Is there already a thread about this?

mmkay, think about that for awhile and maybe a light bulb will go off in your head. Maybe rereading the thread will help.

I've thought about this quite awhile now but I still don't get it. How will not rebuilding New Orleans affect our oil supply ?

Last edited:
The way I see it, Alaskans are getting dividends based on the state budget surplus. High price of oil brought more money into budget so state is giving it back to Alaskans. Annual payment based on surplus is more acceptable then a taxcut.

Now question? If your state has budget surplus, would they do the same?

Here's what I could find on it.

Alaska residents will get annual oil royalty dividend of $1,654 each - International Herald Tribune

The dividend checks are derived from the state's oil royalty investment program and distributed each year to eligible residents — just for living here for a full calendar year.

Sounds a bit like the Oregon kicker checks.

The state established the Alaska Permanent Fund in 1976 after North Slope oil was discovered. Dividends have been paid since 1982, ranging from $331 to a record high of $1,963 in 2000. Last year's dividend check was $1,106.

It was set up long before Sarah came along. And the largest check didn't come under her watch.

Ame®icano;773097 said:
The way I see it, Alaskans are getting dividends based on the state budget surplus. High price of oil brought more money into budget so state is giving it back to Alaskans. Annual payment based on surplus is more acceptable then a taxcut.

Now question? If your state has budget surplus, would they do the same?

Oregon does. It's one of the many things I love about this state.

I didn't catch the whole story but I heard George Snuffleupagus say something on his show yesterday about how Alaskan residents got to vote themselves a $1,200 check each that was tied to a ballot question opening up more areas for drilling. Basically, allow the oil companies to drill and you get a $1,200 kickback each. Honestly, it seems way too egregious to be true. Anyone know anything about this?

The Alaska state legislature had approved and passed Palin's deal for an exclusive natural gas pipeline license for TransCanada Corp. This will result in a multi-billion dollar oil revenue surplus for Alaska. Palin had proposed that state lawmakers pay out $1200 to residents as a way of sharing that increased wealth with the residents in the form of a resource rebate. At the same time Palin asked the legislature to suspend the state's fuel tax which they did.

Alaska has a Permanent Fund that issues annual rebate checks to residents from the state's oil trust fund and this $1200 would be added to it so the full total of rebate checks is somewhere around $2900. This additional amount was already signed into law -so they are getting the money. The first of the Alaska rebate checks are scheduled to go out in just a few weeks.

Last edited:
The Alaska state legislature had approved and passed Palin's deal for an exclusive natural gas pipeline license for TransCanada Corp. This will result in a multi-billion dollar oil revenue surplus for Alaska. Palin had proposed that state lawmakers pay out $1200 to residents as a way of sharing that increased wealth with the residents in the form of a resource rebate. At the same time Palin asked the legislature to suspend the state's fuel tax which they did.

Alaska has a Permanent Fund that issues annual rebate checks to residents from the state's oil trust fund and this $1200 would be added to it so the full total of rebate checks is somewhere around $2900. This additional amount was already signed into law -so they are getting the money. The first of the Alaska rebate checks are scheduled to go out in just a few weeks.
"McCain's campaign team, along with Alaskan Republicans, has been quick to credit Palin for overcoming past obstacles and pushing the project through. But with support for the proposed pipeline cutting across party lines, she was in part the beneficiary of lucky timing, with high energy prices driving demand for some kind of a deal. Indeed, the pipeline's promise has even been trumpeted by Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama, who, in a speech this summer (given well in advance of Palin's selection), praised the project's potential for "delivering clean natural gas and creating good jobs in the process."U.S. News
They have been working on the deal for years, Palin just happened to in office when it was finalized!

"

Forum List

Back