Korea go Boom?

Sep 12, 2008
Everyone is saying a shooting war is unlikely, which means it is almost guaranteed.

Korea Times said:
The militaries of South Korea and the United States are charting scenarios on a possible hostage crisis at the joint Gaeseong Industrial Complex in North Korea, as tension is rising over the sinking of the South Korean Navy frigate Cheonan on March 26, the country's defense chief said Thursday.

"There is a possibility that South Korean workers may be held at the Gaeseong site, so the government is discussing countermeasures with the United States," Minister of National Defense Kim Tae-young said during a breakfast meeting with senior journalists at the ministry in Seoul.

Kim didn't elaborate on what kind of scenarios and course of joint military action were being talked about.
News in Korea is very loud about that sinking. The border is closing everywhere. The Norks nationalized a golf course (!?)on the east coast last week. all the peaceable moves of the last few years are being rescinded on both sides.

Anyone want to make book on if the shooting starts, and when?

Kim J Ill has not been looking too well lately. So glad we will soon have to deal with his son. What's that phrase? Here comes the new boss, same as the old boss.

largeimage.c9ae11c293c7d7e382246cc15cd6a872.gif

Well its quite a sensitive issue in the region and I think China has started talks with both sides and of course the US has always been trying to get some sort of deal going so I think its unlikely we will see any thing crazy happening over there.

Agreed---A war in Korea benefits no one politically or economically. I expect a rather peaceful changing of the guard.

I kind of hope we might get some improvement in the next generation of Kims. But when has that ever happened?

I would thing even the Chinese are getting tired of him

My son is in Korea and told me his commanding general spoke to his unit and he did mention the cheonan sinking and he said that we should understand that the korean people are feeling how we felt after 9/11, and he hopes nothing bad happens but that was about it.

China's leader and Japan's PM are in Korea for talks. It sounds like even China is getting annoyed by North Korea.

Korea Times said:
"Prime Minister Hatoyama vowed to deal sternly with Pyongyang based on firm alliance with Seoul," said Lee Dong-kwan, senior presidential secretary for public relations. "He showed his deep respect for Lee, saying Seoul has been taking a cool-headed, well-coordinated response to the tragedy under his firm leadership."

The summit came one day after the bilateral talks between Lee and Chinese Premier Wen in Seoul.

The leaders of South Korea, Japan and China arrived on this southern resort island Saturday for three-way talks, which will continue until Sunday.

On Friday, Wen pledged to consult closely with the countries concerned to punish those behind the incident, saying China will review the results of an international investigation, released in Seoul on May 20, in a fair and objective manner.

He, however, stopped short of clarifying whether Beijing accepts the results of a probe by South Korea, the United States, Australia and Sweden.

Some observers here said Wen's remarks indicate that China may join the U.S. and its allies in censuring North Korea for the sinking of the 1,200-ton frigate Cheonan.

In separate talks with Prime Minister Chung Un-chan on Saturday, Wen expressed his condolences to South Korean people and family members of the victims for the "unfortunate incident," Chung's office said.

Everyone is saying a shooting war is unlikely, which means it is almost guaranteed.

Korea Times said:
The militaries of South Korea and the United States are charting scenarios on a possible hostage crisis at the joint Gaeseong Industrial Complex in North Korea, as tension is rising over the sinking of the South Korean Navy frigate Cheonan on March 26, the country's defense chief said Thursday.

"There is a possibility that South Korean workers may be held at the Gaeseong site, so the government is discussing countermeasures with the United States," Minister of National Defense Kim Tae-young said during a breakfast meeting with senior journalists at the ministry in Seoul.

Kim didn't elaborate on what kind of scenarios and course of joint military action were being talked about.
News in Korea is very loud about that sinking. The border is closing everywhere. The Norks nationalized a golf course (!?)on the east coast last week. all the peaceable moves of the last few years are being rescinded on both sides.

Anyone want to make book on if the shooting starts, and when?

:eek: Holy crap!! :eek:

:eek: NK has a golf course? :eek:

Forum List

Back