It's not over ... In Private, Republicans Admit They Acquitted Trump Out of fear

They fear slander, scorn, and mockery from Donald Trump and fear the Trump howling mob.

It's true. GOP Senators handed their testicles to the cloakroom attendant on the way to the Senate impeachment.

Then they lost their will and their way and have stumbled into the wilderness like sheep led by Judas goat Mitch McConnell.

The question now is whether there will be more revelations that will exemplify the cowardice of the GOP Senators in the face of compelling evidence of impeachable offenses by Donald Trump.

How much evidence and exposure of Trump's dirty deeds is yet to emerge?

Opinion | In Private, Republicans Admit They Acquitted Trump Out of Fear

In Private, Republicans Admit They Acquitted Trump Out of Fear
One journalist remarked to me, “How in the world can these senators walk around here upright when they have no backbone?”

By Sherrod Brown
Mr. Brown is a Democratic senator from Ohio.

Feb. 5, 2020

In the United States Senate, like in many spheres of life, fear does the business.

Think back to the fall of 2002, just a few weeks before that year’s crucial midterm elections, when the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq was up for a vote. A year after the 9/11 attacks, hundreds of members of the House and the Senate were about to face the voters of a country still traumatized by terrorism.

Senator Patty Murray, a thoughtful Democrat from Washington State, still remembers “the fear that dominated the Senate leading up to the Iraq war.”

“You could feel it then,” she told me, “and you can feel that fear now” — chiefly among Senate Republicans.

For those of us who, from the start, questioned the wisdom of the Iraq war, our sense of isolation surely wasn’t much different from the loneliness felt in the 1950s by Senator Herbert Lehman of New York, who confronted Joe McCarthy’s demagogy only to be abandoned by so many of his colleagues. Nor was it so different from what Senator George McGovern must have felt when he announced his early opposition to the Vietnam War and was then labeled a traitor by many inside and outside of Congress.

... Robert Kennedy spoke of how “moral courage is a rarer commodity than bravery in battle.” ...

...Fear has a way of bending us.

Late in the evening on day four of the trial I saw it, just 10 feet across the aisle from my seat at Desk 88, when Mr. Schiff told the Senate: “CBS News reported last night that a Trump confidant said that Republican senators were warned, ‘Vote against the president and your head will be on a pike.’” The response from Republicans was immediate and furious. Several groaned and protested and muttered, “Not true.” But pike or no pike, Mr. Schiff had clearly struck a nerve. (In the words of Lizzo: truth hurts.)

Of course, the Republican senators who have covered for Mr. Trump love what he delivers for them. But Vice President Mike Pence would give them the same judges, the same tax cuts, the same attacks on workers’ rights and the environment. So that’s not really the reason for their united chorus of “not guilty.”

For the stay-in-office-at-all-cost representatives and senators, fear is the motivator. They are afraid that Mr. Trump might give them a nickname like “Low Energy Jeb” and “Lyin’ Ted,” or that he might tweet about their disloyalty. Or — worst of all — that he might come to their state to campaign against them in the Republican primary. They worry:

“Will the hosts on Fox attack me?”

“Will the mouthpieces on talk radio go after me?”

“Will the Twitter trolls turn their followers against me?”

My colleagues know they all just might. There’s an old Russian proverb: The tallest blade of grass is the first cut by the scythe. In private, many of my colleagues agree that the president is reckless and unfit. They admit his lies. And they acknowledge what he did was wrong. They know this president has done things Richard Nixon never did. And they know that more damning evidence is likely to come out.

So watching the mental contortions they perform to justify their votes is painful to behold: They claim that calling witnesses would have meant a never-ending trial. They tell us they’ve made up their minds, so why would we need new evidence? They say to convict this president now would lead to the impeachment of every future president — as if every president will try to sell our national security to the highest bidder.

I have asked some of them, “If the Senate votes to acquit, what will you do to keep this president from getting worse?” Their responses have been shrugs and sheepish looks.

They stop short of explicitly saying that they are afraid. We all want to think that we always stand up for right and fight against wrong. But history does not look kindly on politicians who cannot fathom a fate worse than losing an upcoming election. They might claim fealty to their cause — those tax cuts — but often it’s a simple attachment to power that keeps them captured.

