Is Teaching a respected Profession in This country?

Teaching a respected Profession in the United States?

• yes

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • no

Votes: 26 68.4%

• Total voters
Now, list the salaries of other professionals in Long Island with comparable educations (Professional degrees of 5 years plus)

Comnpare apples to apples.
Lets go the other way.....

Most people work 230 days.....50 days more
Most people in my area with 5 year plus degrees work 8-6.....2 hours more a day...10 hours a week....500 hours a year.....or about the equivalent of about another 45 days based on a teachers work day.

So the others work the equivalent to about 275 days compared to 180 days of teachers.

Now, putting aside the "toll" on those working 275 days compared to working 180 days....

180 days is to 90K a year is equal; to about 137K......which for an attorney who is not partenr is on target.....for an accountant...on target

And again....that is taking two things out of the formula...the toll of 275 days compared to 180 days.....and the fact that both teaqchers and accountants opt to choose their profession.

Teachers are not underpaid.

I notice that you did not provide those figures. That bad, eh?

Long Island Schools

It mentions average salary for teacher as 75K and average span of tenure 12 years...
But average includes first year teachers.....so no doubt it confirms the numbers.

I'm sorry...you seem to be under the impression that that has not happened before. It does. I blame your teachers for not teaching you how to research an assertion before making it.

Not in Florida. We are a right to work state and Nurses cannot legally strike. Nurses care about their patients. Evidently teachers don't give a fuck about their kids otherwise they'd have their asses in the classroon teaching.

You're lumping individuals into a group. They aren't. There are many excellent teachers, there are many average teachers, there are a few shit teachers. And the majority care very much about their students. This is two separate issues - striking to protect your benefits - however, wrong - does not make anyone an uncaring or bad teacher.
Illegally striking to protest having to pay half of what everyone else does for better bennefits does.

They should all be fired.

Notice how the far RW fringers are quick to attack and label their fellow American workers that are PEACEFULLY protesting their mistreatment as "using the threat of violence."

Yet, when RWers came to public rallies with rifles and assault weapons they called it excersizing their Rights.

Interesting how that works in the Far RW minds...isn't it?

Raygun musta told them that education was evil. No wonder they're always trying to de-fund the Dept of Education. Wonder how many of the RW-ranters on this thread were home schooled?

The Department of Education has never educated a child in its 32 years of existence. It's just another bad idea of Jimmy Carter. We'd be better without it. His attempt to grow government by separating into whole new government agencies the old Department of HEW (Health, Education and Welfare). A nice cost cutting measure would be to "streamline" that work force and re-assemble that old department.

Maybe with less people, they'd think of less crap to do? We can only hope.

Notice how the far RW fringers are quick to attack and label their fellow American workers that are PEACEFULLY protesting their mistreatment as "using the threat of violence."

Yet, when RWers came to public rallies with rifles and assault weapons they called it excersizing their Rights.

Interesting how that works in the Far RW minds...isn't it?

Marcy, the only way to continue the same union deals is to raise taxes. They can't sustain the union deals with the current budget.

ONLY 2 choices: Cut benefits, or raise taxes. Unions want taxes raised.

And like Bodecea, I must explain to you how taxes are collected:

Gov't passes involuntary tax hike.
Citizen must pay the tax.
If citizen doesn't pay the tax, gov't sends men with guns to gain compliance.
If citizen doesn't comply, men with guns will use force (aka violence if necessary) to gain compliance.

How is that concept so foreign to you? Do you lefties realize how the Soviets gained resources for their massive central government? By killing their citizens, forcefully confiscating their property.

Do you have any idea how many threats and bogus accusations high school teachers have to deal with? Without a union, any punk who claims "she touched my privates" could have a teacher fired immediately. We had a teacher charged with simple assault for accidently hitting a kid while gesturing the kids to ¤ove during a fire drill. It was dropped - after a fucking year. We had a female teacher accused of groping a girls crotch when she grabbed a fallen paper on her lap. I was accused of making PRANK PHONE CALLS to a kid I hardly knew. That's why we pay union dues. It has little to do with our "outrageous salaries" (cough cough) and everything to do with job protection.

When was the last time someone at your workplace said "I know where you live"?

Yep it comes with the territory. But walk a week in someone else's shoes, and I guarantee teachers will no longer be referred to as "Public Enemy #1"
Kinda interesting that it now seems that about once a month nowadays there are teachers in public schools caught having sex with their minor students. Another one was caught just last week feeding her student Vodka and fucking him in the backseat of her SUV. And you wonder why there might be trust issues regarding teachers?

