourage people to be lazy on both sides, or individual charity that encourages interaction and personal love and compassion? Ooof!! That's gotta hurt!

Equality & Social Programs: But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed,
because they cannot repay you. You will be repaid at the resurrection of the just. [Luke 14:13 &14.]

BIFFF!!! Oh and another social issue passage.. Care to start inviting the 45 million of uninsured into your home for your healing touch?? Or help the government do it.. And be proud of the taxes you pay as you will be repaid!!

Where'd you learn to read for comprehension, Brain Trust? Had to be a government school.

Does that passage say, "Instead of giving a feast, give the money to the government and have them issue food stamps to the poor?" I don't think so. I sure as hell don't see it saying a damned word about taxes. What I see is an exhortation to PERSONAL charity which you, in your infinite desperation to have someone else take care of your responsibilities, have misinterpreted.

Call me when leftists start giving anywhere NEAR the amount of time and money to charity that conservatives do. Or when YOU PERSONALLY throw a feast for the poor.

Bifff!! That's not even a strike. That's the ball hitting the batter in the groin. Hope you were wearing a cup.

Public Prayer & Displays of Faith: And when thou pray, thou shall not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in
the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
But thou, when thou pray, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret…
[Matthew 6:6 & 7]

Crack!! Hey!! One against going to church?? How can that be??

Now that is going to leave a mark!!

What was that, a description of your mother dropping you on your head as a baby? Explains a lot. Like how you missed THIS:

So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, "Father, I thank you that you have heard me. I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me." [John 11:41-42]

Ooh! Seems that Jesus violated His own teaching by praying in front of people . . . if He had, in fact, been preaching the half-assed crap of your interpretation. Fortunately, He wasn't.

And what about this?

When he had said this, he knelt down with all of them and prayed. [Acts 20:36]

That would be the Apostle Paul, saying goodbye to the Ephesians. Someone should have told him not to pray in public, so that he could be as "holy" as you are, huh?

I'm not even going to bother citing the most common section on forsaking not the gathering together of yourselves, nor am I going to cast pearls before swine by explaining to you the Bible's REAL position on prayer. What I will say is that you should have someone also look up and read to you the definition of "context". It's something you acquire when you read the ENTIRE Bible with an open mind, desiring to learn from it and follow its teaching, rather than reading cherrypicking websites in order to twist the Scriptures to your own selfish purposes.

I can and will bury you in scripture.. I know full well what Christs teachings were and what he stood for.. You are not it! You aren't even close!! Oooops..

“Judge not, that ye be not judged” (Matthew 7:1)
“Judge not, and ye shall not be judged, condemn not and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven” (Luke 6:37)

My bad sorry.. I hope you learn something..

The only things you're burying us in are bullshit, illiteracy, and false prophecy. The Bible tells us, in one of those passages that your websites don't include because it doesn't allow you to lie about Christ, that even the Devil can quote Scripture. It also tells us to beware of false prophets using the Word to try to lead us astray.

I bring it up because this thread is about what Jesus would do for one.. So that kinda makes the bible and what Christ said in the bible applicable..

Also it occurs to me that many consrvatives are on the wrong side of christianity and don't seem to know it.. So it is using their own weapon against them..
LOL you neither know Jesus, nor conservatives

Ok.. This two thread thing sucks.. Pick one will you??

Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian

10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.

9 - You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.

8 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.

7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees!

6 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

5 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.

4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."

3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.

2 - You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

1 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a Christian.

Top Ten Signs You're a Leftist Halfwit

10) You deny the existence of God, except when insisting that he's in favor of your political agenda.

9) You feel insulted and "dehumanized" by the Bible saying you were made from the Earth itself, but have no problem believing you are closely related to chimpanzees.

8) You believe you have learned enough about the Bible and Christianity from college courses and Internet sites to be able to preach to Christians about the "correct" way for them to live a faith you don't actually share.

7) You believe that modern-day Christians should be more outraged by acts committed by God Almighty thousands of years ago than by acts committed by human beings right this second.

6) You excoriate Christians for "laughing" at other religions simply because they don't agree with them, while never questioning the sneering contempt you routinely show to Christians. Or, for that matter, those same other religions.

5) You tout yourself as an expert on what Christians believe, while blithely attributing beliefs held by one sect to all of them.

4) You pride yourself on being more "tolerant" and "compassionate" than Christians, based on how many votes you cast for government spending for people you would never dream of speaking to yourself.

3) You love to point to how "scientific" your beliefs are, but are not actually able to articulate any real support science offers for them.

2) You make up statistics out of your ass, and are bewildered why no one else treats them seriously.

1) You get called on your arrogance, hypocrisy, and stunning naivete, and immediately change the subject.

I bring it up because this thread is about what Jesus would do for one.. So that kinda makes the bible and what Christ said in the bible applicable..

Also it occurs to me that many consrvatives are on the wrong side of christianity and don't seem to know it.. So it is using their own weapon against them..

You guys are seriously really trying to argue that Jesus Christ would advocate government health care?

Why not? These are the same people who twit themselves on how "compassionate" they are toward people they wouldn't personally piss on if they were on fire, simply because they WOULD vote for the government to send a bureaucrat to piss on them.

Forum List

Back