Isn't it time to take Thailand to task?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by tommywho70x, May 15, 2010.

1. tommywho70x

tommywho70x BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    i will admit up front that i have only been skimming the recent actions of the red shirt dissidents and the thai government. that can change if there are some others here who want to take a closer look at what's going on.

for some reason, the thai monarchy is one of those governments, like israel, that the powers-that-be in the US refuse to criticize. much of what happened between 1945 and 1975 in southeast asia had as one of its elements support for the thai government against insurgents.

from my activities in the jewelry and gemstone industry, i have learned that the thai government is behind the sri lankan civil war in an effort to displace colombo with bangkok as the center for the gem cutting and setting trade in asia. they also support child labor in the gem cutting industry and there are reports of children chained to cutting machines and blinded by them by the age of ten.

2. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    If we're going after countries for child labor, we'd be going after a great deal of Asia. That includes China, which you probably have made the majority of your purchases from.

3. Sunshine

Sunshine Trust the pie. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,045
    I think I'd just rather go on vacation there and call it a day. :)

4. tommywho70x

tommywho70x BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    actually, i work more with stones from south america than anywhere else --- child and forced labor is a problem there too.

i didn't want to focus on child labor though --- i was hoping to see somebody come in with a simple, yet brilliant description of what these recent protests have been about.

5. Sunshine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,045
    After having been to Asia and the middle east, I have decided the old adage 'east is east and west is west, and never the twain shall meet' is entirely true. Our values are not their values and trying to get them to accept our values is futile.

6. tommywho70x

tommywho70x BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    so it is okay for us to finance a repressive government with our tax dollars and send our troops into harm's way to prop up a hereditary monarchy?

oh wait! that's what we do regularly for israel, kuwait and the saudis so i guess it's ok for us to foot the bill for the same kind of nonsense in thailand, right?

7. Sunshine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,045

We are in far too much debt to China to wax very self righteous about their values.

8. tommywho70x

tommywho70x BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    i owe china nothing and this thread is about thailand.

our government has been propping up a monarchy in a rigidly caste-stratified society for many years but i suppose that's a good thing because that seems to be the direction many over affluent americans want our society to head in.

9. Sunshine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,045
    :lol:

10. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,019
    Anarchy. They do not like the current Government. They think they can dictate to that Government when it will dissolve itself and form a new one only they approve of.