Zone1 Is the Pope worthy of the title "Holy Father" just like God?

K9Buck

Platinum Member
Dec 25, 2009
Jesus called God "Holy Father". Do you believe that the Pope is deserving of that exalted title which puts him on the same level as God? Can we surmise that the Catholic Church's army of esteemed theologians concluded it was appropriate to put the Pope on the same level as God?

John 17:11​

English Standard Version​

11 And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one.

Do you believe that the Pope is deserving of that exalted title which puts him on the same level as God?
Perhaps you missed the memo. No one believes this pope or any other is on the same level as God. The official title of the pope is, The Servant of the Servants of God.

• Banned
Perhaps you missed the memo. No one believes this pope or any other is on the same level as God. The official title of the pope is, The Servant of the Servants of God.
So why do Catholics call the Pope "Holy Father"? Jesus called God "Holy Father". Don't you think that the Catholic Church should have reserved that title for God alone?

Jesus called God "Holy Father". Do you believe that the Pope is deserving of that exalted title which puts him on the same level as God?

No. Perhaps at one time maybe, but the Pope is not God, he is a man, therefore fallible. Since the death of Pope John Paul, whom I believe was a true man of god through whom God acted, most every pope since has increasingly become more and more POLITICAL, acting farther and farther outside the traditional role of the church, to where now, the Church is even endorsing things that at one time, it never would have.

They would argue that the Church is evolving, changing with the times, but that very suggestion shows that the Church no longer holds to any absolute ideal or doctrine and is becoming increasingly more a reflection of arbitrary social influence instead of an absolute bulwark of Christian belief.

The church is now "evolving" to where soon, I expect they will be endorsing homosexuality and other sinful things as passable, signalling the death knell of the Church, for a church which can mean anything, means nothing.

• Banned
Catholics call the Pope "Holy Father" but that isn't one of his official titles. What is interesting is that it is allowed by the church.
To me it's an abomination that the various Popes have willingly usurped that title from GOD.

So why do Catholics call the Pope "Holy Father"? Jesus called God "Holy Father". Don't you think that the Catholic Church should have reserved that title for God alone?
I'm the wrong person to ask, as I seldom, if ever, address anyone by a title or even by their name. I simply begin talking to them. Come to think of it, I often do the same with God in prayer.

How do you address God in prayer? Do you begin with Holy Father or God Most Holy?

Jesus called God "Holy Father". Do you believe that the Pope is deserving of that exalted title which puts him on the same level as God? Can we surmise that the Catholic Church's army of esteemed theologians concluded it was appropriate to put the Pope on the same level as God?

11 And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one.
3 mistakes you make here.
Even the word "Father" invalidates your point., I call God Father and my Father Father but God , me , and my Fatherr know that some morons think a word is a thing. It isn't , it totally depends on the referent,
as SCRIPTURE says !!! 14 For this reason I kneel before the Father, 15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name

There is the first reality and there are derived realities.

2) you conflate name with 'level' , which is the trick of Sophists since the time of Aristotle and Plato
I call my Mom the greatest Mom in the world -- but you would attack me because Mary or God or whoever is REALLY the greatest Mom
Pure stupidity.

3) Do you feel no shame in claiming -- and this is by YOUR use of words, ok ---that you are greater in knowledge and sincerity and godliness than an 'army of esteemed theologians". to me you ARE POMPOUS MORON, conceited and doing the Devil's work merrily

The Catholic church itself is going to have to make a decision and then it will be official.

It's not going to require any literal interpretation of the bible.The church has become much more open to any and all interpretations on such questions.

I would however recommend being consistent with Evolution.

to me you ARE POMPOUS MORON, conceited and doing the Devil's work merrily
For saying that Jesus's description of God as "Holy Father" should be reserved for God alone and not usurped by men?

How would you feel if every preacher in America insisted on being called "Holy Father"?

"Call no man your father upon the earth: for One is your Father, which is in heaven." -- Matthew 23:9 The "Master" Priest? "Neither be ye called masters; for One is your Master, even Christ." -- Matthew 23:10 Jesus Christ (not the pope) is the High Priest of Christianity (Hebrews 9:11)......the Master of His kingdom/church. The kingdom should bear the name of its Master........CHRIST. As one must invoke the name of Jesus to enter the kingdom/church (Acts 2:38, Matthew 28:18-20)

Thus...........No, the POPE is not the master nor the father of Christianity. All Christians are members of a Royal Priesthood that do not require the presence of a middle man to stand between the Christian and God, the Christian can approach the Throne in prayers and supplication with the Christ standing as our Advocate.

"You too are living stones (Spiritual Temple of God), built upon an edifice (spiritual temples with walls and roof) of Spirit, into a Holy Priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ." -- 1 Peter 2:5 (1 Peter 2:9, Revelation 1:6)

Jesus Christ is now on the RIGHT HAND OF THE FATHER.......sitting on king David's throne as High Priest of His Kingdom/Church in order to make intercession as advocate (defender) of His people......(Hebrews 7:25, 9:24)

The Catholic church itself is going to have to make a decision and then it will be official.

It's not going to require any literal interpretation of the bible.The church has become much more open to any and all interpretations on such questions.

I would however recommend being consistent with Evolution.
Are you worthy of 'child of God" you hypocrite of great proportioni.

1 JOHN 3:1
See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!

HYPOCRITE !!!!

The pope and all priests, reverends or rabbis are deserving of anything he requests and his parish or congregation is willing to bestow on him. After all, it’s a gathering of believers. If they believe something strong enough, sure, go for it.

Are you worthy of 'child of God" you hypocrite of great proportioni.

1 JOHN 3:1
See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!

HYPOCRITE !!!!
Now wait. The entire Bible is rhetorical in order to generate a pre determined reaction. Why not “ name calling”.
Does the church leader need more reverence in their eyes ? Then sure.

Matthew 23:9, "And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven." Some priests are known as "father" as well. Seems like Catholics like to usurp the position of Heavenly Father.

Forum List

Back