It can't happen here

pegwinn

Top of the Food Chain
Apr 17, 2004
Texas
I don't follow the subcontinents politics. But this would never happen in the USA. "IF nominated..........If elected"

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0519/p06s01-wosc.html

NEW DELHI – Even though Sonia Gandhi has shocked everyone by refusing to become India's next prime minister, her victorious Congress party has studiously sent calming signals to investors and the public that it will not be setting a radical agenda.
After Mrs. Gandhi told senior party leaders Tuesday that she would not accept the top slot, party activists publicly pleaded in front of her home for a change of heart. One distraught Congress worker put a pistol to his head and threatened to commit suicide unless Gandhi reconsidered.

But Gandhi confirmed her refusal in a televised speech Tuesday night, saying: "I ask you to respect my decision and to understand the force of my conviction ... and to recognize that I will not reverse it."

Gandhi has endured fierce personal attacks by leaders of the former ruling party, the Bharatiya Janata Party or BJP, who say that a foreign-born person should not become India's leader. One BJP minister resigned at the prospect of a Gandhi-led government; another threatened to cut off her own hair.

But aside from all the drama and vitriol .......... (click the link above for more)

Your right No way ! Our leaders spend a hell of a lot of other peoples money to get there. It just wouldn't be right to not let them get the bang for their buck

Wouldnt happen here because we have CAREER politicians. If we imposed term limits on people, it would allow more everyday citizens the opportunity to run for office. More people who just want to make a difference instead of always looking to be elected would enter into congress and we could possibly make things happen for the people, by the people again.

Originally posted by insein
Wouldnt happen here because we have CAREER politicians. If we imposed term limits on people, it would allow more everyday citizens the opportunity to run for office. More people who just want to make a difference instead of always looking to be elected would enter into congress and we could possibly make things happen for the people, by the people again.

Term limits only force the lazy populace in this country to vote in someone new. It's pretty sad that the apathy is so high that politicans can make 1 job a career.

Originally posted by JIHADTHIS
Term limits only force the lazy populace in this country to vote in someone new. It's pretty sad that the apathy is so high that politicans can make 1 job a career.

maybe so, but alot of the apathy in politics by ordinary people comes from the percieved and real corruption in politics today. With the term limits limiting the power men and women can have, it could limit the corruption because those in power wouldnt have time to be corrupt.

Originally posted by Avatar4321
maybe so, but alot of the apathy in politics by ordinary people comes from the percieved and real corruption in politics today. With the term limits limiting the power men and women can have, it could limit the corruption because those in power wouldnt have time to be corrupt.

I would love to see term limits. I was amazed that a citizens vote in one of the states to limit FEDERAL reps terms was blocked in court. Seems that the will of the people as evidenced by a lawfull vote, should hold the power. Unless of course there was a law already on the books that was overlooked.

I think 12 years for everyone (Pres, Sen, House) -or- a two term limit then a mandatory one term break with no government ties at all would work. I don't mind the idea of making statesmanship a career. I do mind someone so entrenched that you literally cannot get rid of them. Lastly I think no elected official should get a pension for said service unless they serve twenty or more years. Same as the military folks. You should see the pay package our boys gave themselves.

Forum List

Back