Jeb Bush Says He'd Back a Tax Increase to Cut the Deficit

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
Given the rigidity of the Small Tent Republicans, Jeb's deep-sixed his chances of running in 2016 now!

Former Florida Governor Jeb Bush, in a break with his party, said he could support tax increases to help reduce the federal government’s budget deficit.

The brother of former President George W. Bush told a congressional panel in Washington today that he could back a theoretical deficit-reduction package that would include $1 in tax increases for every $10 in spending cuts.

“If you could bring to me a majority of people to say that we’re going to have $10 in spending cuts for $1 of revenue enhancement -- put me in, coach,” Bush told the House Budget Committee. “This will prove I’m not running for anything,” he said, prompting laughter from lawmakers and the audience.

“I appreciate your candor,” said Representative Lloyd Doggett, a Texas Democrat who had pressed Bush on the issue. Bush later told reporters, “I don’t think you shut down every option in order to find common ground.”

Committee Chairman Paul Ryan, a Wisconsin Republican, declined to comment on Bush’s remarks.

The 10-to-1 proposal was rejected by all of the Republican presidential candidates including the presumed nominee, former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, in a debate last August on Fox News. Democrats say that shows Republicans are being unreasonable in the battle over how to reduce the deficit.

Lawmakers in Congress have fought over the deficit for more than a year in part because most Republicans have ruled out tax increases.
Grover Norquist

Bush said today that as governor he was repeatedly presented with, and rejected signing, an anti-tax pledge sponsored by Grover Norquist that most Republicans in Congress have taken.

Bush said that while he cut taxes every year he was governor, “I don’t believe you outsource your principles and convictions to people.” He said, “I respect Grover’s political involvement, he has every right to do it, but I never signed any pledge.”

Jeb Bush Says He Would Back Tax Increases to Cut Deficit - Bloomberg

A one dollar increase for a ten dolllar cut. That's what he really said.

Ha. When those cuts aren't actually reductions in projected increases in government spending, let me know. We've been through this song and dance for years now.

You really think that Norquist holds THAT much power?

Hell I could see a 10:1 ratio of cuts to taxes. Hell! Half of the revenue increase would be covered by saving on interest.

Given the rigidity of the Small Tent Republicans, Jeb's deep-sixed his chances of running in 2016 now!

Former Florida Governor Jeb Bush, in a break with his party, said he could support tax increases to help reduce the federal government’s budget deficit.

The brother of former President George W. Bush told a congressional panel in Washington today that he could back a theoretical deficit-reduction package that would include $1 in tax increases for every $10 in spending cuts.

“If you could bring to me a majority of people to say that we’re going to have $10 in spending cuts for $1 of revenue enhancement -- put me in, coach,” Bush told the House Budget Committee. “This will prove I’m not running for anything,” he said, prompting laughter from lawmakers and the audience.

“I appreciate your candor,” said Representative Lloyd Doggett, a Texas Democrat who had pressed Bush on the issue. Bush later told reporters, “I don’t think you shut down every option in order to find common ground.”

Committee Chairman Paul Ryan, a Wisconsin Republican, declined to comment on Bush’s remarks.

The 10-to-1 proposal was rejected by all of the Republican presidential candidates including the presumed nominee, former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, in a debate last August on Fox News. Democrats say that shows Republicans are being unreasonable in the battle over how to reduce the deficit.

Lawmakers in Congress have fought over the deficit for more than a year in part because most Republicans have ruled out tax increases.
Grover Norquist

Bush said today that as governor he was repeatedly presented with, and rejected signing, an anti-tax pledge sponsored by Grover Norquist that most Republicans in Congress have taken.

