Jeb Bush Says He'd Back a Tax Increase to Cut the Deficit

NO we dont need tax increases.
The "one dollar of tax increases for 5 dollars of spending cuts" formula is a fail. Reagan agreed to that with the Dems and never got spending cuts. Spending cuts never materialize. Tax increases do.
Jeb Bush is currently the...um...oh...right. Jeb Bush is nothing. An ex governor. Like Jim McGreevey or something. Who cares what he says?

MItt Romney is an ex-Governor, too.

But Jeb actually got elected to his governorship more than once. Unlike Romney.

Mitt Romney is the presumed nominee for the GOP party.
Jeb Bush is what again?

The majority of Republicans think that the lower the tax rate the more government revenue.

Perhaps you meant to say that the majority of informed people know that each and every time we have implemented a Federal tax cut, Federal tax receipts went on to record highs.

Each and every time.

Is that what you meant to say, or do you not have the slightest idea of what you are talking about on this subject?

NOt really true, but you keep telling yourself that because I know you really need to believe it.

The Laffer Curve has been debunked by most sensible economists.

the majority of republicans think that the lower the tax rate the more government revenue.

perhaps you meant to say that the majority of informed people know that each and every time we have implemented a federal tax cut, federal tax receipts went on to record highs.

Each and every time.

Is that what you meant to say, or do you not have the slightest idea of what you are talking about on this subject?

not really true

lol

Jeb is showing he's one of the few adults left in the room in the GOP.

Bingo. And I'm sure he's gonna pay for it.

I'm being an optimist. I'm hoping after Romney gets taken to the woodshed in November (and he will be), the GOP will start confronting their own inner crazies.

I still think Jeb's biggest liability is that he has the last name of Bush. But it might also be his biggest asset.

Let me tell you about Jeb Bush, and I live in Florida, and have been watching him since the 80s.

1. Jeb Bush is not conservative. He's a big time NeoCon and RINO of the first order It isn't because of this call to increase taxes, it's because of his history.

2. Besides all that, Jeb Bush is a crook and a crooked politician. Some of you may be too young to remember but there was a huge savings and loan scandal in south Florida back in the 80s. Jeb Bush made a bajillion dollars, a bajillion people lost their life savings. A few people went to jail but not Mr.Bush. His daddy was POTUS so he came away rich and squeeky clean.

3. It's true that it isn't really raising taxes alone that he wants. Everyone of my fellow conservatives who posted previously are right. But this recent statement and his statements of the past few weeks, are typical. It was because of his actions his whole career that I had hates the Bushes. It was only the douchebags that the Dems put up against GWB that gave me a reason to vote for him.

No one should ever pay any attention to anything Jeb Bush says, ever.

Laffer Curve Debunked.

If there's one thing that economists agree on, it's that these claims are false. We're not talking just ivory-tower lefties. Virtually every economics Ph.D. who has worked in a prominent role in the Bush Administration acknowledges that the tax cuts enacted during the past six years have not paid for themselves--and were never intended to. Harvard professor Greg Mankiw, chairman of Bush's Council of Economic Advisers from 2003 to 2005, even devotes a section of his best-selling economics textbook to debunking the claim that tax cuts increase revenues.

Read more: Tax Cuts Don't Boost Revenues - TIME

You really think that Norquist holds THAT much power?

Hell I could see a 10:1 ratio of cuts to taxes. Hell! Half of the revenue increase would be covered by saving on interest.

That's funny, because every Republican candidate was asked that exact question a few months back and every one of them said they wouldn't support 10:1 cuts to taxes.

Jeb is showing he's one of the few adults left in the room in the GOP.

Bingo. And I'm sure he's gonna pay for it.

I'm being an optimist. I'm hoping after Romney gets taken to the woodshed in November (and he will be), the GOP will start confronting their own inner crazies.

Precisely. Once the crazies are marginalized we may see the paralysis that's killing us end.

Of course, then it will be the Democrats' turn to be controlled by THEIR crazies.

No. Stop. Don't think that.

NOT what Jeb Bush said.
Bush said he would consider tax hikes at about 5-10% of what spending cuts would be to go along WITH FUCKING SPENDING CUTS.
Big difference.
When government plunders Peter to pay the moocher Paul, government can always count on the vote of Paul.

Why would Lefty want the rich to pay less in taxes, by the way?

RIch-Pay-More-Under-Bush-Tax-Cut.jpg

You really think that Norquist holds THAT much power?

