I've fallen and I can't get up.

If she's still that active, just a cell phone is probably fine. Wait until she really starts losing it. Take her car keys when she starts banging into things trying to get turned around and gets lost coming come.
I'm lucky to get her to take her cell phone with her when she goes out. If anyone wants to talk to her when she is at home, they can use the land line. Her cell phone remains unanswered on the charger in her bedroom. Did I mention she is set in her ways, and isn't much interested in what others might think she should do?

I'm lucky to get her to take her cell phone with her when she goes out. If anyone wants to talk to her when she is at home, they can use the land line. Her cell phone remains unanswered on the charger in her bedroom. Did I mention she is set in her ways, and isn't much interested in what others might think she should do?
Me too. I wouldn't wear a Life Alert. The expert (my wife) agrees. Probably a waste of money. Would she rather die at home, in a hospital, or on the way to a hospital?

Me too. I wouldn't wear a Life Alert. The expert (my wife) agrees. Probably a waste of money. Would she rather die at home, in a hospital, or on the way to a hospital?
Dying is something we will all have to face. Laying there suffering because nobody knows you fell is the problem we want to avoid.

Dying is something we will all have to face. Laying there suffering because nobody knows you fell is the problem we want to avoid.
Her choice so long as she's not officially found incompetent, even if you otherwise have power of attorney. So ask her. Whatever others believe should be done doesn't matter. What she's doing at 94 is amazing. Let her enjoy her ongoing freedom as long as possible. She most likely won't outlive you. Prepare yourself to let her go with as much dignity as possible by letting her decide these things while she still can. Then you can both rest in peace.

Her choice so long as she's not officially found incompetent, even if you otherwise have power of attorney. So ask her. Whatever others believe should be done doesn't matter. What she's doing at 94 is amazing. Let her enjoy her ongoing freedom as long as possible. She most likely won't outlive you. Prepare yourself to let her go with as much dignity as possible by letting her decide these things while she still can. Then you can both rest in peace.
Of course it's her choice. It's my choice to nag her if she doesn't do it. She wouldn't be as independent as she is if her children didn't give her a little help now and then, and she's smart enough to know we encourage her independence. There have always been little disagreements. They get worked out.

I could tell you stories.

Dying at home, in bed, under the care of hospice with your family around is one thing.

Dying at home alone, after lying in a painful delirium on the floor for 4 days with a broken hip is another thing

As someone mentioned, life alert is only effective if one truly wears it 24/7. The old people tend to take it off at times they’re most likely to fall. Like in the shower.

I could tell you stories.

Dying at home, in bed, under the care of hospice with your family around is one thing.

Dying at home alone, after lying in a painful delirium on the floor for 4 days with a broken hip is another thing

As someone mentioned, life alert is only effective if one truly wears it 24/7. The old people tend to take it off at times they’re most likely to fall. Like in the shower.
I'm well aware.

Forum List

Back