As Senator Murray said on the Senate floor in 2002, “We can act out of fear” or “we can stick to our principles.” Unfortunately, in this Senate, fear has had its way. In November, the American people will have theirs.
GOP= SPINELESS

They fear slander, scorn, and mockery from Donald Trump and fear the Trump howling mob.

It's true. GOP Senators handed their testicles to the cloakroom attendant on the way to the Senate impeachment.

Then they lost their will and their way and have stumbled into the wilderness like sheep led by Judas goat Mitch McConnell.

The question now is whether there will be more revelations that will exemplify the cowardice of the GOP Senators in the face of compelling evidence of impeachable offenses by Donald Trump.

One journalist remarked to me, “How in the world can these senators walk around here upright when they have no backbone?”

By Sherrod Brown

Feb. 5, 2020

In the United States Senate, like in many spheres of life, fear does the business.

Think back to the fall of 2002, just a few weeks before that year’s crucial midterm elections, when the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq was up for a vote. A year after the 9/11 attacks, hundreds of members of the House and the Senate were about to face the voters of a country still traumatized by terrorism.

Senator Patty Murray, a thoughtful Democrat from Washington State, still remembers “the fear that dominated the Senate leading up to the Iraq war.”

“You could feel it then,” she told me, “and you can feel that fear now” — chiefly among Senate Republicans.

For those of us who, from the start, questioned the wisdom of the Iraq war, our sense of isolation surely wasn’t much different from the loneliness felt in the 1950s by Senator Herbert Lehman of New York, who confronted Joe McCarthy’s demagogy only to be abandoned by so many of his colleagues. Nor was it so different from what Senator George McGovern must have felt when he announced his early opposition to the Vietnam War and was then labeled a traitor by many inside and outside of Congress.

... Robert Kennedy spoke of how “moral courage is a rarer commodity than bravery in battle.” ...

Late in the evening on day four of the trial I saw it, just 10 feet across the aisle from my seat at Desk 88, when Mr. Schiff told the Senate: “CBS News reported last night that a Trump confidant said that Republican senators were warned, ‘Vote against the president and your head will be on a pike.’” The response from Republicans was immediate and furious. Several groaned and protested and muttered, “Not true.” But pike or no pike, Mr. Schiff had clearly struck a nerve. (In the words of Lizzo: truth hurts.)

Of course, the Republican senators who have covered for Mr. Trump love what he delivers for them. But Vice President Mike Pence would give them the same judges, the same tax cuts, the same attacks on workers’ rights and the environment. So that’s not really the reason for their united chorus of “not guilty.”

For the stay-in-office-at-all-cost representatives and senators, fear is the motivator. They are afraid that Mr. Trump might give them a nickname like “Low Energy Jeb” and “Lyin’ Ted,” or that he might tweet about their disloyalty. Or — worst of all — that he might come to their state to campaign against them in the Republican primary. They worry:

My colleagues know they all just might. There’s an old Russian proverb: The tallest blade of grass is the first cut by the scythe. In private, many of my colleagues agree that the president is reckless and unfit. They admit his lies. And they acknowledge what he did was wrong. They know this president has done things Richard Nixon never did. And they know that more damning evidence is likely to come out.

So watching the mental contortions they perform to justify their votes is painful to behold: They claim that calling witnesses would have meant a never-ending trial. They tell us they’ve made up their minds, so why would we need new evidence? They say to convict this president now would lead to the impeachment of every future president — as if every president will try to sell our national security to the highest bidder.

I have asked some of them, “If the Senate votes to acquit, what will you do to keep this president from getting worse?” Their responses have been shrugs and sheepish looks.

They stop short of explicitly saying that they are afraid. We all want to think that we always stand up for right and fight against wrong. But history does not look kindly on politicians who cannot fathom a fate worse than losing an upcoming election. They might claim fealty to their cause — those tax cuts — but often it’s a simple attachment to power that keeps them captured.

As Senator Murray said on the Senate floor in 2002, “We can act out of fear” or “we can stick to our principles.” Unfortunately, in this Senate, fear has had its way. In November, the American people will have theirs.

You're a delusional twit.

By Sherrod Brown

Feb. 5, 2020

more un named sources. Am I right?
"Uninformed sources tell me that....

These people admitted, before the vote, that they intended to violate the oaths that they took to serve as an impartial jury. Then they voted for no witnesses or evidence to appear before them, as would occur in a fair and impartial trial. The evidence was there, but they actively refused to hear it.

