It's supposed to be the storm of the century here on the Oregon Coast..

Being without power isn't a big deal if you have a wood stove. It's a much bigger deal if you don't.

We lost power during the last major winter blizzard - we have a woodstove, but our water is well water, and of course, it froze. Totally sucked. I can deal without power for a few days, but the water issue is what really gets to me. We have a generator now.

A double seater outhouse? That's first cabin all the way!
I have used an outhouse at -20. Not an experiance I ever want to repeat.

Loss of electricity is not bad if one has an alternative heat source. Such as wood or propane. A small generator to keep the refrig and freezer going, a couple of led lights. We have a huge inventory of camping gear from many years of involvement with the Boy Scouts, and many expeditions to look at geology in the back country of Oregon, Idaho, Washington and Montana. So cooking and that sort of thing is not a problem.

Really, anyone living in Oregon and Washington should have emergency cooking gear, and at least enough basic food and drinking water for two weeks. For sure, sometime, we are going to get hit with that subduction quake.

we were hauling water from a ditch. We always had hot water on the stove. We did have an old hand pump but it froze too. Gets tricky with livestock....but they had the ditch and we had water in the lower pasture from the river for them.

Really, anyone living in Oregon and Washington should have emergency cooking gear, and at least enough basic food and drinking water for two weeks.
I've got camping stuff so can survive but you can't beat a fully functioning range. It's the nights that suck without power. Get dark quick up here too, like 4:30pm so you have a lot of lantern time to deal with.

Electricity is the single biggest change for mankind.

Forum List

Back