Jackie Robinson in 1972: ‘I Cannot Stand and Sing the Anthem; I Cannot Salute the Flag’

Last edited:
  • Banned
I think it's because hes black and he was discriminated against. Yes, people think that qualifies him for the "great american" title. I've got nothing against the guy, but calling him a great American is a stretch.

He broke the race barrier in baseball, I was fortunate to have seen him play in the early 50's in brooklyn

I think it's because hes black and he was discriminated against. Yes, people think that qualifies him for the "great american" title. I've got nothing against the guy, but calling him a great American is a stretch.

Just like many thing being black or having a vagina makes one qualified to be President.

He broke the race barrier in baseball, I was fortunate to have seen him play in the early 50's in brooklyn

That doesn't automatically make him a great American?

Being able to play a sport makes someone a great American?
I second this.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

My post, asked as a question, meant that being able to play a sport didn't make someone a great American. Is that what you agree with?

I apply the same concept to people that were sports stars running for office. It doesn't make one qualified only recognized and many people vote solely on name recognition or because the person played/coached a team they liked.

There was a movie with Eddie Murphy that came out 20 years ago where his character, as part of trying to run a scam in order to get rich in office, ran and won. He won because of name recognition. It was called The Distinguished Gentleman.

Last edited:
^^^ I would have asked the same question that you asked. What difference does it really make at the end of the day if a person is good in sports or not?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Kaepernick_Income_inequality_National_Anthem.jpg

I'm not bothered by his not standing, it's not the first time in my lifetime that an athlete has done this. This is America, it's his right.

I do, however, take exception to John Legend describing it as a "weak" song. IT'S NOT A SONG! It's a poem some jack-hole put to music... It was never meant to be sung.

I'm not bothered by his not standing, it's not the first time in my lifetime that an athlete has done this. This is America, it's his right.

I do, however, take exception to John Legend describing it as a "weak" song. IT'S NOT A SONG! It's a poem some jack-hole put to music... It was never meant to be sung.
Sung to the tune of an old English pub song......

In the 50's? Good that means one of your racist kind will be gone soon.

In the 50's? Good that means one of your racist kind will be gone soon.

If you do the math, that's at least 65 years old plus whatever number of years he was at the time in order to be able to remember something like that.

Forum List

Back