Is this the begining of the end of prohibition

You love getting high we get it. Jeez....

You need not be a stoner to recognize that the laws against marijuana need to be repealed. Both medicinal and recreational.

This should be addressed by congress, not the executive just pissing on the laws they are sworn to uphold. How much more lawlessness are you willing to accept from this administration?
Legalization should be addressed by local authorities...not by the feds.

You need not be a stoner to recognize that the laws against marijuana need to be repealed. Both medicinal and recreational.

Exactly, it's that personal choice thing, and wasting of valuable resources better spent dealing with real criminals.

My expectation though is that the greed of government will tax, and regulate potency to the point that it would still encourage a black market
Liquor has no black market that I know of in locales where it is legal. Why would pot?

Exactly, it's that personal choice thing, and wasting of valuable resources better spent dealing with real criminals.

My expectation though is that the greed of government will tax, and regulate potency to the point that it would still encourage a black market

maybe, but if treated like alcohol, there won't be a black market
Exactly!

This should be addressed by congress, not the executive just pissing on the laws they are sworn to uphold. How much more lawlessness are you willing to accept from this administration?

you make a good point, however, why should the executive branch uphold unconstitutional laws? should a DA prosecute crimes that are unconstitutional?

yes, i am making the argument that prohibition on marijuana is unconstitutional.

Drug laws have consistently been held constitutional so until congress changes the law the executive has an obligation to enforce them. Congress has a history of violating the constitution and the majority of Americans are just fine with it until it affects them personally, so don't cherry pick, demand full constitutional compliance from all branches of government ALL THE TIME.
Congress has no business regulating pot AT ALL. It should be left up to the local authorities...same as is alcohol.

Prosecutorial discretion is a cornerstone of our legal system.

Prosecutorial discretion can only be used on a case by case basis, not as a license to excuse a whole class of criminals acts. The president is charged with the faithful execution of the law, nothing in the constitution gives him the authority to pick and chose, doing so is an abuse of power.

Nonsense.

As an example, it's illegal to "jaywalk" in NYC, but the NYPD has a standing policy to not enforce that law.
However, the law makes it easy to blame the pedestrian rather than the driver when accidents occur in the middle of the block. Hit someone in the crosswalk and you are in trouble.

Prosecutorial discretion can only be used on a case by case basis, not as a license to excuse a whole class of criminals acts. The president is charged with the faithful execution of the law, nothing in the constitution gives him the authority to pick and chose, doing so is an abuse of power.

Nonsense.

As an example, it's illegal to "jaywalk" in NYC, but the NYPD has a standing policy to not enforce that law.

Correct.

And law enforcement entities – from the AG to the local sheriff’s department – are also at liberty to interpret the laws and enforce the laws in the context of prosecutorial discretion.

If legislative entities disagree with how their laws are being interpreted and enforced, they may amend and/or rewrite legislation to clarify their intent.
...but it should be done at the local level.

Prosecutorial discretion is a cornerstone of our legal system.

Every administration must pick and choose how federal resource will be used. In the 1950's communism was viewed as the greatest threat to the nation and that's where federal law enforcement were most focused. Drugs took a back seat until the late 70's and 80's. Terrorism became the focus in 1990's. There is never enough resources to do justice to all laws and it's the president's responsibility to decide how those resources will be best used.

As a practical matter, the DEA is very dependent on the help and support of local law enforcement and the community. Where marijuana usage and sales has been legalized locally the support for enforcing federal laws in regard to marijuana disappears.
...as it should. I have no problem with federal enforcement of laws against hard drugs (narcotics). Marijuana is not a narcotic.

I will never vote to legalize pot in my state.
Then vote! Let each locality determine its own rules regarding pot.

Isn't it amazing....................

That when Obama and the Dems of the Federal Gov't finally believe in State's Rights it's to SMOKE A JOINT.......................

You just can't make this shit up.

The Irony.

