It’s Pakistan, Not a Jungle

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
A line I have heard several times from people in Canada over the past one month. I was a bit taken aback the first time I heard it. My first instinct was to rudely respond, “Of course I know English- I come from Pakistan and not a jungle”.

But then I used to smile politely and just walk away.

It all started when I took a plane to Canada last month for a medical internship. I traveled on the plane with my head held high searching for a dream in this foreign land. Having topped my university my spirits were sky high. I would make Pakistan proud. They will be saying nice things about Pakistan when I leave. I was proud of where I was coming from unconsciously forgetting the bad things that invaded my land.

A week into Canada, my bubble was built up and steady. I used to straighten up my back and tell everyone I met “I am from Pakistan”. They used to smile back and get to the next question. No words exchanged on Pakistan. I was still walking on the streets with my head held up high. I was as good as any other person there. There were beautiful buildings, friendly people and exotic nature to explore. I was having the time of my life.

Second week, I started creating conversation. So what do you know about Pakistan? Some would shake their heads in ignorance, some in denial of passing comments. A few came up with interesting answers. “ALL I know is that Musharraf is not a happy man”

“I would never live in Pakistan. You can’t travel on the roads alone if you are a girl. It’s so hard to do anything in Pakistan. I don’t know how people live there”

Read More: TheNews Blog » It?s Pakistan, Not a Jungle

Forum List

Back