'Israel's white phosphorus use legal'

Discussion in 'Israel and Palestine' started by toomuchtime_, Jan 13, 2009.

1. toomuchtime_

toomuchtime_ Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,992
    The International Red Cross said Tuesday that Israel has fired white phosphorus shells in its offensive in the Gaza Strip, but has no evidence to suggest it is being used improperly or illegally.

The comments came after a human rights organization accused the Jewish state of using the incendiary agent, which ignites when it strikes the skin and burns straight through or until it is cut off from oxygen. It can cause horrific injuries.

The International Committee of the Red Cross urged Israel to exercise "extreme caution" in using the incendiary agent, which is used to illuminate targets at night or create a smoke screen for day attacks, said Peter Herby, the head of the organization's mines-arms unit.

"In some of the strikes in Gaza it's pretty clear that phosphorus was used," Herby told The Associated Press. "But it's not very unusual to use phosphorus to create smoke or illuminate a target. We have no evidence to suggest it's being used in any other way."

In response, the IDF said Tuesday that it "wishes to reiterate that it uses weapons in compliance with international law, while strictly observing that they be used in accordance with the type of combat and its characteristics."

Herby said that using phosphorus to illuminate a target or create smoke is legitimate under international law, and that there was no evidence the Jewish state was intentionally using phosphorus in a questionable way, such as burning down buildings or knowingly putting civilians at risk.

However, Herby said evidence is still limited because of the difficulties of gaining access to Gaza, where Palestinian health officials say more than 900 people have been killed and 4,250 wounded since Israel launched its offensive late last month. The operation aims to halt years of Palestinian rocket attacks over the border.

Human Rights Watch accused Israel of firing phosphorous shells and warned of the possibilities of extreme fire and civilian injuries. The chemical was suspected in the cases of 10 burn victims who had skin peeling off their faces and bodies.

White phosphorus is not considered a chemical weapon.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,434
    amazing how once you cut through the israel hater's absurd rhetoric, you get a realistic assessment.

but how interesting that once again none of the jew bashers bother posting here.

guess it doesn't suit their prejudice.

3. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    You do realize that they aren't even sure right? :cuckoo:

Or do you not bother to read the full articles anymore?

4. FistyTheBadger

FistyTheBadger King of the Badgers

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Who the fuck cares if it is legal or not? Israel, do whatever the fuck you want. I, and every other rational human being, is behind you.

5. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,993
    Which would mean the claims they are using it improperly are not SURE either. But that is NOT how you rejects post it here.

6. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,434
    has that stopped the jew bashers from posting thread after thread?

i think it's certainly better than the trash truthdoesn'tmatter posted. Did you complain that was speculation?

just wondering...since you want to be all fair and all.

7. DiveCon

DiveCon gone

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,387
    nope, i dont think he did post that it was speculation in that thread

8. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Right, so you're going to gauge all and any opposition to Israel based off what Truth and Sunni say. That's real smart and logical; not. :cuckoo:

It's a fuckin fact at this point they used white phosphorus. They originally denied it, now they're stating it's being used legally.

I remember seeing a picture of it being used if I remember correctly. Let me see if I can find it.

Edit: Here you go:

$OBURN_P1.jpg

That is from January 3, above Gaza.

Besides, the Gaza Strip is one of the most densely populated places in the world. When White phosphorus is used, you can bet the civilians are being hit and Israel just doesn't give a fuck.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  9. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    I do hope you're just a loony troll.

10. DiveCon

DiveCon gone

Thanks Received:
    Ratings: