James Webb space telescope. 10 billion dollars, wasted in space.

I hear that the James Webb space telescope cost 10 billion dollars to make. When will this throwing money away on these space projects end.? We keeps spending money on these Mars rovers, exploring a dead planet, now we have just wasted 10 billion dollars on this James Webb telescope. People are still starving here on Earth, in Afghanistan, and Ethiopia. When will this wasting money in insignificant space exploration going to end? Your thoughts.
I'd rather cut defense, we don't need another arms race and this one we can't win. Space might be very useful if and when we end up destroying this planet.

I dont have a problem with exploring space with unmanned spacecraft but we really need to find out how we can reach speeds that will make real space travel possible.
If we cant crack that nut we aren't going anywhere.
I guess the other option would be suspended animation. But we aren't any closer to that then we are to breaking the speed of light.
I think we're trying to. In the early '80s, I interviewed for a job at Lockheed in Silicon Valley. It was top secret, so I was told, "I can't tell you what you'll be doing, but you'll love it." However, hyperspace was mentioned. I withdrew from consideration 'cause I didn't want the restrictions such a high security clearance would involve.

I think we're trying to. In the early '80s, I interviewed for a job at Lockheed in Silicon Valley. It was top secret, so I was told, "I can't tell you what you'll be doing, but you'll love it." However, hyperspace was mentioned. I withdrew from consideration 'cause I didn't want the restrictions such a high security clearance would involve.
And that was in the 80's, imagine what they're doing now.

Where are we going?, we can not live on Mars, the atmosphere is to thin, and there is just to much radiation. Where are you going to live, there is nothing on the Moon, no water no air. What is this insane notion about going somewhere else other than the Earth?! Where are we going? and for what reason.? This space exploration is insane, and a waste of money, that could be better spent right here on Earth helping people on Earth that need help.
Eventually a super volcano will blow up, a large rock will smack the earth or we will have one hell of a nuclear war. Some may survive but it will seem like the Middle Ages if not the Stone Age. Putting all your eggs in one basket is a bad plan.

We need to move out and occupy the moon or another planet to insure our civilization survives. If we have self sufficient colonies on the Moon and Mars chances are that no matter what happens mankind will survive.

But you make a good points about the Moon and Mars. They are not exactly the most hospitable environments.

The solution … go underground.

Sure we can spend trillions on programs here on Earth and 50 years from now we will still have the same problems but there will be a bunch of very rich people who corruptly profited from those programs.

Are some of you people reading what you are posting? "Suspended animation" "Speed of light"
"unravelling the universe" it all sounds crazy. How does all that quackery improve our lives here on the Earth.?Many of you grown people need to get your heads examined! We can not exist in space or on any world where there is no water or oxygen.!!

I hear that the James Webb space telescope cost 10 billion dollars to make. When will this throwing money away on these space projects end.? We keeps spending money on these Mars rovers, exploring a dead planet, now we have just wasted 10 billion dollars on this James Webb telescope. People are still starving here on Earth, in Afghanistan, and Ethiopia. When will this wasting money in insignificant space exploration going to end? Your thoughts.
Our exploration will never end, I hope.

It is part of man's nature and definitely part of his future.
People who say we can't live off the Earth show a lack of imagination. There may be no air on the Moon but there is plenty of oxygen locked in the rocks there. It may be that we never live there permanently or in great numbers but it is a place to start. If we ever get the technology for a space elevator, the Moon is a great candidate.

Starving is the direct result of people overbreeding and not giving a shit about their kids. Don't send food---send birth control.

Starving is the direct result of people overbreeding and not giving a shit about their kids. Don't send food---send birth control.
No one on this planet is addressing overpopulation and that's the elephant in the room that's the problem that's driving all our current problems and it's only going to get worse.

Are some of you people reading what you are posting? "Suspended animation" "Speed of light"
"unravelling the universe" it all sounds crazy. How does all that quackery improve our lives here on the Earth.?Many of you grown people need to get your heads examined! We can not exist in space or on any world where there is no water or oxygen.!!
do you realize how much science has advanced because of the space program?....

People who say we can't live off the Earth show a lack of imagination. There may be no air on the Moon but there is plenty of oxygen locked in the rocks there. It may be that we never live there permanently or in great numbers but it is a place to start. If we ever get the technology for a space elevator, the Moon is a great candidate.
An equatorial elevator would greatly reduce the payload costs, but would take an immense investment and be the most complicated human engineering effort.
images (33).jpeg

Humans venturing into space is an inevitable, the OP lacks imagination and vision and has created this thread a dozen times.

No one on this planet is addressing overpopulation and that's the elephant in the room that's the problem that's driving all our current problems and it's only going to get worse.
What overpopulation? This planet can support billions more, all that's needed is the will to allow it to happen.

Space technology will also lead to us eventually mining resources from comets and asteroids. That's going to solve a lot of resource issues we have here on Earth.
Perhaps.

That seems to be speculation. There has been other speculation as well, for the past thirty years. . .

I have heard that a lot of clean energy tech is being purposely suppressed, patents have been bought up and shelved for decades, or only used by governments, for. . . reasons, which I will not get into.

If that were, er. . . released, then, desalinization of sea water would be possible. A lot of folks have no idea how many tons of resources would be unlocked from ocean water were it to be processed with unlimited free energy. . .

That would be much cheaper than mining comets and asteroids. And? IMO, there are very powerful folks that know all of this, but they don't want to have a planet with this many people benefiting from that. . . . it would be a threat to the natural world. So they need to limit growth, or even start to decrease the population before they release that genie from that bottle first.

They are already approaching the time, when, they will be able to extend human life, and youth, much longer than most folks would ever imagine. So, obviously, they believe more control needs to be exerted over society before they can release that tech. And old sources of energy are running low. . . .

That's why we take them with us and make them when we get there.

So 40 years ago and we still havent cracked that nut.
I'm sure we will someday though. It sure would be cool to still be around to see it come to fruition and being used in an actual spacecraft.

Forum List

Back