Again, republicans, this is what you chose to do, which is a good illustration of why I will never cast a vote for a republican candidate.

By Sherrod Brown

Feb. 5, 2020

stop short of explicitly saying that they are afraid. We all want to think that we always stand up for right and fight against wrong. But history does not look kindly on politicians who cannot fathom a fate worse than losing an upcoming election. They might claim fealty to their cause — those tax cuts — but often it’s a simple attachment to power that keeps them captured.

The same elites still think they are running things.

“One journalist remarked to me, “How in the world can these senators walk around here upright when they have no backbone?”

Yeah...a “journalist”.

By Sherrod Brown

Feb. 5, 2020

And despite the lying title note this afmisdion...”They stop short of explicitly saying that they are afraid.

By Sherrod Brown

Feb. 5, 2020

And despite the lying title note this afmisdion...”They stop short of explicitly saying that they are afraid.

They are afraid to show they are afraid. That's the nature of lip-service patriots.

In Private, Republicans Admit They Acquitted Trump Out of fear…

I call bullshit.

How would Mr. Brown, whose absurd propaganda piece you're siting, know what anyone is saying in private?

Certain hoaxes have this rather obvious giveaway, that even if what is being reported were true, the one reporting it wouldn't know.

And amazingly, there are some people who are so unbelievably stupid, that they'll believe such reports, even with this obvious giveaway to them being false.

EveryoneLaughingAtYou.png

Impeachment is a very partisan affair. That is clue from both this one and the Clinton impeachment. Look at the votes and they both go pretty much along party lines.

By Sherrod Brown

Feb. 5, 2020

Impeachment is a very partisan affair. That is clear from both this one and the Clinton impeachment. Members of both parties are afraid to break from the party line. I don't know why Romney decided to do so, but I'd guess he thinks he will gain something from it.

There was never any real chance of Trump being removed. Partisan politics wouldn't allow it, not on the charges brought here.

These people admitted, before the vote, that they intended to violate the oaths that they took to serve as an impartial jury. Then they voted for no witnesses or evidence to appear before them, as would occur in a fair and impartial trial. The evidence was there, but they actively refused to hear it.

Again, republicans, this is what you chose to do, which is a good illustration of why I will never cast a vote for a republican candidate.

And so the evolution towards a complete dictatorship dawns in America , along with it's base , who throw justice under the bus for it
1wtwak.jpg

~S~

In Private, Republicans Admit They Acquitted Trump Out of fear…

I call bullshit.

How would Mr. Brown, whose absurd propaganda piece you're siting, know what anyone is saying in private?

Certain hoaxes have this rather obvious giveaway, that even if what is being reported were true, the one reporting it wouldn't know.

And amazingly, there are some people who are so unbelievably stupid, that they'll believe such reports, even with this obvious giveaway to them being false.

It has certainly agitated you enough to post some arrant nonsense in rebuttal.

Nobody doubts that GOP lawmakers fear Trump.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Where is one dem politician who is not a beaten down beta cuck to stand up to Pelosi in the House or Schumer in the Senate?

By Sherrod Brown

Feb. 5, 2020

It is good that the leadership feels they have to fear their base.

Better than over in the Dem party, where the leadership is planning to fix the primaries again with the full expectation that their base will just accept it, like the good, servile serf they are.

By Sherrod Brown

Feb. 5, 2020

An opinion piece to support your opinion...

Well let be clear the House failed on their Obstruction of Congress for one reason and they did not exhaust the court...

The Abuse of Power was a joke seeing every President abused their office including Obama with his using the NSA to spy on Americans, IRS to go after Tea Party Groups and using drones in countries we were never at war with...

Now I know you will proclaim Trump is evil which he is but the Senators did not convict because the House failed to make sure their case was worthy for what they wanted done...

Impeachment was not the correct course of action when it came to the Ukraine and you know it even if you deny it three time and try to collect your silver...

Where is one dem politician who is not a beaten down beta cuck to stand up to Pelosi in the House or Schumer in the Senate?

This phrase "beta cuck" seems to be some slang used by the movement to empower immature white boys with small genitals to make themselves sound important in the world of immature white boys. Your use of it betrays you as being a child. Go ask your mommy to make you a sandwich that you can take to school for lunch.

By Sherrod Brown

Feb. 5, 2020

Which republican senators?

its easy for the New York Times to make up rumors and spread them as fact which hooks gullible libs every time

Forum List

Back