Is the Health Care Reform Bill dead?

Is the Health Care Reform Bill going to go down in flames?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
More on Congressman Ryan's attempt to woo seniors (Medicare recipients are much more likely to vote Republican than the uninsured, who would benefit most from the Democrat's bill(s). Think what he's doing isn't political? Think again. Ryan couldn't give a shit about your health care.

Perhaps Ryan is unaware that his counterparts on Capital Hill who shamelessly voted for the Prescription Drug Bill (a multi-billion dollar mandated, UNFUNDED piece of major legislation intended to attract seniors) are the same ones who continue to decry the cost factor of any new health care legislation. Isn't he aware that only five years ago, John Kyl (one of the biggest naysayers of the current legislation) said about the Part D bill "I am committed to ensuring its successful implementation and will fight attempts to erode it"??? That, my friends, is political hypocrisy at its worst.

Ryan whined that Republicans didn't get enough media attention on health care as it moved through Congress. WHOT?! Why then does he think all polling shows it (and the Democrats, actually) as losing ground? Doesn't he realize that the evil "liberal" media focused more on the negativity and less on the positive? Or perhaps he thinks that the reason most Americans are no longer in favor of health care reform is that some mystical transcendation took place that brainwashed people in their sleep.

Why are Republicans continuing to pound away on this near-dead issue if not solely to score political points? If the economy weren't otherwise teetering on the brink, health care SHOULD be and WOULD be a top priority. Why can't they just say that? It's a truth everyone understands.
When your house in on fire, you don't start a kitchen remodel......

PS- The prescription drug program was a colossal fuck up- but it had bi-partisan support so blame goes to both parties...

Scott Brown is in for quite a shock when he learns (sooner rather than later) that backroom wheeling and dealing is how ANYTHING AT ALL gets put into law.

Actually its the congress that is in for a shock when they find out the American voter is going to kick them out of office for doing so and go against the status quo like we just did here in MA on tuesday.

Those are expected words after a major "win," but you still haven't answered my question (or maybe I posed it in another thread, can't remember). Who is going to replace all those Republicans who are simply playing politics as usual that you so despise? And frankly, do you really think that Scott Brown (and others who will follow) have the magic answer? Or will they too get swept up in the machine that runs the government? Are you suggesting that you're hoping for, gasp, "change" to come to Washington? Hmmm, imagine that. Good luck.

Hopefully either democrats, a new republican, or best of all and independant politiican.
I do not think Scott Brown himself is the majic answer. what I do think is the behavior the voters of my state showed on tuesday is the majic answer. It is how we hold the politicians accountable (for more on that click the link in my sig line)
That is the big danger which will probably happen. When it does we kick them out and replace them too. Too bad we didn't have term limits ;)

I've always hoped for that which is why I had such high hopes when obama got elected. Its also why I appear so upset at him, i was very dissapointed.

Scott Brown is in for quite a shock when he learns (sooner rather than later) that backroom wheeling and dealing is how ANYTHING AT ALL gets put into law.

In fact, the lesson the Dems should have taken from these events is that back room wheeling and dealing failed to get anything done because it cost them the trust of the American people and that, in large part, helped to get Scott Brown elected. While Obama, Pelosi and Reid are apparently too dull witted to get the message, Brown seems to understand he now holds the people's seat in the Senate and that if he hopes to continue to be successful, he will have to keep the people's trust by allowing them to approve or disapprove of any "deals" that are proposed.

Brown understands squat right now. Here's a news flash: Absolutely NOTHING, zero, nada, zip would get accomplished without back room negotiations over fine points. It has been going on since colonial times.

Brown understands what Obama, Pelosi and Reid seem unable to understand, that what got him into office is the people's trust, not back room deals, and to stay in office he will have to keep that trust by not making the same stupid mistakes Obama, Pelosi and Reid have been making for the last year. As for your assertion that nothing gets done without back room deals, that is simply not true. The truth is that nothing the people would disapprove of gets done without back room deals. The same kind of political cynicism you are expressing is what brought down the Dem's health care/insurance debacle, got Scott Brown elected and has nearly every Congressional Dem up for reelection next fall in a near panic.

In fact, the lesson the Dems should have taken from these events is that back room wheeling and dealing failed to get anything done because it cost them the trust of the American people and that, in large part, helped to get Scott Brown elected. While Obama, Pelosi and Reid are apparently too dull witted to get the message, Brown seems to understand he now holds the people's seat in the Senate and that if he hopes to continue to be successful, he will have to keep the people's trust by allowing them to approve or disapprove of any "deals" that are proposed.

Brown understands squat right now. Here's a news flash: Absolutely NOTHING, zero, nada, zip would get accomplished without back room negotiations over fine points. It has been going on since colonial times.

Brown understands what Obama, Pelosi and Reid seem unable to understand, that what got him into office is the people's trust, not back room deals, and to stay in office he will have to keep that trust by not making the same stupid mistakes Obama, Pelosi and Reid have been making for the last year. As for your assertion that nothing gets done without back room deals, that is simply not true. The truth is that nothing the people would disapprove of gets done without back room deals. The same kind of political cynicism you are expressing is what brought down the Dem's health care/insurance debacle, got Scott Brown elected and has nearly every Congressional Dem up for reelection next fall in a near panic.

But what you apparently aren't getting is that Republicans were shown the door in 06 and 08 for the very same type of cynicism and Our-Way-Or-The-Highway arrogance. Nothing changes except the party name and where they prioritize the agenda. While I admire any new lawmaker's noble efforts to "change the system," they simply can't do it single handedly, nor even with a caucus. Before he knows what's happening, Scott Brown will be attending some of those backroom conferences where the deals are cut. Remember fiery Patrick McHenry who made a whole lot of noise his first year as a junior congressman? Where's his voice these days? Who makes the most noise for the GOP these days? Certainly no elected official, other than Boehner and McConnell, whose regurgitated rhetoric might as well be programmed on a CD attached to black boxes on their backs.

If the tone deaf Democrats attempt to pass this bill now - they will be committing political suicide and they know it. Also, the bill will never stand up to the inevitable constitutional challenges. For all intents and purposes -Obamacare is DEAD.

Now it is time to look at solutions that do not entail nationalizing 1/6th of the economy.

I don't believe it's tone deafness. I truly believe they hear all of it but they think they know what we want better than we do.

But you then must be listening to the Republicans, who think they know what you (collectively "you") want.

Both parties fail to represent the common people of this country. The wingers on each side coerce the middle of the road people to follow them because the wingers are the ones with the power. As far as listening, I try to listen to all sides but I am very able to come to my own conclusions.
Your assumption could not be more wrong. Both parties fail us and anyone that disagrees is either a winger or stupid or in a house where mom and dad pay all the bills. I do lean more to the right, but the sad part is, when you choose a party these days you get all the shit the wingers bring in that shoudn't be touched by federal government.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aOILuS1i_M&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Getting It Done: The Year In Obama-Led Health Care Reform[/ame]

bottom line from the above: Americans have just been too stupid for the nuances. They need to spell it all out, nice and slow...

Forum List

Back