Simple solution for all you claim.......Do what our kids private school does and put cameras with web access in every public classroom in this country. We have the ability at anytime to log on and see and hear exactly what is going on in the classrooms at any given time.......The students know this, the teachers know this. They have but one choice, they do what they are supposed to be doing while there. The teachers teach in a quality way, the students learn in a quality. Anything else, they suffer the consequences.

Those teachers are well paid. They work year round. None of this 3 month off BS. When not in class teaching while the kids are out on break for summer, Xmas or easter, they are required to attend classes pertaining to the subjects they teach. They are required to test twice a year on the classes they teach. They are required to attend training on keeping control of their classrooms. They are required to attend classes on how to conduct themselves amongst students.......Basically, they are paid well to do their jobs as expected. And they do a damn good job at it.

LMAO!

Thanks for further proving my point:clap2::clap2:......Fact is, i'd bury in you on an IQ test.....But you keep projecting. It only further shows your glaring weaknesses.

See? If Wicked had had a decent education, he would know that IQ is an indicator of intelligence, not of one's education...that's why children are given IQ tests in 3rd grade....but, again. I blame his teachers. Not his fault. They didn't make it "fun" enough for him.

How can YOU comment one someone else's low IQ?

You didn't know police background checks DQ'ed people for drug use and associations with terrorists.

And on this very thread, YOU were confused when I said taxes are taken by threat of violence.

You have no place to question another's IQ.
c'mon, it's Bode. She probobly thinks IQ means "I quote".

Last edited:
Teaching is respected.

Unionizing in order to manipulate the political system for excessive benefits and pensions is not.

Teachers ARE Unions. Unions ARE Teachers.

If teachers WERE respected by kids, parents, America...do you think unions would be necessary?

years ago Teachers were respected more than now....and they still had Unions.....:eusa_eh:

LMAO!

Thanks for further proving my point:clap2::clap2:......Fact is, i'd bury in you on an IQ test.....But you keep projecting. It only further shows your glaring weaknesses.

See? If Wicked had had a decent education, he would know that IQ is an indicator of intelligence, not of one's education...that's why children are given IQ tests in 3rd grade....but, again. I blame his teachers. Not his fault. They didn't make it "fun" enough for him.

holy smokes, you haven't wore that one insult on others edumacations out yet?
That's all she has.....It's that one track mind syndrome she obviously suffers from.

(For example, taking sick days and using students for their own gain is irresponsible IMO.) I'm still unsure as to why teacher unions are so important. Do teachers really have it that bad that they need to pay union dues for representation that they cannot get themselves?

X....are you saying if said teacher has the flu they should come in anyway and infect the kids who then go home and infect their household?...just asking.....

Harry! Are you saying it's okay for the lying striking teacher cnut to call in sick when they aren't and then drag the children out into the streets to strike with them?? what kind of role model is that?

Here on Long Island NY....

Work year....... 180 days
Mandatory hours to be on school premises.....8AM-4PM
Mandatory schedule.......42 minute lunch break.....42 mninute administrative break (can be used to grade exams or sit in teachers lounge)
Permission by contract.....after 4PM a teacher may private tutor at any cost and do so with students in their class or any student from any school
Going Rate per hour for tutoring.....$60
Salary for teacher with 15 years tenure (usually age 37).....90K
Medical coverage....100% paid family plan including dental and optical
Pension....100% contribution by the town

Overpaid?

Certainly not underpaid

Now, list the salaries of other professionals in Long Island with comparable educations (Professional degrees of 5 years plus)

Comnpare apples to apples.
Lets go the other way.....

Most people work 230 days.....50 days more
Most people in my area with 5 year plus degrees work 8-6.....2 hours more a day...10 hours a week....500 hours a year.....or about the equivalent of about another 45 days based on a teachers work day.

So the others work the equivalent to about 275 days compared to 180 days of teachers.

Now, putting aside the "toll" on those working 275 days compared to working 180 days....

180 days is to 90K a year is equal; to about 137K......which for an attorney who is not partenr is on target.....for an accountant...on target

And again....that is taking two things out of the formula...the toll of 275 days compared to 180 days.....and the fact that both teaqchers and accountants opt to choose their profession.

Teachers are not underpaid.

So?
No response?