LMAO................................
Don't forget...Obama was (possibly still is) a druggy. He posed for pictures...with that silly fuckin' hat and a doobie. No doubt in my mind that he has done cocaine also.

Just because pot is legal it doesn't mean there should be no consequences.

My step great granddaughter is four. She does acting work in commercials. Her mother brings her up here from Orange county. Sometimes there are 3-4 hours between call backs. My step granddaughter would love to come here, put the baby down for a nap, take a rest rather than hang out at the mall. My step granddaughter does not use pot but her husband does. They can't come here. Consequences. Zero tolerance. Punishment. Laws are unnecessary. I have the same freedom to act they do.
You should allow your step granddaughter to bring your step great granddaughter to visit you without your step grandson-in-law's presence. You are denying your step great granddaughter the right to know her step great grandfather. What a shame!

Cannabis has been used by humans as medicine since forever. The AMA was not consulted and was barely notified about the law in 1937 when Congress, in a back room deal, passed a prohibitive tax against it. The president should order the FDA to re-classify Marijuana from a schedule 1 narcotic with no medicinal value. No government entity should prohibit what I smoke in my own home. Not Congress, not my state or local government either. If I want to grow herbs and plants for myself and my family to use medically, or spiritually, it's none of their business.
Marijuana is not a narcotic.

Legally speaking, Marijuana is NOT a narcotic. Marijuana is essentially Cannabis and thus Cannabis is not a narcotic either. The definition of the word Narcotic can be a noun or an adjective. There are marijuana could be used in speech as being a narcotic, but the word in legal terms would not apply. In the federal controlled substances act Marijuana is listed as a non-narcotic. Cocaine is also NOT a narcotic. However, opium and heroin are narcotics.

Marijuana Information, Is Marijuana a Narcotic?

Removing MJ from Schedule I would allow the several states to decide to outlaw, regulate or make MJ no different than the basil or mint grown in herb gardens all over our country.

I believe MJ should be regulated like alcohol and tobacco should replace MJ as a Schedule I drug.
Exactly! Cigarettes are addictive and kill more people than the law should allow. Cigarettes should be illegal, pot not. However, the government (at all levels) makes too much money from taxing cigarettes for it to be made illegal. Duh! They could make just as much or more from taxing pot. The price of pot would go down...the taxes would go up..making the pot just about as expensive as it is on the (now) black market. Fuckin' DUH!

I will never vote to legalize pot in my state.

Why?

Because it is harmful
...but cigarettes are more harmful.

Last edited:

That when Obama and the Dems of the Federal Gov't finally believe in State's Rights it's to SMOKE A JOINT.......................

The Irony.

Its so ironic, its hard to even interpret it. I mean really, you put it perfect.

This is a move to allow more freedom, more states rights. And the tea party idiots are mad about it? All of a sudden, they WANT the government enforcing all laws to the letter of the law, with no discretion.

So, do they not believe the shit they preach? OR, are they willing to throw their beliefs out the window just to smear the black guy in the White House?

Real freedom is not protection of drug addicts. If it were legal for me to blow the head off drug users it wouldn't matter what drugs they took or how much. The government has taken a position that druggies can victimize others but there is no corresponding right to stop them.

Trayvon martin was a pothead. For that reason alone Zimmerman was justified in putting a bullet in his heart. Yet libtards find a right for martin to use, but no right for Zimmerman to stop the pothead's attack.

The bizarre stupidity that conservatives contrive and believe is remarkable.

Also remarkable is conservative authoritarianism and contempt for the rule of law.

The Irony.

Its so ironic, its hard to even interpret it. I mean really, you put it perfect.

This is a move to allow more freedom, more states rights. And the tea party idiots are mad about it? All of a sudden, they WANT the government enforcing all laws to the letter of the law, with no discretion.

So, do they not believe the shit they preach? OR, are they willing to throw their beliefs out the window just to smear the black guy in the White House?

The latter.

I am no one's grandfather step or otherwise.