Bush said that while he cut taxes every year he was governor, “I don’t believe you outsource your principles and convictions to people.” He said, “I respect Grover’s political involvement, he has every right to do it, but I never signed any pledge.”

hey if they would do it, as I have said before, I would be in. but they won't.

example; charles gibson asked obama in 2008 why he would favor higher taxes if it was shown that lower taxes would gather more revenue, his answer? its a matter of fairness......you cannot argue with an ideology so set in stone. Its not economics to obama, its a moral issue.

as they say ion Shark Tank, "I'm out".

Obama Raise Taxes, Capital Gains - For Purposes of Fairness 2008 - Video Dailymotion

Jeb Bush should be hung by his balls!

Spending Cuts!
Spending Cuts!
Spending Cuts!
THEN Tax Cuts.

No more Bush tax cuts: Obama won't budge...
:cool:
On defense over Clinton statements, White House says it will not support any extension of Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest
6 June`12 - President Barack Obama will not extend the Bush-era tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans, even temporarily, past their Jan. 1 expiration, the White House said Wednesday as it coped with the fallout from comments by former President Bill Clinton.
"We should not extend—and he will not extend—the Bush-era tax cuts for the wealthiest 2 percent of the American people. It's bad policy, it's bad for the economy, it's bad for our fiscal picture," spokesman Jay Carney told reporters aboard Air Force One. Asked whether that applied to a short-term extension, Carney did not hide his irritation: "He will not—could I be more clear?—he will not support extension of the upper-income Bush tax cuts."

Carney's forceful declaration came after delighted Republicans seized on Clinton's remarks in an interview with CNBC in which he seemed to suggest that the Bush tax cuts, set to expire at year's end, be temporarily extended, which would be a sharp break from Obama. "They will probably have to put everything off until early next year," Clinton told CNBC. "That's probably the best thing to do right now. But the Republicans don't want to do that unless he agrees to extend the tax cuts permanently, including for upper income people, and I don't think the president should do that."

The White House spokesman also sought to turn the tables on Republicans, asking whether they will "force a tax hike on 98 percent of tax-paying Americans because they're holding them hostage to tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans." Carney also bristled when asked about Clinton's comment during the CNBC interview that "there's a recession"—which is defined as two quarters of negative economic growth. "You can cherry-pick the words that he said," the spokesman said. But Clinton "also referred to the current expansion. We understand—you know, you work for a news service that does a lot of economic analysis—expansion means economic growth, it is the opposite of recession," Carney said.

The offices of Republican House Speaker John Boehner and Republican Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, as well as the Republican National Committee, blasted those ambiguous words to reporters, saying that Clinton was lining up behind their position and breaking with the president. A few hours later, Clinton spokesman Matt McKenna issued a statement on the interview meant to clarify the remarks. "On extending the Bush tax cuts, as President Clinton has said many times before, he supported extending all of the cuts in 2010 as part of the budget agreement, but does not believe the tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans should be extended again," McKenna said. "In the interview, he simply said that he doubted that a long-term agreement on spending cuts and revenues would be reached until after the election," he said.

MORE

Grover Norquist

I'd love to see taxes increased on all the shitsacks who pay NOTHING.

We dont need to increase taxes. The Government takes in over 2 Trillion dollars. We need to cut spending.

Granny says dem politicians still more interested in keepin' the Bush tax cuts for the rich dan helpin' the country...
:mad:
Senate Dems balk at ending Bush-era tax rates on wealthy without a deficit deal
6/19/12 : A growing number of Senate Democrats are signaling they are not prepared to raise taxes on anyone in the weak economy unless Congress approves a grand bargain to reduce the deficit.
At least seven Democratic senators have declined to rule out supporting a temporary extension of the Bush-era income tax rates, breaking with party leaders who have called for letting the rates expire for people earning more than $1 million per year. That gives Senate Republicans a chance to push a temporary extension similar to the deal Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) struck with President Obama in December of 2010. Democrats running for reelection, such as Sens. Jon Tester (D-Mont.) and Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), have declined to endorse their leadership’s call for a tax increase on wealthy families.