Hell I could see a 10:1 ratio of cuts to taxes. Hell! Half of the revenue increase would be covered by saving on interest.

That's funny, because every Republican candidate was asked that exact question a few months back and every one of them said they wouldn't support 10:1 cuts to taxes.

Because history has shown Democrats are liars.
They NEVER cut spending.

Given the rigidity of the Small Tent Republicans, Jeb's deep-sixed his chances of running in 2016 now!

Former Florida Governor Jeb Bush, in a break with his party, said he could support tax increases to help reduce the federal government’s budget deficit.

The brother of former President George W. Bush told a congressional panel in Washington today that he could back a theoretical deficit-reduction package that would include $1 in tax increases for every $10 in spending cuts.

“If you could bring to me a majority of people to say that we’re going to have $10 in spending cuts for $1 of revenue enhancement -- put me in, coach,” Bush told the House Budget Committee. “This will prove I’m not running for anything,” he said, prompting laughter from lawmakers and the audience.

“I appreciate your candor,” said Representative Lloyd Doggett, a Texas Democrat who had pressed Bush on the issue. Bush later told reporters, “I don’t think you shut down every option in order to find common ground.”

Committee Chairman Paul Ryan, a Wisconsin Republican, declined to comment on Bush’s remarks.

The 10-to-1 proposal was rejected by all of the Republican presidential candidates including the presumed nominee, former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, in a debate last August on Fox News. Democrats say that shows Republicans are being unreasonable in the battle over how to reduce the deficit.

Lawmakers in Congress have fought over the deficit for more than a year in part because most Republicans have ruled out tax increases.
Grover Norquist

Bush said today that as governor he was repeatedly presented with, and rejected signing, an anti-tax pledge sponsored by Grover Norquist that most Republicans in Congress have taken.

Bush said that while he cut taxes every year he was governor, “I don’t believe you outsource your principles and convictions to people.” He said, “I respect Grover’s political involvement, he has every right to do it, but I never signed any pledge.”

Jeb Bush Says He Would Back Tax Increases to Cut Deficit - Bloomberg

hey if they would do it, as I have said before, I would be in. but they won't.

example; charles gibson asked obama in 2008 why he would favor higher taxes if it was shown that lower taxes would gather more revenue, his answer? its a matter of fairness......you cannot argue with an ideology so set in stone. Its not economics to obama, its a moral issue.

as they say ion Shark Tank, "I'm out".

Obama Raise Taxes, Capital Gains - For Purposes of Fairness 2008 - Video Dailymotion

When the government can demonstrate that they can act like responsible adults with other people's money, I'm up for paying more to pay off the deficit. Unfortunately, there is more chance of Hell freezing over.

The majority of Republicans think that the lower the tax rate the more government revenue.

Perhaps you meant to say that the majority of informed people know that each and every time we have implemented a Federal tax cut, Federal tax receipts went on to record highs.

Each and every time.

False causality.

Real GDP per capita has risen about 2% per year for most of the past 150 years no matter what the tax regime. Therefore, tax revenue will have always eventually reached new highs.

Greg Mankiw, Bush's chair for the Council of Economic Advisors, calculated that each $1 cut in income taxes reduced government revenues by 83 cents, meaning there was a positive marginal effect but a negative absolute one. Cutting some corporate taxes appears to generate more tax revenue but it is absolute fiction that cutting income tax rates does so in this country, except perhaps from very high levels.

NOT what Jeb Bush said.
Bush said he would consider tax hikes at about 5-10% of what spending cuts would be to go along WITH FUCKING SPENDING CUTS.
Big difference.
When government plunders Peter to pay the moocher Paul, government can always count on the vote of Paul.

Remember when all the Republican candidates raised their hands on stage when asked if they would oppose a deal that would raise taxes by $1 for every $9 in cuts?

Yes, Bush said exactly that he would raise taxes.

Last edited:

Each and every time.

False causality.

Real GDP per capita has risen about 2% per year for most of the past 150 years no matter what the tax regime.

Nice attempt at obfuscation, but fail. Notice you said 'most.'

Real GDP had stalled or fallen (recession) in the year(s) prior to the Federal tax cuts being used to unleash the private sector.

The purpose of cutting taxes on the rich was to drive the economy.

Worked when Coolidge did it.

Worked when JFK did it.

Worked when Reagan did it.

Worked when Bush did it.

Those are the facts. Deal with it.

New Topics

Forum List

Back