Jefferson on gun control.

Sounds good, but the argument would be more compelling if we had the rest of what he wrote in full view so that it would be in the proper context. The reason I say this is because that is a typical gun grabber reasoning when it comes to quotes from Jeff and others stating that the quote was taken out of context and therefore invalid.

"No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms [within his own lands].

Thomas Jefferson, Draft Constitution for the State of Virginia, June, 1776"

Thomas Jefferson Quotes

What was his postion on flame throwers, atomic weapons, LAWS rockets, chemical weapons and biological weapons?

Just wondering.

STrawman, he of course had no position on something he didn't even know would ever exist. AND I don't see very many people wanting to own those items.

BUT a clear argument could be made, and in fact I do, that although the 2nd guarantees the right to bear arms, it doesn't guarantee the right to own anything that is available. Based on my other readings of Jefferson, I would say that if he were alive today he would agree with my assessment. I would also hope that Allie doesn't think anyone should be able to own said weapons.

Allie's on a Jefferson kick, except for everything of his that he said that she disagrees with. :rofl:

Jefferson Bible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In extracting the pure principles which he taught, we should have to strip off the artificial vestments in which they have been muffled by priests, who have travestied them into various forms, as instruments of riches and power to themselves. We must dismiss the Platonists and Plotinists, the Stagyrites and Gamalielites, the Eclectics, the Gnostics and Scholastics, their essences and emanations, their logos and demiurges, aeons and daemons, male and female, with a long train of … or, shall I say at once, of nonsense. We must reduce our volume to the simple evangelists, select, even from them, the very words only of Jesus, paring off the amphibologisms into which they have been led, by forgetting often, or not understanding, what had fallen from him, by giving their own misconceptions as his dicta, and expressing unintelligibly for others what they had not understood themselves. There will be found remaining the most sublime and benevolent code of morals which has ever been offered to man. I have performed this operation for my own use, by cutting verse by verse out of the printed book, and arranging the matter which is evidently his, and which is as easily distinguishable as diamonds in a dunghill. The result is an octavo of forty-six pages, of pure and unsophisticated doctrines. [3]

Jefferson's Wall of Separation Letter - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

He was vilified by his political opponents for his role in the passage of the 1786 Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom and for his criticism of such biblical events as the Great Flood and the theological age of the Earth. As president, he discontinued the practice started by his predecessors George Washington and John Adams of proclaiming days of fasting and thanksgiving. He was a staunch believer in the separation of church and state.

Thomas Jefferson quotes

Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity.

-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

Where the preamble declares, that coercion is a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed by inserting "Jesus Christ," so that it would read "A departure from the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion;" the insertion was rejected by the great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend, within the mantle of its protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mohammedan, the Hindoo and Infidel of every denomination.
-Thomas Jefferson, Autobiography, in reference to the Virginia Act for Religious Freedom

I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent.
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Francis Hopkinson, March 13, 1789

I could go on really, but like I said, you'll only post the stuff about Jefferson you actually like. By the way, the most ironic thing about your Jefferson quote? Take note that he made a particular note to say that slaves had no right to use of arms.

Thomas Jefferson Quotes

What was his postion on flame throwers, atomic weapons, LAWS rockets, chemical weapons and biological weapons?

Just wondering.

STrawman, he of course had no position on something he didn't even know would ever exist. AND I don't see very many people wanting to own those items.

BUT a clear argument could be made, and in fact I do, that although the 2nd guarantees the right to bear arms, it doesn't guarantee the right to own anything that is available. Based on my other readings of Jefferson, I would say that if he were alive today he would agree with my assessment. I would also hope that Allie doesn't think anyone should be able to own said weapons.

Too late ...

Those would be considered "arms" I do believe.

You misunderestimate Allie. The right wing loon is strong in her.

Too late ...

Batshit crazy, she is.

$yoda.jpg

Thomas Jefferson Quotes

Just wondering.
Maybe that's where that too often neglected part about a well regulated militia kicks in.

Just wondering.

Too late ...

Eh, she's just like 90% of people who don't truly understand the COTUS or the founding fathers and only want them to mean what they want them to mean. People on the left and on the right do it, doesn't make them loons, just makes them people who don't have a formal education in history. I would say the EXACT same thing applies to the "loons" who claim that the founding fathers and the COTUS don't allow Christians to practice their faith on government property, just as an example.

We could ALL use more education into what our COTUS actually means. Calling someone a loon because she has no more understanding of the document than most on here is dishonest though.

Too late ...

Batshit crazy, she is.

View attachment 10821

Again, you attack a right "loon" while never saying anything about the idiots on the left, yet you claim that you are not a partisan hack? Take the big boy shoes off Bert, they don't fit yet and you just look silly trying to walk around in them.

Again, you attack a right "loon" while never saying anything about the idiots on the left, yet you claim that you are not a partisan hack? Take the big boy shoes off Bert, they don't fit yet and you just look silly trying to walk around in them.

And once you again you try to derail yet another thread by making another personal attack against me. Do you have a crush on me Conhog? Only thing that can really explain it.

You must of missed the fact I asked TM if she/he was whacked in the head yesterday after he/she made a comment to me. A perfect example of your ignorance that continues to infect this board like a virus. Only sad part is you spread your bullshit around this board in post form faster than a virus can infect a computer.

Thomas Jefferson Quotes

Just wondering.

All should be legal. The word used is "Arms" not guns.

Considering the only arms that were really around were guns, knives and swords.

I'm not aware of it ever being interpreted as meaning every man can surround his house with cannons, even.

Forum List

Back