Instead, they want Congress to pass a broad package that would cut spending and reform the tax code, which they argue would inject new confidence into the private sector. “I would much prefer dealing with the tax code, with all the expenditures, in a bigger package similar to the Simpson-Bowles [deficit reduction] proposal,” Tester said. “If we can do that and we can roll out a big package that is significant, then we can do something with the tax rate from a reforming-it standpoint and do some things that really get our deficit and debt under control.”

Manchin sounded the same theme. “I’m totally for the Bowles-Simpson [plan] and will continue to work for Bowles-Simpson. We need to revamp the system and I think Bowles-Simpson is the pragmatic way to do it.” The blueprint crafted by former White House Chief of Staff Erskine Bowles and former Sen. Alan Simpson (R-Wyo.) would achieve $4 trillion in savings over 10 years through spending cuts and tax code reform. Bowles and former Sen. Judd Gregg (R-N.H.) are scheduled to brief a bipartisan group of senators this week on the need for a broad deficit-reduction package.

But many lawmakers are skeptical that a multitrillion-dollar entitlement and tax reform package can be passed during the compressed lame-duck session between Election Day and New Year’s. The most tempting option for some Democrats would be to extend the Bush tax rates temporarily to give Congress more time to work on a broader deal, which is what congressional Republican leaders have proposed. Extending all income tax rates for only one year would undercut the Democratic leadership’s plan to use their imminent expiration as leverage to move Republicans to accept some tax increases.

MORE

The majority of Republicans think that the lower the tax rate the more government revenue.

Did someone drop Jeb on his head and make him slightly sensible?

Perhaps.

But if a liberal like Romney can win the GOP nomination, why not Jeb!?

The majority of Republicans think that the lower the tax rate the more government revenue.

Did someone drop Jeb on his head and make him slightly sensible?

He also knows the majority of voters aren’t krazycons. Losing in 2012 might likely make a majority of republicans sensible.

Jeb Bush should be hung by his balls!

Spending Cuts!
Spending Cuts!
Spending Cuts!
THEN Tax Cuts.

Yup. some rich douchebag might have to go without a polo pony if he doesn't get his six-figure tax break.

Get real.

We need to do both- Tax increases and spending cuts. But neither is going to be politically popular.

Jeb is showing he's one of the few adults left in the room in the GOP.

NO we dont need tax increases.
The "one dollar of tax increases for 5 dollars of spending cuts" formula is a fail. Reagan agreed to that with the Dems and never got spending cuts. Spending cuts never materialize. Tax increases do.
Jeb Bush is currently the...um...oh...right. Jeb Bush is nothing. An ex governor. Like Jim McGreevey or something. Who cares what he says?

Grover Norquist

hey if they would do it, as I have said before, I would be in. but they won't.

example; charles gibson asked obama in 2008 why he would favor higher taxes if it was shown that lower taxes would gather more revenue, his answer? its a matter of fairness......you cannot argue with an ideology so set in stone. Its not economics to obama, its a moral issue.

as they say ion Shark Tank, "I'm out".

Obama Raise Taxes, Capital Gains - For Purposes of Fairness 2008 - Video Dailymotion

Obama sees higher taxes as a form of needed punishment, not a road to a balanced budget.

NO we dont need tax increases.
The "one dollar of tax increases for 5 dollars of spending cuts" formula is a fail. Reagan agreed to that with the Dems and never got spending cuts. Spending cuts never materialize. Tax increases do.
Jeb Bush is currently the...um...oh...right. Jeb Bush is nothing. An ex governor. Like Jim McGreevey or something. Who cares what he says?

MItt Romney is an ex-Governor, too.

But Jeb actually got elected to his governorship more than once. Unlike Romney.

Perhaps you meant to say that the majority of informed people know that each and every time we have implemented a Federal tax cut, Federal tax receipts went on to record highs.

Each and every time.

Is that what you meant to say, or do you not have the slightest idea of what you are talking about on this subject?

Forum List

Back