If my step granddaughter want to lay up here while she waits she can divorce her pothead husband and get a restraining order against him. I'd even do the action for her.

Zero tolerance means zero tolerance.

If my step granddaughter want to lay up here while she waits she can divorce her pothead husband and get a restraining order against him. I'd even do the action for her.

Off topic...but how can you claim to have a step granddaughter without being her step grandfather? Inquisitive minds need to know.

Tobacco and alcohol are not?

You asked why i told you

ok then i will ask the question....so why are Alcohol and Tobacco legal when they do way more damage to the individual and the family?.....

Because the people pushed for them to be . which is still not an argument to legalize pot. I can drinking beer not be drunk. you cannot smoke a joint and say your not high. Well you can say it but you would be lying

Liquor has no black market that I know of in locales where it is legal. Why would pot?

Just because you don't know of an illegal market and how to acquire the product means it doesn't exist? Not saying I do, but I can get a case of Whiskey dropped off within the hour and it's sure not a legal case, but alcohol is perfectly legal here.

If you regulate anything people want to the point of excess and make its price prohibitive there is going to be a black market for it.

Off topic...but how can you claim to have a step granddaughter without being her step grandfather? Inquisitive minds need to know.

I can't believe you said that! I just can't! Sit down and think about it for a moment. I know you will figure it out.

U.S. allows states to legalize recreational marijuana within limits

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - In a move marijuana advocates hailed as a historic shift, the Obama administration on Thursday began giving U.S. states wide leeway to experiment with pot legalization and started by letting Colorado and Washington carry out new laws permitting recreational use.

The Justice Department said it would refocus marijuana enforcement nationwide by bringing criminal charges only in eight defined areas - such as distribution to minors - and giving breathing room to users, growers and related businesses that have feared prosecution.

U.S. allows states to legalize recreational marijuana within limits

i hope so

Until the federal government repeals its ban, which in my opinion is unconstitutional anyway, this is only subject to the whims of which ever administration is in office.

I support the Tea Party Patriots so consider me in the party of Idiots. While I'm glad you see the Irony of it all, you simply see it on the opposite spectrum.

The Irony is that finally Obama is concerned with State's Rights as he hasn't given a damn about them in the past.

Correct, he's engaging in selective application of the Constitution just like conservatives do.

If Congress has given the Executive Branch this power, why shouldn't he exorcize it?

maybe, but if treated like alcohol, there won't be a black market
You missed his point. If government charges too much for lousy pot, the black market will supply good pot.

Pipe dreams are amazing. The government hasn't legalized the manufacture of alcohol in a hundred years and they are arresting cigarette smokers. Meanwhile pot heads think they are going to legalize marijuana. Dream on.

Individuals simply have to enforce their own rules. If your kid uses pot throw them out. Don't let it in your home or your life. Practice shunning. Call the police. File complaints against your neighbors. Start some trouble. Work for bans in your city, homeowner's associations, apartment buildings, offices. If it's legal just hound them away until the only place they can be is their own little cities. Treat pot like cigarettes.

All this rolling over because a few potheads got a vote in two states is silly.

I bet you're one of those Mormon freaks. :lol:

The Irony.

I support the Tea Party Patriots so consider me in the party of Idiots. While I'm glad you see the Irony of it all, you simply see it on the opposite spectrum.

The Irony is that finally Obama is concerned with State's Rights as he hasn't given a damn about them in the past.

Give us examples of Obama not giving a damn about States Rights.

Individuals simply have to enforce their own rules. If your kid uses pot throw them out. Don't let it in your home or your life. Practice shunning. Call the police. File complaints against your neighbors. Start some trouble. Work for bans in your city, homeowner's associations, apartment buildings, offices. If it's legal just hound them away until the only place they can be is their own little cities. Treat pot like cigarettes.

All this rolling over because a few potheads got a vote in two states is silly.

I bet you're one of those Mormon freaks. :lol:

way to show us that Democrat tolerance

Forum List

Back