Islam - Religion of Peace?

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
Someone help me out here...

If Islam is so "peaceful" - then why do the following passages appear in the Quran and what do they mean if not to kill the non-muslims?

"Fight those who do not believe in Allah, nor in the latter day, nor do they prohibit what Allah and His Apostle have prohibited, nor follow the religion of truth, out of those who have been given the Book, until they pay the tax in acknowledgment of superiority and they are in a state of subjection."
Sura 9:29

"The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His apostle and strive to make mischief in the land is only this, that they should be murdered or crucified or their hands and their feet should be cut off on opposite sides or they should be imprisoned; this shall be as a disgrace for them in this world, and in the hereafter they shall have a grievous chastisement."
Sura 5:33

"So when you meet in battle those who disbelieve, then smite the necks until when you have overcome them, then make (them) prisoners, and afterwards either set them free as a favor or let them ransom (themselves) until the war terminates.
Sura 47:4

"Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great."
Sura 4:34

Allah's Apostle said, "I have been ordered to fight with the people till they say, 'None has the right to be worshipped but Allah,' and whoever says, 'None has the right to be worshipped but Allah,' his life and property will be saved by me."
(Al-Bukhari, 9 vols. translated by Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan, Al Nabawiya: Dar Ahya Us-Sunnah, n.d.)

When it was believed that one woman, Abu' Afk, had insulted Muhammad (by a poem), one of Muhammad's followers, "attacked her during the night while she was surrounded by her children, one of whom she was nursing...After removing the child from his victim, he killed her."
(Muhammad Husayn Haykal, The Life of Muhammad, p. 243.)

"Whoever changed his Islamic religion, then kill him."
(Al-Bukhari, 9 vols. translated by Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan, Al Nabawiya: Dar Ahya Us-Sunnah, n.d.)

The Prophet sent (some people) in their pursuit and so they were (caught and) brought, and the Prophet ordered that their hands and legs should be cut off and that their eyes should be branded with heated pieces of iron, and that their cut hands and legs should not be cauterized, till they die."

According to a tradition from prophet Muhammad, "The last hour won't come before the Muslims would fight the Jews and the Muslims will kill them so Jews would hide behind rocks and trees. Then the rocks and trees would call: oh, Muslim, oh, servant of God! There is a Jew, behind me, come and kill him."

Any muslims in the crowd here who can shed some light on this?

I'm surprised "TheRegular" hasn't commented on this yet...

Any other muslims out there?

Gop_jeff? Comon' bud, you were there.....

I'm sure one could find old testament verses which are equally as striking, when taken out of context.

But yeah...having said that, I can't see Islam as 'peaceful'

-=d=- said:
I'm sure one could find old testament verses which are equally as striking, when taken out of context.

But yeah...having said that, I can't see Islam as 'peaceful'

Well, that's what I'm looking for - I'd like some clarification on how the Quran reads.... and if they take every word literally or not...

Forum List

Back