It's March 4th! Texas Primaries!

RandomVariable

VIP Member
Jan 7, 2014
I can't believe it slipped my mind. I was doing not much of anything and it hit me, "It's March 4th!" Time to see where the chips fell. ;) (For those who don't know what cow chips are look it up. :shock:)

From Page Not Found | At the Races

They explain each of these in the article.

Texas: What to Watch in the First Primaries of 2014
1. Does John Cornyn break 60 percent?
2. Is Ralph Hall forced to a runoff?
3. Will Democrat Marc Veasey come back to Congress?
4. Will ex-Rep. Quico Canseco have a runoff?
5. Which two candidates make the runoff to succeed Stockman?
6. What is Pete Sessions’ margin over his primary challenger?

I can't believe it slipped my mind. I was doing not much of anything and it hit me, "It's March 4th!" Time to see where the chips fell. ;) (For those who don't know what cow chips are look it up. :shock:)

Thanks for starting the thread. I am swamped with work and won't have time to open an primary thread for TX, so if you don't mind, would like to throw the election data onto this thread once the prelim totals are in. ok?

Thanks for starting the thread. I am swamped with work and won't have time to open an primary thread for TX, so if you don't mind, would like to throw the election data onto this thread once the prelim totals are in. ok?

Absolutely. Please do. I look forward to it. Gives me a more time to query out the personal interest stories of the day. Polls close at 8 EST. I probably won't do much with the thread until closer to then.

It looks pretty much like a sleeper, except maybe the primaries for the Lt. Gov.

I don't think that Cornyn is in any real danger.

But Texas has a 50% requirement, otherwise, there is a runoff, if I remember correctly.

Just wait until 2016, when we get to deal with the Texas Two-Step again:

These are reports from my blog from 2008:

Statistikhengst's ELECTORAL POLITICS - 2013 and beyond: The Texas TWO-STEP, the OHIO wrestling match, and two easy wins (Super Tuesday II)!!

Statistikhengst's ELECTORAL POLITICS - 2013 and beyond: The "TX 2-step" is more like a stumble on a wooden peg-leg!

chuckle, chuckle... I remember that night well...

Apologies to Politifact but NBC has more resources. Real-time charts. 1% reporting in some precincts. I guest we can call it. ;)

| NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Here is something I found along the way:
Five things to watch during Texas primary elections | kvue.com Austin
ARE DEMOCRATS FIRED UP?
Democrats formed Battleground Texas a year ago to breathe new life into the moribund party. Four months later, Fort Worth Sen. Wendy Davis became a hero for women's rights by filibustering restrictive abortion legislation. Battleground has signed up 12,000 volunteers and Davis is running for governor with a dedicated base, but will all this energy turn out voters for the Democratic primary? Davis has no competitor, but her campaign and Battleground Texas have been running phone banks to get people in the habit of voting before it really counts in November.

WILL DEMOCRATS BE EMBARASSED IN THE U.S. SENATE RACE?
The 2012 primary race for the Democratic nomination to run for U.S. Senate embarrassed the party when perennial candidate and part-time Republican Grady Yarbrough gathered enough votes to force a runoff with party favorite Paul Sadler without running a significant campaign. This time Kesha Rogers, who is allied with frequent presidential candidate Lyndon LaRouche and wants to impeach President Barack Obama, could create problems for party activists David Alameel and Maxey Scherr. Democratic Party Chairman Gilberto Hinojosa has called on Democrats to reject Rogers, but familiar last names still count for a lot in races with unknown candidates.

A good lurk is alway appreciated. :)

Polls are not coming in much yet. What I am mainly looking for is not who wins or loses, I think there will be few surprises there, but does the TEA Party show more or less influence than expected and how big the Democratic turnout is.

Just random info:
Nation's 1st primary in Texas as GOP pushes right
Frigid weather greeted some voters with a dangerous drive to the polls. Austin locations opened late because of icy conditions and extended voting for two hours. Turnout was light in many places, with election workers seen knitting or reading a newspaper in between voters' sporadic arrivals.

Among those on the ballot Tuesday was a new member of the Bush dynasty: George P. Bush, the nephew of former President George W. Bush and son of former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, making his political debut by running for land commissioner.
Unlike Davis and Abbott, few other Texas candidates have the luxury of uneventful primaries.

Almost all are on the Republican side, where candidates have wooed voters with vows to emulate Cruz's no-compromise style. Even U.S. Sen. John Cornyn and U.S. Rep. Pete Sessions, two of the state's most powerful Republicans, have spent money campaigning against longshot challengers who say the incumbents have grown too moderate in Washington.

Changes are far more likely in Austin. Republican Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst, who lost to Cruz in the U.S. Senate race in 2012, appears headed for his first runoff in 11 years for the state's No. 2 job, which doubles as the state Senate president and exerts considerably more influence than elsewhere in setting the legislative agenda. The race has been the nastiest and most competitive this primary season.

Ralph Kramer, 70, a semi-retired petroleum engineer from The Woodlands who described himself as more conservative than most Republicans, said he didn't like the tone of Dewhurst's recent campaign against challenger state Sen. Dan Patrick. Kramer described political ads as "just a way to lie, exaggerate."

"And I don't like a dirty campaign," he said.

Illinois holds the nation's next primary March 18, followed by a flood of state primaries in May and June.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbH60wCO-Yw]Little Texas - God Blessed Texas - YouTube[/ame]

Well some results are announce but it is one of those 4% reporting kind of thing. Since total vote counts won't be analyzable for some time this is the last I will add to the thread tonight.

Totals so far:
| NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

OK, this is the last post for the day. From what I can make out so far Tea Party candidates did not fair as expected. A couple of races where a runoff was a good possibility were decided tonight. Given that the weather was pretty bad I would expect that to dampen the less committed voter. If that is indeed the case the Tea Party has really lost some steam. A gauge of Democratic turnout will have to wait until tomorrow.

Cornyn, Davis survive Texas primary tests

MUAHAAHAA tea party tards got their asses handed to them...not a surprise.

Actually not as much as it appeared at first. Seems to be the general consensus in the articles that examined the topic. Don't count out just as strong, if not stronger, push by the Tea party in primaries to come.

About last night: Texas primary highlights ? CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs
Tea Party influence

Tuesday's primary was the first in the Lone Star State since Cruz's U.S. Senate victory two years ago, thanks in part to strong support from tea party and other grassroots conservative activists.

While Cornyn and Sessions easily beat back conservative challengers, other more establishment lawmakers were forced into May runoffs by challengers backed by Cruz.

Amy Kremer, head of the Tea Party Express, one of the leading national tea party groups, told CNN that while she's disappointed that the candidate they backed, Pierson, came up short against Sessions, but said "I am proud that we had one of our own step up and take on an entrenched establishment candidate."

"The big takeaway from last night is that the tea party movement is alive and well in the state of Texas. Tea Party candidates won big on the local and state level, and while the tea party lost one congressional race, there was no serious primary challenge in the Senate race. Also, Ted Cruz endorsed 5 candidates, with 4 of them winning and one heavily favored in a runoff. With that, Texas didn't let us down!" Kremer added.

I am looking forward to March 18th here in Illinois. I was at a Lincoln Day dinner Saturday, and listened to most of the major candidates. It appears Illinois should be able to elect a R Governor this year, but who the R candidate will be is not decided. Rauner is leading the polls, but that could change.

Yeah, the Ds do not look good anywhere. With Chicago's latest bond downgrade IL could go red big time.

Forum List

Back