Long Island Schools

The rhetoric holds no water.
Teahcers are well paid as I demonstrated. Respected. And actually have a very comfortable work schedule....with over 180 days off a year....and only 8 hour work days.
I find it selfish that they insist on being one group that is not affected by a recession and insist theoir entitlements be kept in tact.

(For example, taking sick days and using students for their own gain is irresponsible IMO.) I'm still unsure as to why teacher unions are so important. Do teachers really have it that bad that they need to pay union dues for representation that they cannot get themselves?

X....are you saying if said teacher has the flu they should come in anyway and infect the kids who then go home and infect their household?...just asking.....

Harry! Are you saying it's okay for the lying striking teacher cnut to call in sick when they aren't and then drag the children out into the streets to strike with them?? what kind of role model is that?
Good point............What it does is teach those kids that it's ok to shirk on their responsibilities. To cause financial problems for parents who have to miss work at a loss of pay because the teachers aren't in the school teaching, thereby having the parent stress on daycare and whatnot at further expense to the parent. Like parents aren't already struggling to pay the bills nowadays.......And what are those dirtbag dem politicians who fled teaching those children?.....That it's perfectly fine for them to abandon their elected duties simply because they don't have the guts to come to the table and hammer out a compromise for the good of ALL citizens they represent. That it's perfectly OK to leave their citizens in the lurch by having a government that doesn't function.

This is going to end up being a disaster for these cronies. Wait and see.

Last edited:
Teahcers are well paid as I demonstrated. Respected. And actually have a very comfortable work schedule....with over 180 days off a year....and only 8 hour work days.
I find it selfish that they insist on being one group that is not affected by a recession and insist theoir entitlements be kept in tact.

I blame your teachers....not you.

lol...
well done.
I blame my inability to type well and my laziness as it pertains to proofreading.

But putting the fun aside....do you see my point?

Harry! Are you saying it's okay for the lying striking teacher cnut

I blame your teachers, not you.

to call in sick when they aren't and then drag the children out into the streets to strike with them?? what kind of role model is that?

Who dragged children out into the streets?

And what teachers are on strike?

lol...
well done.
I blame my inability to type well and my laziness as it pertains to proofreading.

180 days off? Are you sure you want to say that?

And I laugh at only an 8 hour work day for teachers. I laugh very hard. :lol::lol::lol:

lol...
well done.

180 days off? Are you sure you want to say that?

And I laugh at only an 8 hour work day for teachers. I laugh very hard. :lol::lol::lol:

school year is this year:

9-06-10 to 6-20-11

That is 9 months and 14 days or approximately 284 days
Less weekends during that span....80 days
Less the summer months NOT in that span.....81 days
Less 2 weeks Christmas Vacation.....10 days (not including weekends already calculated in)
Less 1 week winter break (Presidents week)....5 days
Less 1 week spring break.......5 days
Thanksgiving.....2 days
Memorial day....1 day
Martin Luther King Day....1 day

365 minus 80 minus 81 minus 10 minus 5 minus 5 minus 2 minus 1 minus 1= 180 days

Hours 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.....8 hour day

What is the issue here?

What is it that you are missing?

Good point............What it does is teach those kids that it's ok to shirk on their responsibilities.
Should teach them to stand up for their rights, and be a proud American Capitalist.
To cause financial problems for parents who have to miss work at a loss of pay because the teachers aren't in the school teaching, thereby having the parent stress on daycare and whatnot at further expense to the parent.
Shame on that governor causing parents to hire a baby sitter. I guess they are seeing how their vote was instrumental in their own demise. They may put their children in private schools for their new baby sitter, and get some bang for their buck.

Like parents aren't already struggling to pay the bills nowadays.......
Well yes indeed! Just like those teachers the governor is attacking.
And what are those dirtbag dem politicians who fled teaching those children?.....That it's perfectly fine for them to abandon their elected duties simply because they don't have the guts to come to the table and hammer out a compromise for the good of ALL citizens they represent. That it's perfectly OK to leave their citizens in the lurch by having a government that doesn't function.
Yeah, sounds like that dirt bag Palin who abandoned the Alaska citizens and left them in the lurch of a nonfunctional government. Tsk!

This is going to end up being a disaster for these cronies. Wait and see.

I think not, but we can wait and see alright.

FYI..

In NYS it is mandatory that the school have classes 180 days a year for the school to recioeve state funding.

180 days is the benchmark.

Why do you think such is made up?

It is factual as I demonstrated.

As I said...dont spew rhetoric....look at facts.

Forum List

Back