It's Okay because The Other Party Does It Too!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by IndependntLogic, May 30, 2012.

1. IndependntLogic

IndependntLogic Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +399
    One thing I've noticed in both LibDems and ConservaRepubs is the penchant to excuse even the most heinous acts performed by politicians - as long as it is THEIR politicians performing them. This was true (and remains true) about Bush. He was caught red-handed violating our most sacred laws. They very things that make us a great country. But to this day, Republicans will cry "Well yeah, he may have violated the 4th, 6th and 8th amendments but it's okay if our country is no different than Iraq under Saddam or N. Korea because you know, he was Republican! It's OBAMA who is the bad guy because um, HE CONTINUED DOING IT!" Which would be laughable if it wasn't so sad.
    The LibDems are no different. The same people who screamed about Bush violating the 6th amendment are giving Obama a free pass for signing legislation (NDAA) that completely eradicates it!
    Wake up people. The politicians have become so masterful at manipulating us against each other, we don't hold them to the same standards as we would a normal citizen. As leaders, they should be held to a HIGHER standard, not excused for exemplifying the worst among us. The people who get my attention, whether in a discussion or on the national scene, are those willing to hold their OWN party to the same or higher standards than their opponents. There are a couple of Republican and at least one Democrat congressmen who are VERY good about that. Kay Bailey Hutchison used to be that way but has been silenced into conformity over the last few years. But it is We the People who SHOULD be the loudest voices when saying "Hey! You can't do that! If you do, we're no better than the other guys!"
    Sadly, most of the voices I hear nowadays are saying "Well SURE what we're doing is horrible but it's okay because um, well look what THEY did!" And we wonder why things don't get better in this country...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Dr.Drock

Dr.Drock Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +940
    After reading your error-filled anti free market post I can't believe I'm reading something of yours that I agree with 100%.

Perfectly stated, rep'd

3. eflatminor

eflatminor Classical Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
    Agreed.

Of course, you don't see that from Libertarians. Just sayin'...:eusa_angel:

4. asaratis

asaratis Uppity Senior Citizen Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,531
    There's not a dime's worth of difference between Republicans and Democrats.....George Wallace

5. eflatminor

eflatminor Classical Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
    "I think it might be important to point out that this country is a one-party country. Half of that party is called Republican and half is called Democrat. It doesnÂ’t make any difference. All the really good ideas belong to the Libertarians." Hugh Downs

6. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    If the Libertarians would grow up and recognize their absolutely breathtakingly dangerous foreign policies, they might stand a chance of competing with tweedle dee and tweedle dum.

7. Leweman

Leweman Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +737
    It's true there are more similarities than differences between the two parties. That's why we shouldn't have parties, just individuals.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. The T

The T George S. Patton Party Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    What USED TO BE A REPUBLIC RUN BY TYRANTS
    Ratings:
    +5,502
    I'll buy that. Parties are for suckers. Individualism and principle are IT.

9. M14 Shooter

M14 Shooter The Light of Truth

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,493
    This is news - do tell.

10. The T

The T George S. Patton Party Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    What USED TO BE A REPUBLIC RUN BY TYRANTS
    Ratings:
    +5,502
    Indeed. I know alot of them don't enjoy foreign entanglements...but sometimes? They are necessary for Liberty and commerce.