Islam Tells Russian Women To "Cover Up"

Tank

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2009
Mufti Tells Women to Cover Up
04 February 2011

GROZNY — The spiritual leader of Chechnya called on women Wednesday to dress more "modestly" and only show their face and hands, in the latest attempt by authorities to install Islamic ideas.

"Women must understand our request," mufti Sultan Mirzayev told Reuters in an interview in the Chechen capital, Grozny.

"We are not forcing anyone, but we are calling on women to wear traditional Islamic dress, where only the hands and face are visible," he said.

Kadyrov, who has repeatedly spoken out about his dislike for women who dress less appropriately than what he deems acceptable, ordered an edict in 2007 that banned women from going bareheaded in state buildings.

A spate of attacks last year on women for not wearing headscarves, which rights groups and assailants alike said were orchestrated by authorities, sparked outrage from Chechen women who said being forced to dress a certain way violated the Constitution.

Mirzayev said "short skirts, a naked head and loose hair" on women make men think they "only had half a brain" and would deter men from speaking to them. "This is our religion where there is nothing but modesty," he added.

Mufti Tells Women to Cover Up | News | The Moscow Times

• Banned
Nobody at a Christian missionarie is assaulting women because of what they wear.

Keep in mind that this is the Kremlin-loyal regime that the US tacitly supports. After all, the Department of State denounced the resistance fighters in Chechnya as "terrorists." :eusa_whistle:

Are you trying to imply the Russians are behind this mufti requesting the women to cover up?

I'm asking a simple question.

I know Russia has fought 2 wars in Chechnya, now the regime in Chechnya is very friendly with the Russians, but what does any of this have to do with the muftis request?

He's an instrument of the Kremlin, which has demonstrated its hostility toward Islam and Muslims by brutally suppressing the movement for Chechen independence and self-determination since the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Incidentally, I don't understand why you all are getting so upset over somebody asking Muslim women in an overwhelmingly Islamic country to observe Islamic standards of dress. :eusa_eh:

I'm asking a simple question.

I know Russia has fought 2 wars in Chechnya, now the regime in Chechnya is very friendly with the Russians, but what does any of this have to do with the muftis request?

He's an instrument of the Kremlin, which has demonstrated its hostility toward Islam and Muslims by brutally suppressing the movement for Chechen independence and self-determination since the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Incidentally, I don't understand why you all are getting so upset over somebody asking Muslim women in an overwhelmingly Islamic country to observe Islamic standards of dress. :eusa_eh:

I'm confused though, why would the Russians instruct the mufti to tell women to cover up? I thought the Russians wanted to make Chechnya less Islamic? People here scoff at others trying to tell them how to dress.

Asking them is fine, it's the beating, raping and killing part I have a problem with.

I'm confused though, why would the Russians instruct the mufti to tell women to cover up? I thought the Russians wanted to make Chechnya less Islamic? People here scoff at others trying to tell them how to dress.

I'm not implying that the Kremlin tells him what to say; I simply doubt that they would have allowed him to rise to a prominent position if he wasn't somehow useful to them.

I didn't see any mention of someone "telling" people to do anything.

Asking them is fine, it's the beating, raping and killing part I have a problem with.

Then it sounds like you're an enemy of Russia and the Kadyrov regime.

Nobody treats women like shit more then do the men of Muslim beliefs.

Forum List

Back