It's Called Christmas!

I am as Christian as they come and not some spring chicken either....and I was TAUGHT as a child, some 30 plus years ago, that those friends of mine who were not Christian but other faiths, to send them a card that said Season's Greetings or Happy Holidays and not to send them cards wishing THEM a Merry Christmas...out of courtesy to them.

This WAS proper edicate?

The name of the national holiday is Christmas...I do not see how you can offend anyone by wishing them a Merry Christmas...that is the name of the name of the holiday.

If they don't celebrate Christmas, why send them a card at all? And if they do celebrate Christmas, why would they be offended when you wish them a happy Christmas?

happy solstice!

Merry Christmas...

see how that works? I'm not offended, I doubt you are....
Happy Kwanza!

Okay, now I'm offended, but only because the person who created that particular holiday didn't want it celebrated by whites...he was as racist as they come. Perhaps, the holiday will outlive it's creator and become something meaningful? I do not understand anyone that believes any holiday should only be celebrated by people of a specific race.

Okay, I'm not really offended, I just don't like the guy who invented it....wish he'd live up to the ideals of his "holiday".

83%20Jesus%20Loves%20YMCA.jpg
This is so disrespectful...but I can't stop laughing!

You're so going to hell for that one!

yeah, what eagle said.....:lol:

I have the perfect christmas song for the budding Atheists!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DmGJrrLCQE&feature=fvw[/ame]

Last edited:
I am as Christian as they come and not some spring chicken either....and I was TAUGHT as a child, some 30 plus years ago, that those friends of mine who were not Christian but other faiths, to send them a card that said Season's Greetings or Happy Holidays and not to send them cards wishing THEM a Merry Christmas...out of courtesy to them.

This WAS proper edicate?

The name of the national holiday is Christmas...I do not see how you can offend anyone by wishing them a Merry Christmas...that is the name of the name of the holiday.

If they don't celebrate Christmas, why send them a card at all? And if they do celebrate Christmas, why would they be offended when you wish them a happy Christmas?

On the other hand, are you sending a card to make yourself feel good, or to make them feel good? If it's to make yourself feel good, by all means ignore their traditions in favor of your own. If it's to make them feel good, a little thoughtfulness might be in order.

This WAS proper edicate?

On the other hand, are you sending a card to make yourself feel good, or to make them feel good? If it's to make yourself feel good, by all means ignore their traditions in favor of your own. If it's to make them feel good, a little thoughtfulness might be in order.

I don't mind either greeting, really. I don't like people politicizing it or even pushing their religious views on others during the holiday season.. If someone says Merry Christmas, I believe it is from the heart just as if they would say Happy Holidays.

Before I leave for the holiday vacation, I'll wish everyone Happy Holidays because I may not get back online until after the New Year.

Hope nobody gets offended. :)

I don't mind either greeting, really. I don't like people politicizing it or even pushing their religious views on others during the holiday season.. If someone says Merry Christmas, I believe it is from the heart just as if they would say Happy Holidays.

Before I leave for the holiday vacation, I'll wish everyone Happy Holidays because I may not get back online until after the New Year.

Are you kidding? Tham be fightin' words! :evil:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

This WAS proper edicate?

If they don't celebrate Christmas, I'm not sending them a Christmas card....if I want to be thoughtful, I can send them a New Years card, a just a "thinking of you" card....not a non-christmas Christmas card.

Are you kidding? Tham be fightin' words! :evil:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ok that's it, we're gonna go... :lol:

This WAS proper edicate?

I don't resent getting "Seasons Greetings" cards from anybody. I am a tad disappointed when I get one from another Christian, but in all cases somebody thought about me and cared about me (or wanted my business) enough to buy, sign, address, and stamp a card and send it to me. I'm not going to get huffy or spit on that just because it is mildly politically correct. I appreciate the thought and effort.

My cards that I send out, however, all say "Merry Christmas" or some other Christian greeting no matter who I am sending them to, because those receiving those cards are receiving them from a Christian who celebrates Christmas and not some generic holiday. I don't send cards with heavy Christian doctrine to non-Christians, but they will be Christmas cards. To my Jewish friends, I always sign the card with a Happy Hannukah. (They send us a Happy Hannukah card and sign it Merry Christmas. :eusa_angel:)

But then I'm not a politically correct kind of person and I think anybody who would be offended by a Christian holiday that has been a huge part of our country's history, heritage, culture, and way of life is a person with a problem that won't be relieved by not using the word "Christmas'. I don't expect non-Christians to accommodate my Christian beliefs when I visit or join in their activities. I fully expect my non-Christian friends to be themselves on their own high holy days or other traditional celebrations. And I see no reason that non-religious and non-Christians should feel threatened or insulted by Christians engaged in their traditions.

Forum List

Back