Zone1 I've Reached That Point Where I Have To Place My Wife In A Assisted Living Facility Focusing On Memory Treatment

i am so sorry to hear that...you are beginning a hard long road...my mother lasted 10 years with dementia ...

Did it cost $480,000? $4,000 per month x 12 months x 10 years = $480,000.00

What do middle class and poor people do in this situation? My dad has Parkinson’s and dementia. It is only going to get worse. If he sold his house we’d probably get $150,000. His Social Security is only $1,364 a month. That would be $313,680. Who would pay the additional $166,320?

What do middle class and poor people do in this situation? My dad has Parkinson’s and dementia. It is only going to get worse. If he sold his house we’d probably get $150,000. His Social Security is only $1,364 a month. That would be $313,680. Who would pay the additional $166,320?

In a situation like that the assets are sold to cover the Medicare costs, which they almost never do, and then the government takes over.

I hope all is well with you mudwhistle.

From what I recall you are a midwesterner.....which would mean you are pretty proud and self-reliant.

Please allow people to provide support where they can. There is so much you have to shoulder.

All the best.

I hope all is well with you mudwhistle.

From what I recall you are a midwesterner.....which would mean you are pretty proud and self-reliant.

Please allow people to provide support where they can. There is so much you have to shoulder.

All the best.
I'm from Montana.

My wife is from L.A.

Lower Alabama.

We met in San Diego CA.....go figure.

I had some life care insurance that paid for a few years...3 and 1/2 to be exact...i was lucky my mother estate could cover the costs...i will admit i was shocked when the clerk of court mentioned i had spend over a 1/2 million taking care of her...it was her money...period...

i think in some places they accept ss as payment

I started a new supplement regiment with Elouise and the difference was almost immediate.

A couple of days ago she was babbling, but today she's like she was a couple of years ago. She can't remember things too well but now she's communicating with me normally.

I have her on 5000 IU Vitamin D,
1 cap Prevagen,
2 caps MSM & Vitamin C
2 caps ea of "Balance Of Nature" Red and Green
I also have her off of the caffeine in her coffee
She's also taking 5 mg of Amlodinpine for high blood pressure

I've been talking to everyone and they told me the problem is just as much mine as it is her's.
She can't help what she does....so I have to let everything slide off my back like water on a duck.
Negativity has to be washed away.
No scary movies.
No news about Joe Biden.
Just Happy Happy Joy Joy.

I worked on an Emergency Psychiatric Unit for years until I finally burned out from overwork and trying to change realities.
A person who is determined to commit suicide will find some way to do so.

It took that work experience to learn that it's impossible to care for someone else unless you take good care of yourself.
That means avoiding negative people, topics, and other things that drag anybody down.

I no longer watch "the news" when I eat breakfast at sunrise but eat were I can see my birdfeeders and watch the chipmunks, birds, deer, and, of course, the squirrels while I make myself eat slowly.

Because my Mom is in her 90s, in chronic pain and is rapidly loosing weight she has different medication requirements.

I'm also very lucky to have my very supportive and helpful wife, brother and sisters in law.
I hope that you, too, have positive and helpful people to help you.

Meanwhile, try to listen to Bobby McFerrin's song: "Don't Worry, Be Happy".
I know that may sound silly but it's just one thing that helped when I was in dark places in life.

Best of luck,

It's going to cost me roughly $4000/mo to put my wife in a clean and safe facility so that she can live out her last years in an environment that is conducive for her health and mine.

Today I felt like I was gonna have a heart attack.

I think I've found a place about 3 miles away from my house. A place I've driven by often.

We'll see how everything turns out.....but I'm just about at the end of my rope.

I can’t imagine how that must feel.

The emotional toll.

Forum List

Back