Islam's Not for Me

vasu ---read the koran-----doing so will not actually teach you
what islam is all about-----but keep this in mind----that which MUHUMMAD did----is always right. Muhummad married
children----he did not necessarily have sex with them as babies--------he waited----with his fave wife AISHA---he waited until she was nine. In shariah adherent countries----in general---there is no UNDER-AGE for a girl----but in current times there are official age of consent laws----that can be ignored "out in the sticks" ----or on the sly.

What English translation do you recommend? I used to own the J M Rodwell translation of the Koran. I think it was from the early 1800's. It had a lot of archaic words and I lost interest in reading it. I finally got rid of it. Reading the Qu'ran is something that is on my bucket list.

Yusuf Ali comes with EXTENSIVE explanations. I read PICTHAL long long ago ----probably when it was first
invented----if you read it-----avoid the Introduction by the author------it is idiotic. PICTHAL---an English guy ---was probably nuts----he credited Muhummad with social
innovations that were common in the world ---thousands of
years ago. I was so confused I had to consult the encyclopedia Britannica to find out when this GENIUS of INNOVATION lived------it turned out----not so long ago. But it is fairly straight forward english

vasu ---read the koran-----doing so will not actually teach you
what islam is all about-----but keep this in mind----that which MUHUMMAD did----is always right. Muhummad married
children----he did not necessarily have sex with them as babies--------he waited----with his fave wife AISHA---he waited until she was nine. In shariah adherent countries----in general---there is no UNDER-AGE for a girl----but in current times there are official age of consent laws----that can be ignored "out in the sticks" ----or on the sly.

What English translation do you recommend? I used to own the J M Rodwell translation of the Koran. I think it was from the early 1800's. It had a lot of archaic words and I lost interest in reading it. I finally got rid of it. Reading the Qu'ran is something that is on my bucket list.

I use Yusuf Ali, it is available to read online. It is easier to read on the screen as you can scroll down. I also have the book version with commentary. see also Maududi's introduction

The Quran Translation by Yusuf Ali

Syed Abu-Ala' Maududi's Chapter Introductions to the Qur'an

Last edited:
Mankind is faced with a threat, a threat that seeks to drag mankind back to the seventh century; one which is barbaric to its very core. This threat is relentless, murderous, and absolutely will not stop. It subjugates women to the point of being merely baby factories who must obey men or be beaten. It considers all who do not obey its tenets as less than human and must be either converted, enslaved, or killed. For too long, civilized society has taken a tolerant approach to its existence and actions. For too long, civilized society has sought to appease those who falsely claim that they are not free to practice their religion, which in their view, simply means that they are not free to enforce their beliefs on non-believers. And, for too long, civilized peoples across the planet have been ignoring the obvious, that this is not just a few isolated cases of extremists, but a global jihad, seeking to destroy all that mankind has built and achieved. There are those who would point to the fact that much of the killing is that of killing their own, however, it is only those killing those they consider not devout enough and thus infidels. Their ultimate goal remains the same, destroy all but their own. We as a civilized society must decide the course we will take in this struggle. Is it to be the course of submission so as to not take up arms and shed blood and in so doing, our history being wiped from all memory, or one to preserve all of our advances, beliefs and even ancient cultural heritage and in so doing, take up an armed struggle for our very survival? As unpleasant as it is, sometimes, war is the only answer and the only way to win a war, is to overwhelm your enemy. Fight or die.

Mankind is faced with a threat, a threat that seeks to drag mankind back to the seventh century; one which is barbaric to its very core. This threat is relentless, murderous, and absolutely will not stop. It subjugates women to the point of being merely baby factories who must obey men or be beaten. It considers all who do not obey its tenets as less than human and must be either converted, enslaved, or killed. For too long, civilized society has taken a tolerant approach to its existence and actions. For too long, civilized society has sought to appease those who falsely claim that they are not free to practice their religion, which in their view, simply means that they are not free to enforce their beliefs on non-believers. And, for too long, civilized peoples across the planet have been ignoring the obvious, that this is not just a few isolated cases of extremists, but a global jihad, seeking to destroy all that mankind has built and achieved. There are those who would point to the fact that much of the killing is that of killing their own, however, it is only those killing those they consider not devout enough and thus infidels. Their ultimate goal remains the same, destroy all but their own. We as a civilized society must decide the course we will take in this struggle. Is it to be the course of submission so as to not take up arms and shed blood and in so doing, our history being wiped from all memory, or one to preserve all of our advances, beliefs and even ancient cultural heritage and in so doing, take up an armed struggle for our very survival? As unpleasant as it is, sometimes, war is the only answer and the only way to win a war, is to overwhelm your enemy. Fight or die.

I am afraid you may be right, and there will have to be a war. For myself I am too old to be involved in fighting, but I spend some of my time trying to show the Quran cannot be from God. In order to try to pull the rug out from under Islamic fanatics.

I am afraid you may be right, and there will have to be a war. For myself I am too old to be involved in fighting, but I spend some of my time trying to show the Quran cannot be from God. In order to try to pull the rug out from under Islamic fanatics.
In Afghanistan, even the elderly can and do go up against coalition troops. It doesn't take strength and youth to fight, only determination.

it won't help

Forum List

Back