Is the Mainstream Media Controlled?

The MSM is controlled by the same people who control the government.

It is corporate owned and does not publish anything that is in conflict with the politics of its owners.

If that was true, then how come when the Downing Street Memo's went public, it was the biggest story all over the world for two weeks, but barely got mentioned here in this country?

If that was true, why in 2003, when an anti-Iraq war rally that involved over 15 million people around the world and a rally in Washington of over 400,000 people, did the MSM give the same amount of coverage (1:20) it did to a pro-Iraq war rally that drew 400 people that same day?

Anti-Iraq war rally

Pro-Iraq war rally

Just because an organization is run by idiots doesn't mean it's controlled by the gubbermint.

I don't think the media is "controlled" in that you still have a wide variety of viewpoints and perspectives on it.

In fact, the media is "Marketted"... they develop media product designed to appeal to core audiences. So if you are a wingnut who thinks Obama was born in Keyna, you have Fox News. And if you are crazier than that, you have Michael Savage's show.

I think what is more alarming is that 90% of the media in this country is controlled by five companies (Disney, Comcast, ViaCom, Time-Warner-Turner, Newscorp)

I don't think the media is "controlled" in that you still have a wide variety of viewpoints and perspectives on it.

In fact, the media is "Marketted"... they develop media product designed to appeal to core audiences. So if you are a wingnut who thinks Obama was born in Keyna, you have Fox News. And if you are crazier than that, you have Michael Savage's show.

I think what is more alarming is that 90% of the media in this country is controlled by five companies (Disney, Comcast, ViaCom, Time-Warner-Turner, Newscorp)

4 of 5 are run by people of a certain ethnicity/religion. A coincidence?

Billo_Really said:
The MSM is controlled by the same people who control the government.

It is corporate owned and does not publish anything that is in conflict with the politics of its owners.
Indeed...... IT IS QUITE UNRELIABLE GARBAGE!!

Controlled by market forces both in content and in depth; not by someone dictating the day's news events. If you think about it, having one person sitting atop the food chain determining what gets covered would be preferable in many cases because there will be some who agree with him or her. When market forces decide, there is danger that there is no coverage of any depth that people determine important.

Check this out:

Time+covers.jpg

Forum List

Back