It says in the contract that passengers can be bumped from overbooked flights

Better PR to make them an offer they can't refuse, than to drag them kicking and screaming down the aisle

He will get nowhere with his frivolous lawsuit. United was within their rights to bump him from the flight. He broke the law when he refused to leave the plane, and broke the law again when he resisted arrest. United should prosecute him for trespassing.

Personally I think all airlines should leave a few seats unbooked....just for incidences like this.

Personally I think all airlines should leave a few seats unbooked....just for incidences like this.
No, they are not required to cut into their profit margin to placate the feelings of unsavory characters who can't honor their contracts.

Better PR to make them an offer they can't refuse, than to drag them kicking and screaming down the aisle

First, stop over booking, and eliminate the problem. Yeah, you lose money on seats not filled... but whatever money you save doing it this way, you will lose with reduced customers. I'll never fly United as long as I live now.

Even just having a 'missed flight' charge, would be better than this.

An equally effective solution is just default to first come first serve, and eliminate the need to be removed.

Why they think they need to determine which customer has the most frequent flyer miles, and bump the lowest person off the plane, is bonkers at face value.

Whoever is there first, gets the seat.

Seriously, what do they think is going to happen? They think the guy who was late, and got bumped, is going spend the next week hunting down every passenger and determine how many frequent flyer miles they had? Then what, they are going to call up United:

"hey this is Bob that you bumped from the Atlanta flight, and Steve only had 2,000 miles, while I had 2,010! I demand justice!"

Removing a passenger from a plane when they are already on board... is just the worst possible solution to anything.

The ambulance chaser whines about frivolous lawsuits. Fucking classic. lol

He will get nowhere with his frivolous lawsuit. United was within their rights to bump him from the flight. He broke the law when he refused to leave the plane, and broke the law again when he resisted arrest. United should prosecute him for trespassing.

I don't know about that.....yes United and all airlines have the right to bump passengers. They had already asked for volunteers to give up their seats and when no one offered, the computer randomly picked seats to be de-boarded so this guy wasn't the only one forced off the plane. He was the only one forcibly removed. From what I've seen, United has been complaining about the cops handling of it, but haven't heard a word about why they called the cops in the first place.
Couldn't the airline have handled it another way? Those employees that were given the seats.....couldn't they have taken a different flight? Or the airline call in other employees from other areas?

I just think it could have been handled differently by the airline.

Sounds like you're stereotyping me. How would you like it if I assumed you were an interior decorator or a hairdresser?

No, they are not required to cut into their profit margin to placate the feelings of unsavory characters who can't honor their contracts.

Actually they were losing money...the DR was a paid passenger that was being bumped by other airline employees.

Sounds like you're stereotyping me. How would you like it if I assumed you were an interior decorator or a hairdresser?

You're a personal injury lawyer now, no?

8262d7c3736ec2236f9cbb2da81ebe28.gif

Just sayin'...
Some would consider having fine print that says you dont have a right to what you purchased to be unconscionable.

Well.... if he had purchased a plane.... ok. But he purchased a travel ticket, and just facts of life dictate it doesn't work that way.

I traveled by bus once, and the bus was full. I didn't occur to me that "this is unconscionable!".... the bus.... was full. Stuff like this happens.

I accepted it... and got on the next bus.

Forum List

Back